Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StudlyCaps
Oct 4, 2012
Hey all, need some advice, but didn't see a good thread to ask in.

I'm currently at a crap, boring job but I've been offered a cool, better job. Only issue is, the good job won't commit to a start date until they get a new grant in September and my current job has got wind of how unhappy I am and want to keep me around. I have a few meetings next week to try and address my issues but I doubt anything they can offer would change my mind re: leaving.

My question, should I tell current work that I have a new offer and they can lay a real competing offer on the table rather than wasting time in talking about how they'll revise my position in a year, or, should I not tell current work until I have a start date at the new place and I can give them official notice. Obviously I'm nervous letting the cat out of the bag before I know for sure this new place will come through.

I'm in Australia and my current employer is based in the UK if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Until the new offer is solid, in writing, with their signature on, keep your drat mouth shut. There's a million good reasons the new job could fall through, and guess who's first in line to be fired and last in line to get the new exciting projects?

Anything else is a gamble. Your current company could realize that you're unhappy in your current position, and try to do a better job at retaining you, or they could cut their losses, now, or soon.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

bolind posted:

Until the new offer is solid, in writing, with their signature on, keep your drat mouth shut. There's a million good reasons the new job could fall through, and guess who's first in line to be fired and last in line to get the new exciting projects?

Anything else is a gamble. Your current company could realize that you're unhappy in your current position, and try to do a better job at retaining you, or they could cut their losses, now, or soon.

This.

You've got a good potential opportunity, but until you've got an offer in writing with a start date, you don't have another job. You might as well be telling your boss that his wife smells like a dump and his toupee isn't fooling anyone, he can't fire you, you quit!

At most I'd be strident about what is wrong, why it creates a bad work environment for you, and what would be material corrections to improving things in a clinical, impersonal, professional manner. This might result in things being slightly less crappy until you can jump ship.

StudlyCaps
Oct 4, 2012
Cheers guys, that's what I was leaning towards. When it comes down to it, I guess there's no upside to blabbing and I'd look pretty drat stupid if I'm still there 3 months from now.

It's just annoying pretending to care about meetings where they assure me that if I keep up the good work I could be promoted in only 2 years! :downs:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So your cool good job is dependent upon grants that renew annually? I would have already quit!

StudlyCaps
Oct 4, 2012
Problem is, until those grants come through I don't have a cool, good job.

Also I think the grants are set for 6 years, but the budgets are set annually.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
What's the funding body they've applied for? It sounds like you work in medical research of some kind. I will tell you what I know about the Australian funding system: they only fund 15% of projects. Unsure about how the UK system is but NHMRC reject 85% of all projects and even then they sometimes give you a cut budget.

My advice: keep your mouth shut because your new cool job might not actually happen. Another possibility is the paperwork hasn't been signed yet to completion so they're working on that first (but they have the money). Either way, keep your mouth shut.

Also if you are in science, can you tell me what your job is? I need to find one because my works funding is running out :(

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StudlyCaps
Oct 4, 2012
Sorry mate, CRC for advanced manufacturing, I'm in software dev.

Afaik they match investment with private companies as long as they partner with a uni, their project has roi potential and we create new research. They seem pretty confident that it's more a case of when than if, but who knows.

My main concern is that the original start date was supposed to be end of 2013 but good old Tony took over and they got held up till now. Since the final say in what funding we get and when is still government there's nothing stopping something similar happening again .

• Locked thread