Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Gun nuts like to scoff when people say "high-capacity magazines give you an unprecedented amount of firepower!" But I don't scoff because well, they do give you a lot of firepower, in your hand. And nutso spree shooters choose Glock for the same reason everybody else chooses it; you don't really have to aim. You don't! You've got a light trigger pull that is the same for every shot, and three times the capacity of a revolver. Just wave that bitch all over the place and yank on the trigger; it's better and easier to use than older designs. Remember, weapons are designed for people without a lot of training to use. And so by making a very simple and easy-to-use pistol, Gaston Glock solved "gun" like Sam Colt did, with a revolution in manufacturing.

Oddly though this hasn't led to everyone just being satisfied with the Glock. There's no reason to dislike it or prefer another pistol, other than being caught in the prison of ego. You want to be different, huh. "The Glock is a fine service pistol" you grunt with your arms folded at the range. "But I prefer the grip angle on the me ma mo ma murr muhhh target acquisition." Thinking you can get just as much performance out of another pistol, one with character, one that represents your personality. That's only pride, my friend.

Anyway, the Glock is just a sidearm. It's perfectly representative of its predecessors throughout the ages.

It's a tool for killing. You can call it a tool for self-defense if you want to; it's a tool for prevailing in conflicts by sudden and overwhelming escalation of force. It's not intended for duels in a dusty street with a guitar twanging. It's not intended to, and it cannot, subtract the danger from a situation where some crazy dude is already shooting at you. If you shoot your way out of something like that you must have a leprechaun in your pocket.

What a sidearm really is for, is defending yourself against a bunch of rowdy unarmed gentlemen. You can see how a flintlock would be useful enough in those circumstances, yet wanting improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Music to listen to while practicing disassembling, cleaning out, and reassembling your M-16 rifle 30 times straight.

I like taking my 30 year old AR-15 to the range because script kiddie Iraq war vets with tactical playtime follies optics on their war binkies get jealous af

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Does it require as much incessant cleaning as the Vietnam surplus M16s I've had the dubious pleasure of using? Hated the damned things.

Nah I just squirt some CLP at the bolt when it gets really filthy and keep going. I probably don't even need to do that

Who What Now posted:

Feel free to also post the most adorable guns you can find.

The Baby Browning :3:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Venom Snake posted:

yeah, which is why I don't get why people so breathlessly defend hand guns. Like the only reason hang guns exist is to kill other people, they have no actual societal benefit outside of being used by public defenders such as trained police officers (not all police officers mind you) and soldiers.

Those are weird societal benefits to be claiming. I mean even target shooting is more of a societal benefit than police or the military. Police only use handguns to defend themselves (no benefit to society) or enforce unjust laws (no benefit to society). The military basically uses handguns as a badge of rank and to carry out torture (like Allen West) and executions.

Effectronica posted:

This thread would not have happened if I had had a gun.

Well this post wouldn't have happened, anyway.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

Let's not worry about "gun crime" specifically and instead just look at murder rates. Ok, the US has a murder rate 3-48 times that of anywhere else in the industrialized world, and the upper end of that range is our next door neighbor. Seems odd.

People love American culture, but then they complain about the contest of terror that creates it. They only complain at certain times though, like when a black man shoots two white people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

This is actually a really interesting point. I always saw long guns as the biggest concern and had never considered that. You'd be hosed in open-carry states, I guess, but still. Little Mister Militia can still have his fantasy of holding off the US government's tanks and drones with his AR-15.

Give it a try, America. See what happens if you just ban small guns.

It was already tried multiple times, but what do I know I'm just a guy who pays attention

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

Actually I seem to recall myself and others complaining about American gun culture long previous to its most recent public manifestation of insanity. Aside from laughing this off as disingenuous whining, which I would prefer not to do, how do we resolve this apparent paradox except by reference to some kind of Time Engine?

No, you complain in fits and starts, motivated by the sight of whites dying.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

http://kxan.com/2015/01/14/texas-gun-owners-re-enact-charlie-hebdo-massacre/

PLANO, Texas (CNN/KTVT) — Some Texas gun owners decided to stage a re-enactment of the Charlie Hebdo office massacre. They wanted to see what might have happened if the victims had their own guns. Two actors playing gunmen enter quietly. They’re on a set designed to look like the offices of Charlie Hebdo in Paris. But unlike the terrorist attack that killed 12 people, in this exercise, volunteers are taking turns in the role of an armed civilian inside.

“He started shooting, and I started shooting,” said gun owner Linda Cruz.

Time and time again, that armed civilian dies — shot by a round that marks him or her with paint. In only two cases, they were able to take out one of two gunmen in the process.

“It’s interesting to see how people react under stress,” said gun owner Nick Leghorn. “It’s not what you’d expect people do.”

A group called The Truth About Guns organized the simulation, hoping to learn how things might have been different in Paris — or any other mass shooting.

“It’s the one people are Monday-morning-quarterbacking at the moment,” said Leghorn.

Parks Matthew is a father of four and was curious to see what instinct would kick in.

“If I’m in a movie theater and someone pulls a gun, what am I going to do?” he said. “I know now I’m not going to just fall on my kids and protect them; I need to advance on the threat.”

He walked away armed with a little more information.

“Still got killed, but did better than I thought I would,” said Matthew.

In the end, only one of the 12 volunteer victims in the exercise survived. And it was because she ran away. No one was able to take out both mock shooters.

That's Foghorn, a TFR goon. Can he be trusted?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

I'm going to explain this in the most remedial terms so you fucks can understand it:

Guns exist purely for the purpose of killing other people and make deadly violence as easy as pulling a trigger. It is different than other methods of homicide because it is far, far, far easier to exact significant deadly violence with a minimum of effort.

Yes, they are the epitome of personal weapons at this time in history. They're excellent in their purpose.

quote:

It is okay to legislate to make murder as difficult as possible--especially in regards to items that exist only for the purpose of killing.

Goddrat.

Counterpoint (with equal substance to it): it's not OK.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Or, you know, go the way of all gun freaks.

Achieve policy success?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

I was thinking "develop a full-blown sexual paraphilia", but that'$ a workable analog¥.

Sex is actually a death paraphilia. Turns out loving is just a repressed urge to stab people with a spear.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Doccers posted:

http://pse-archery.com/shop/shop-crossbows/tac-ordnance/

These guys make a crossbow upper for an AR-15 lower receiver and fire control group.

I don't even know what the gently caress.

I wonder what somebody who doesn't know about guns would think about it. "it's a crossbow...PLUS an assault rifle. Game of Thrones times a thousand."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
TAC ARROWS

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Planning for emergencies like a paranoid white prepper :smugdog:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Raven, that's all very nice, and I am sure you believe you're doing what you need to in order to keep your family safe. But we are not you, and all the evidence we have available says that the single largest threat to the health and well-being of your family... is you.

So you may believe you have a good reason to own a gun. But statistically, even if we hold the exact same values you do, we have an even stronger reason to not let you have one, especially in light of the living situation you just described. (if you were actually involved with drug dealers, gangsters or criminals, you'd actually have a stronger case)

So, on one side we have your claim you would only use it as a last resort and that it would help protect your family. On the other side we have the evidence that people like you in your situation have, traditionally, been significantly more likely to be a threat to your family than the violent home invade you're worried about.

Can you at least see where I am coming from, in light of the evidence, if I believe you should not have a weapon?

(Also, please say you keep the guns locked up and unloaded)

All those stats are thrown off by Trash. If you're not Trash, you owning guns doesn't make you a danger to your family. I got the strong impression from raven's post that he is a decent parent, not prone to violence etc. When people act like a gun owner like that is putting their kids in danger it strikes me as self-conscious bullshit.

Bottom line, do not begrudge black people gun ownership when they are trying to have a decent life and family. You are not dealing with the threats they deal with, period. They do not need to put themselves at the mercy of whites for the benefit of your utopian vision.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

Actual black people and black organizations tend to largely support stronger gun control than the average. Why do you think this is?

They're dopes like most Americans.

Tezzor posted:

The stats are thrown off by Trash, who are a distinctly different and non-consubstantial group from the Average Gun Owner, and who do all the bad things. By the way, I am opposed to any mechanism which prevents the Trash, who are not like the good ones and do all the bad things, from owning as many of whatever firearm they desire.

Correct, let life transpire in all its majesty and danger.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

I have my own theories as to why, I'm asking for a theory from you as to this discrepancy. SedanChair seems to believe it is because they are stupid. Do you agree?

That's pretty aggressively disingenuous there.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

raven4267 posted:

Since I told you my theory, would you mind telling me yours?

You can get a hint of Tezzor's worldview by his use of the phrase "actual black people." To Tezzor, only Carlton-rear end sellout blacks would own a gun. Real blacks are closer to the earth, and have a rude wisdom that lets them cut to the heart of the matter, and offer sage counsel to the white protagonist.

Tezzor believes more black people support gun control because he subscribes to Magical Negro theory.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Paint it chrome and black and it'll fool most cops.

Put it in the hands of a black child and it'll fool cops now.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are there actual gun arguments happening anywhere in the USA, or just pantomimes of one like this thread?

9mm vs. .45 ACP

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Stretch Marx posted:

Ok now, to demonstrate that these are not a threat, shoot yourself with one and get back to us with the results.

You busybodies are so violent. It's probably why you think guns need to be controlled, because you would commit violence with them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you're probably also not doing the shootout at high noon either tho

your life but I defo wouldn't want a gun with one in the chamber riding right next to my junk all day and I'd feel real loving stupid explaining the highly specific hypothetical scenario that lead to my having to piss through a tube

Yeah I don't fancy it. I don't even like to chamber a round if I am somewhere where an ND would be troublesome (i.e. my apartment). Another reason I am fond of revolvers (not that there is anything wrong with autos, please leave me alone auto fanboys).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

various cheeses posted:

A man walks up and grabs your left arm.

Your gun is now a paperweight. It's not some fantastical james bond scenario.

You know how to use the sights to chamber a round one handed right

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

nice, a DA/SA that you cannot safely put in DA mode

counter-counterpoint:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

various cheeses posted:

That lever is a decocker and does exactly what you describe :colbert:

loving wily Czechs, always staying one step ahead of me.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

various cheeses posted:

If a mugger is that close to you, you're likely in some real trouble anyways. A high profile example would be the George Zimmerman shooting: the zim zam was able to get a shot off while getting the poo poo beat out of him on the ground. Regardless of the crap surround that entire event, you're not going to be coming out on top with an unloaded gun in a scenario like that.

For the record I hope none of you dumbasses ever do get your houses broken into, because smugly quoting statistics and glib bullshit will get you real far I'm sure.

plus his kel-tec jammed

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

I wish there was a full-auto rifle that fired .22lr with a huge drum magazine so I could get rid of the eight billion rounds my dad gave me because he bought them all for a nickel. I need to get rid of these loving things, but there's just no end to them.

:negative: You son of a bitch.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rodatose posted:

Is it possible to make a scultpure out of bullets that you shoot into bullets?

like you start with 1 bullet as the base, then shoot that, and the bullets collide into each other and are lodged. Step two, you shoot the doubullet with a third bullet. After that, you shoot it a fourth time, and keep doing it changing your firing position to make a scultpure-like bullet amalgamation?

Yeah, just get the first bullet stuck in the barrel:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

various cheeses posted:

That picture was .300 blackout fired through a 5.56 silencer, FYI.

And the other one was probably a squib load, or insufficient powder in the cartridge, which meant the first bullet didn't get out of the barrel and the rest got stuck behind it. The barrel didn't burst because it's a revolver, so excess gas could vent from the cylinder gap.

You're like "oh my I'm simply awash in .22lr that I don't even want." Meanwhile the rest of us are camped out at Cabela's trying to buy one box of it. t:mad: (kidding)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Well I'd say I'd be happy to give some away, but my .22 is probably my favorite gun I own because it's great for when I just want to plink away at some cans or a target and don't want to need to wear ear protection or feel like I'm just pissing money down the drain. I'd actually like to buy another .22 just so I have something else to shoot it with (preferably a pistol, I know they make them), but I cant justify spending money on a gun after buying a house.

You should probably wear ear protection when shooting standard velocity .22lr without a suppressor.

e: hearing protection can be fun! Get electronic ones because they give you super hearing.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Impact-Electric-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm anti-knowing about your straightjacket fetish.

LeJackal posted:

I'm working as hard as I can at it. Give me time. (Also money.)

Buy Lorcins.

• Locked thread