Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I just wanted to quote this portion because it is absolutely breathtakingly loving insane

Is the Venezuelan military still being paid?

who knows, but apparently maduro says he went into the future and said it was all cool.

https://www.elnuevoherald.com/noticias/mundo/america-latina/venezuela-es/article224629210.html

quote:

Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro surprised the Armed Forces of his country on Monday when during an inspection of the preparations for the Military Exercise Soberanía 2019 he assured that he had traveled to the future and returned.

"Be assured that everything will turn out well and that we will come out stronger and wiser from this conjuncture. A handful of immature improvisers can not damage the republican life of Venezuela, "said the president.

"Be assured. I tell you with certainty. I went to the future and I returned and saw that everything goes well and that the civic-military union guarantees peace and happiness to our people, "he concluded.

this is gonna end with him either getting shot behind a government building or being dragged through street behind a bus, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

The argument as I understand it is that the American establishment is interested in some form of direct intervention in Venezuela and centrist news organizations in the US like NPR are normalizing this position even among far right politicians they usually pretend to be skeptical of.

I don’t know who the guy who made that tweet is.

i don't think many people want there to be some big invasion outside the bolton types. i think most experts think the maduro problem will solve in house,as along as enough powers say "he is illegitimate". unless maduro suddenly starts trying to invade other countries(which he won't/can't) i don't think there will be trouble. also most people don't even know Venezuela is a thing.

he is gonna be dead in week.

lol this stupid tankie gently caress wrote a book called "The Plot to Scapegoat Russia", i think his opinions can safely be ignored.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Given the US’ track record in Latin America and that we are led by Trump and supporting the new fascist government in Brazil, I’m inclined to not co-sign what the Trump Administration is doing here. Not when the main architects of Trump’s foreign policy are Bolton and Miller.

honestly. probably nothing. the Venezuelan people are out protesting in force and Maduro is a dead man walking at this point and now its just a matter of time until military says gently caress it and backs the other guy and shoots maduro in the head and or he gets dragged behind one of his buses or he flees to some other country. trump doesn't give a gently caress about Venezuela outside being a talking point.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 23, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/STHGibbs...169349851111427 Well, seems like maduro isn’t happy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chuck Boone posted:

Regime's kicking it up a notch:

https://twitter.com/netblocks/status/1089635288614359041

Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Facebook "inaccessible" during Guaido's address earlier tonight:

https://twitter.com/netblocks/status/1089705269716750336

EDIT: Ha! Love the title. Thank you.

so is maduro gonna try to crush dissent now? because if he is blocking online communication/telecoms that seems pretty bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Private Witt posted:

Far cry from capitulation, but it is something at least:

https://twitter.com/ReutersVzla/status/1099380352395681793

shooting your own people tends to start that. if they keep it up parts of the military might defect too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RaffyTaffy posted:

Extends "I have decided to break all political and diplomatic relations with the fascist government of Colombia and all its ambassadors and consuls must leave in 24 hours of Venezuela," said Maduro, before a massive demonstration in Caracas

https://twitter.com/AFPespanol/status/1099387278688960512

hasn't he done that before, like a couple years ago?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thatfatkid posted:

Kindly point out where I've approved of or advocated for murder. No need for blatant lies.

thatfatkid posted:

Did I say that?

The crying about the deaths of "peaceful protesters" by many in this thread seems somewhat disingenuous when the people injured/killed were neither peaceful or protesters, but instead attacking state assets in the middle of an active coup attempt.

you literally just used Blue lives matter lines to defend APCs running down protesters and people being gunned down.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you'd cheer them on?

this. if there was some massive protest and they went onto a US base. you would cheer them on, but the second people rise up against maduro, they are all evil nazis who need to be killed in the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

my simple view is Maduro is a horrible corrupt person who should be either peacefully transferred out of power or torn out by the will of the Venezuelan people But also American imperialism is wrong and horrible and we shouldnt invade or burn the country down because "freedom" or trump needs a war and not have dickhead who helped the loving Contras run the policy initiative because it will end badly for everyone at best.