Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Does anyone ever call Maduro out on his poo poo when he makes these 'the US are planning to invade/my assassination/contaminate our precious bodily fluids' statements, and if not, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Borneo Jimmy is consistently trolling the thread and the thread is consistently falling for it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Azran posted:

I love how Maduro comes across as totally deranged whenever he speaks in public.

I've often wondered, when reading the English translations provided by goons, whether Maduros speeches sound as rambling and word salady in Spanish. Because that poo poo seems to be all over the place.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Does Maduro have any of Chavez' charisma or common touch at all?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Who/what the gently caress is that?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

What is Venezuelas current situation in international money market? Can the government still borrow money or has that ship sailed?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Sorry, if this sounds dim. But what's to stop a Venezuelan expat from mailing a book with some dollars or euros stuffed inside? Seems a lot easier than loving around with bitcoins.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Richard Burgons nickname is 'The Farting Commie' fwiw

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I used to be on the Venezuela Solidarity mailing list for years (I was looking for that Irish doc about the 2002 coup attempt, and they sent me a free copy and a shitload of pamphlets and stuff), but can't recall the last time I got a mail from them.

There was a hysterical update they sent once about a freebie trip where they were being shown around by their PSUV handlers. It was usefulidiots.txt

A quick Google shows they seemed to have gotten a lot quieter after Chavez croaked. They were/are funded by Unite which is the biggest trade union here in the UK.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 23, 2016

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

How do Venezuelans know which store will be getting stock deliveries? Or is it the Soviet method of queuing and buying whatever's there?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Would one of the Venezuelans kindly expand a little on Lorenzo Mendosa? He gets mentioned a lot and Maduro seems to really, really hate him.

I know he's the head of Polar, so can understand why he, and his family's firm, are being mentioned during this time of shortages.

But does he get involved in politics directly? Making speeches, giving interviews etc.

I don't get why he in particular gets so much attention from Maduro and the PSUV.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Thank you for the replies earlier re: Mendoza.

Another question that I've been wondering about. What does the average Venezuelans diet look like these days? Are there fresh fruits and vegetables? Did you run out of beer yet?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

poty posted:

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but many here would be happy to help if you run into money issues and can figure out a way we can fund you from the outside. I know I would

Yes, 100%.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I know this has been discussed before, but is there a reliable way of sending a care parcel to a Venezuelan goon and not have it be stolen by the customs people?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

El Hefe posted:

Yeah, there are a few reliable door to door companies and also DHL but all the options are expensive.

Jesus, you aren't wrong. I don't believe I've ever used DHL before (I'm in the UK and use Royal Mail for everything), but the quotes on their site are steep. Almost £60 for a 3kg parcel and £80 for 7kg (the next price band).

If we were to do this as a goon project then it'd make more sense for me to PayPal money to one of the Americans here.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/02/investing/venezuela-debt-running-out-of-cash/

How much longer can the Bank of Venezuela continue to meet it's bond payments? Does this get discussed much domestically?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Saladman posted:

except for complete propaganda outlets like the Venezuela Solidarity Campaign.

For some reason I was/am on their mailing list. They are the same small group of Trotskyite loons who were cronies of the former mayor of London Ken 'Hitler was a Zionist' Livingstone.

These people will support Maduro even when he starts to eat babies on live TV.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I'm guessing because it'd probably be stolen and sold on the black market by the same group of arseholes currently running the country into the ground.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

The second I clicked on that 2012 link and saw the name 'Richard Gott' I knew what to expect.

He's a demented old tankie.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Christ, when are these pricks going to run out of tear gas?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Hugoon Chavez posted:

As a Venegoon it sure fills my heart seeing armchair activists use my people's suffering as coinage to argue about their political ideology from the comfort of their home!

Everything is always about the USA at all times, even when it isn't. Also Latinos have no agency.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Why the gently caress were senior politicians on a tv tarot show? Is that a big thing in Venezuela?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Is it really that difficult for people to realise that the cause of Venezuela's many, many, many problems isn't due to any left/right ideological pissing match but rather due to the fact its run by corrupt shitbags who have literal billions in Swiss bank accounts?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Saladman posted:

I hope you're not still in this thread by the time I skip 100 posts to get to the mots recent one, but I'd just like to say: you're a real scumbag. If what you say is true, and you've been in Venezuela for Vice, I've (a) lost a lot of respect for Vice, which I'm generally a huge fan of, and (b) you're a fuckwit for trying to fit everything into your paradigm of "anyone who claims they are leftist = good; anyone who is against someone who claimed to leftist first = right wing = bad". Just because you talked to some people attacking police doesn't mean they represent the entire opposition. loving 80% of the country is against Maduro. How the poo poo is Maduro a leftist? He's a kleptocrat to end all kleptocrats. He makes most of the Arab dictators look like good people.

Also what the gently caress, saying "you'll be eating out of trash" to a Venezuelan dude posting in the thread? I literally don't even know what that means. Is that some turn of phrase I'm not familiar with?

Edit: God dammit, I skipped 100 posts and it's still you.

He's not a Vice reporter, he's a common variety D+D shitposter.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Scent of Worf posted:

. Many people ITT seem eager for the CIA and the white right wing opposition to strip them of that power.

The power to eat one meal a day?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Until Venezuela is a literal smoking wasteland, with enclaves controlled by warring bands of religious lunatics comparing it to Syria is a very, very silly thing to do.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Bob le Moche posted:

! I don't blame Venezuelans for surrendering to imperialism

lol

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Ofaloaf posted:

I just wanted to read about what's happening in Venezuela and listen to Venegoons give Venezuelan takes on the subject. That's all I wanted. :(

Let me tell you what's really happening in South America....

takes long hit on disgustingly elaborate vaping device

exhales

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Keep posting about Syria dude, it's totally adding to the discussion.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Bob le Moche posted:

I offered to set up a crowdfunding website for this earlier in this thread but nobody was on board

Pay for your own holiday you loving cheapskate.

Seriously, in this fantasy of yours, what where you expecting to do/accomplish?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Bob le Moche posted:

I agree it's not evidence of anything, but that wasn't my point.

That was exactly your point. Your point was 'The Venezuelan Opposition are riddled with fascists. Here, to prove my point, is my evidence which will prove my point'.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 31, 2017

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Bob le Moche posted:

There are understandable reasons why outside observers might be led to conclude that there are far-right elements within the Venezuelan opposition. The fact that this is constantly denied also doesn't help, because one would expect a left-wing opposition to call these elements out and distance themselves from then.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Whatever happened to the National Communal Parliament that Maduro was gabbing about after the 2015 election?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

JailTrump posted:

Jesús Christ What was the point of releasing him then?

I think we are far too eager to assign Machiavellian powers to the actors in this particular drama. Real life isn't an episode of game of thrones. Everything that I've seen and read about the PSUV leads me to the inescapable conclusion that they are winging this poo poo day to day.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Chuck Boone posted:

The fact that they've both just been apparently re-sent to prison for no reason tells me that whatever soft-line faction inside the PSUV got them released lost an argument to the hard-line faction.

Do we know much about the different factions in the PSUV? Do they take their disputes public? Apart from the Attorney General lady they seem to have put up a remarkably united front so far.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

e: nvm, theres enough shitposting in the thread already

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Bob le Moche posted:

It's relevant to getting an understanding of the situation if it's what people believe and what motivates their actions. It's relevant if this is the picture of Lopez that people who support his arrest have, no matter if they've been fed it by propaganda, or it's not proper legal justification, or whatever, because it *is* a factor in understanding what is going on! (beyond "PSUV is just craaazy") By systematically leaving out of your reporting any allusion to any narrative out there that makes the opposition look bad, and reacting super defensively when someone asks you why you did so, you run the risk of being the one who comes off as a propaganda mouthpiece to anyone who doesn't already agree with you. People who've been reading this thread were confused about why they were hearing about someone being set on fire, and other things that were never mentioned in pro-opposition outlets or acts of violence by the opposition. They genuinely believed it was made up of whole cloth by crazy people because they trusted you to have told them about it otherwise.
When you paint a heroic picture of this Lopez guy, and people later find out about his role in the 2002 coup or whatever, it should be expected that they wonder why you omitted that detail, feel like you've been manipulative with them, and lose trust in your reporting.

Paragraphs are a CIA plot.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I have no idea why the recent influx of Highly Informed Commentators are sperging out so much about the Venezuelan opposition.

After lurking these threads for years, the one overwhelming impression I've got is that the MUD are a pack of clueless, barely competent time-wasters. Go back 30 or 40 pages and you'll see the Venezuelans in this thread (the only people who matter frankly) consistently bitch about the ability of these numbnuts to shoot themselves in the foot.

But now we're told, at punishing length, that these clowns are in fact Freikorps 2.0.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Scent of Worf posted:

If the people of Venezuela rise up and remove the PSUV from power then I'm all for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venezuelan_parliamentary_election,_2015#Conduct
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venezuelan_referendum,_2017

Yeah, that worked out well didn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Be gentle now. Mr Worf has come a long way in his few days on the job. Just yesterday, for example, he didn't know the name of one of the most visible Venezuelan politicians, and today he's already mastered recent Venezuelan history!