Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

various cheeses posted:

I want to try a pistol caliber full auto, but the only "work gun" available was 5.56. I would love to go full Rambo with a M60 too.

Why though.
Anything under .45 is gonna feel like a wet fart compared to 5.56 and above.
Probably cycle a lot faster too but eh.

Unless you want to score a tight grouping with full auto (which is kinda against the point and purpose of full auto but I digress).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Rodatose posted:

hammers rule. drove a loving nail into a board and smashed tf out of some butternut squashes

Dude, you should totally put a (drained first) coconut in a paper back and pound the poo poo out of it. So very much like a youth's skull!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

So you are a misanthrope.

No, I'm against guns

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

I want to try a pistol caliber full auto, but the only "work gun" available was 5.56. I would love to go full Rambo with a M60 too.

I wish there was a full-auto rifle that fired .22lr with a huge drum magazine so I could get rid of the eight billion rounds my dad gave me because he bought them all for a nickel. I need to get rid of these loving things, but there's just no end to them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fog Tripper posted:

It makes me the solution to the problem.

BOyah.

If the problem is that you have far too much blood in your body and far too little lead, then yeah, it's a fantastic solution.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Why though.
Anything under .45 is gonna feel like a wet fart compared to 5.56 and above.

Unless you want to score a tight grouping with full auto (which is kinda against the point and purpose of full auto but I digress).

Actually yeah, just to see how it goes. I'd really like to try a legit P90. I have a chopped down PS90, and it's pretty cool, but I'd like to see how the real deal shoots.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Elman posted:

No, I'm against guns

I, too, am 'against' inanimate objects :confused:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
The only full auto I want to shoot is a minigun.

I just want to see the target disintegrate and only hear a nice hum.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

I wish there was a full-auto rifle that fired .22lr with a huge drum magazine so I could get rid of the eight billion rounds my dad gave me because he bought them all for a nickel. I need to get rid of these loving things, but there's just no end to them.

I wish .22LR could feed out of a hopper somehow, because that would be hilarious. Also if you're really looking to get rid of it, wait until the election next year and sell it when everyone starts panic buying.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fog Tripper posted:

The only full auto I want to shoot is a minigun.

I just want to see the target disintegrate and only hear a nice hum.

That hum is called tinnitus.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Play posted:

I really don't think he was implying the shooter was blameless at all, or that the gun just magically shot itself. Obviously he pulled the trigger. It's just a way of saying that it wasn't purposeful, it was an accidental shot by a drunken idiot driving around in a truck. The fact that you glom onto this small and to be honest completely insignificant detail from the entirety of that post involving one person's experience with guns is pretty telling.
I'm not the smartest man in the world but I'm fairly certain that a drunken idiot negligently discharging into a buddy is not an "insignificant detail" in a story about an idiot drunkenly negligently discharging into a buddy.

And there are no such things as accidental firings. There are only intentional, negligence and mechanical failure.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BarkingSquirrel posted:

And there are no such things as accidental firings. There are only intentional, negligence and mechanical failure.

Yeah this is just Semantics.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

Post of the year (ALL YEARS)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Hey man, if you can't handle your juice that's your problem. There's plenty of us responsible smackheads out there who... *nods off* ...and that's why I voted for Ron Paul.

Heh yeah pretty much. There are just some things that are all negative and no positive. Nobody is prepared to resist the sway of opiates; it is pretty much impossible to use them "responsibly." As bad as guns are, there are definitely plenty of legitimate uses for them. But not enough legitimate uses as there are guns in this country. Not by several orders of magnitude. I doubt we even have any idea how many guns are IN this country.

quote:

That said lol if you think access to drugs could get any easier. It's harder to by cigarettes than heroin in most of the country.

It's quite accessible in many ways because Americans by nature are lawbreakers (something that is easy to notice when traveling in almost every other country: much more general respect for the rule of law), but its also very expensive. It's worth quite a bit more than its weight in GOLD, which wouldn't be true if it was legalized.

For the record, I definitely don't think owning a gun should be a crime like owning hard drugs is. But I think we need to create a significant barrier such that the disturbed, people with developmental and mental health problems, and former criminal have more trouble getting them than they do. Which is essentially no trouble at all. THAT'S the problem. And I think this discussion would be a lot more productive if people focused on this middle ground where we actually might find some ideas in common than the endless back and forth of GUNS R BAD NOOOOO and NO GUNS R GUD I <3 GUNS

In an unrelated matter, it's funny how Trump is ginning up this anti-Mexico thing, when in fact its quite the other way around. America is a HORRIBLE influence on Mexico. Our enormous need for drugs and enormous amount of money we are prepared to spend on them finances the operations of some of the worst people on the planet who routinely murder and execute dozens or hundreds of people at a time inside Mexico. They can do this because of the money we pay them, and ALSO because of the guns that so easily flow across the border in that direction. If I was a Mexican I would be absolutely furious at the hypocrisy.

Play fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 30, 2015

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
i pronounce "gun" with a soft g.

jun

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Play posted:

In an unrelated matter, it's funny how Trump is ginning up this anti-Mexico thing, when in fact its quite the other way around. America is a HORRIBLE influence on Mexico. Our enormous need for drugs and enormous amount of money we are prepared to spend on them finances the operations of some of the worst people on the planet who routinely murder and execute dozens or hundreds of people at a time inside Mexico. They can do this because of the money we pay them, and ALSO because of the guns that so easily flow across the border in that direction. If I was a Mexican I would be absolutely furious at the hypocrisy.

in order to understand why americans love guns you must first understand that white americans are terrified of less-white people, as degree of darkness indicates degree of criminality

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mr.Bob posted:

One of my best friends shot himself in the head while arguing with his wife in the driveway of their house, supposedly to prove some point to her. A close friend of his had just died and he was in a a bad way. He had been doing well for himself as far as I can tell but you never know what is under the surface. I am sad he is gone, but guns are still rad.

Edit: he was an organ donor so he still lives on and has saved the lives of several others in his death.

I think guns are pretty rad but I also think people who buy guns because they imagine themselves as the hero in a shootout, along with a great number of other people who buy guns, would be a lot better off (and the rest of us would also be better off) if they did not have any guns and instead maybe just limited themselves to firing loaned range weapons.

Basically, I am okay with guns, but I would much prefer people like various cheeses did not have access to them.

Powercrazy posted:

I am "against" both a "rock" and a "hard place". This is not really relevant to this thread, but that's probably a step up for the dialogue really.

Rodatose posted:

i pronounce "gun" with a soft g.

jun
We should all pronounce guns like the popular internet image format, I agree.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Basically, I am okay with guns, but I would much prefer people like various cheeses did not have access to them.

Lol if you can stop shuddering while you type, please explain why.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Popular Thug Drink posted:

in order to understand why americans love guns you must first understand that white americans are terrified of less-white people, as degree of darkness indicates degree of criminality

Statistically isn't this correct tho

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

im so glad my guns make you angry dnd

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Blue Raider posted:

Much like your father D&D isn't angry with you, just very disappointed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GlyphGryph posted:

Yup I share this stance.
I shot skeet at an olympic range with some wonderful match grade shotguns (I think they might have been Perazzis I dont remember), it was a fun time shared between friends, came out with lovely hearing in my left ear for the next 12 hours.

But gently caress the faintest idea of pointing it at a person and knowingly pulling the trigger.
People, regular sidewalk using, dog walking people, talking about 'Keeping one chambered, just in case' is just such a bad loving idea that I cant help but just laugh at it and them. It says so much about a person and it without a doubt colors their perception of everyone around them.

Also handguns* are poo poo and not rad.
That arent long-barrel revolvers.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 30, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

various cheeses posted:

Lol if you can stop shuddering while you type, please explain why.
Risk numbers and historical evidence, mostly, with a little bit of unjustified bias against people with all lowercase usernames.

The same reason the military largely does not want most of it's servicemen carrying weapons.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 30, 2015

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
If the idea of actually using your gun on another person, even in a justified situation, excites rather than horrifies you, you are the worst person to be carrying around a weapon. And I would say this trait applies to a large amount of gun owners, especially the ones that are the most militant in defending their obsession/hobby.

I'm confused right now because right wing folk are crowing about the recent shooter that he "passed a background check" as if that's somehow a point in THEIR favor. When in reality all it points towards is our backgrounds check system and gun purchase verification/gun tracking systems being absolute poo poo and lives being lost because of it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blue Raider posted:

not really, the only heads gun nuts make explode are their own

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Risk numbers and historical evidence, mostly, with a little bit of unjustified bias against people with all lowercase usernames.

The same reason the military largely does not want most of it's servicemen carrying weapons.

Hahaha I mean I can forgive the lowercase username jab, but what the hell are you talking about?

I don't want to shoot anyone if there is any way to deescalate the situation, but if some rear end in a top hat jumps me and starts trying to pound my head in, I'm going to blast his dumb rear end. Carrying with a round in the chamber is considered standard operating procedure for concealed carry and I can't believe you're wringing your hands over it. It's what they taught in the class.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's always fun when gun advocates of all people accuse others of being motivated by emotion, in between describing their night terrors of home invaders and writing their insurrection threats with gritted teeth and a boner

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

:negative: You son of a bitch.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Is it possible to make a scultpure out of bullets that you shoot into bullets?

like you start with 1 bullet as the base, then shoot that, and the bullets collide into each other and are lodged. Step two, you shoot the doubullet with a third bullet. After that, you shoot it a fourth time, and keep doing it changing your firing position to make a scultpure-like bullet amalgamation?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rodatose posted:

Is it possible to make a scultpure out of bullets that you shoot into bullets?

like you start with 1 bullet as the base, then shoot that, and the bullets collide into each other and are lodged. Step two, you shoot the doubullet with a third bullet. After that, you shoot it a fourth time, and keep doing it changing your firing position to make a scultpure-like bullet amalgamation?

Yeah, just get the first bullet stuck in the barrel:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Please NWS that gore

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
then gun's can be used for art, too

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

SedanChair posted:

What about this:

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Who What Now posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAfPc6RPe-w&t=1m36s

Dunno about current availability, but hth.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Play posted:

The number of guns flowing into Mexico from the US really isn't that large, or at least not as large as the media blitz was making it out to be years back. The headline grabbing statistics about 90% of cartel guns recovered found to be from the US originated from the ATF (before Fast & Furious) and were only based on the subset of recovered guns the Mexican government had submitted to the ATF for tracking. Of course the Mexican government (intelligently) only submitted guns to the ATF for tracking that they already suspected might be from the US based on manufacturer, serial #, etc. and that subset ended up only including something like a fifth of the total guns they recovered. That's without even going into the issue that even out of the guns linked back to the US some may have been purchased legally from US manufacturers/vendors by the Mexican authorities before mysteriously falling off the back of a truck or whatever. Either way, in the end the US was only supplying the majority of a small fraction of the recovered cartel guns, with the vast bulk of the recovered guns coming from the Mexican authorities and the armories of various countries in South America.

Even at a low percent it's still something the US authorities need to deal with and something the Mexican government should be upset about - particularly given the ATF's behavior in Fast & Furious.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 30, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

various cheeses posted:

What about this:

I don't understand what happened in these pictures.

I see they are gun barrels cut open to see the bullets stacked on the inside, but I don't understand how it happened.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
BANG BANG bang THUMPF

"What was that?"

THUMPF

"Maybe if I shoot a few more times it'll fix itself"

THUMPF THUMPF THUMPF

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

tumblr.txt posted:

BANG BANG bang THUMPF

"What was that?"

THUMPF

"Maybe if I shoot a few more times it'll fix itself"

THUMPF THUMPF THUMPF

Sorry, I was too busy racking my slide, hoping the threat would dissipate.

When do we move on to sarin gas? Or did I miss that earlier on?

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
I think we're at the part where we talk about how many cars/doctors kill people, which will be countered by the claim cars/doctors are an essential part of modern life. A few fringe posters will disagree and propose banning or regulating cars/doctors. Someone will compare guns on private property to cars on private property.

The topic will then change to backyard swimming pools, which are both unnecessary and kill way more kids than guns do.

A new entrant will then bring up an already-settled claim from 10 pages back, using discredited data, and the dance will begin again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

I don't understand what happened in these pictures.

I see they are gun barrels cut open to see the bullets stacked on the inside, but I don't understand how it happened.

The first one looks like a miscalculation in caliber size, which resulted in the bullets getting stuck like that.

The second one is why you don't use open-jacketed ammunition in a suppressor.

• Locked thread