Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

tim cook's recent email to jim cramer scores at about the 12th-grade reading level, maybe 12th-and-a-semester.

satya nadella's first email to microsoft employees is written at an 8th-grade level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

well yeah anyone who spend 1100 words saying hi should be sent back a few grades

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
aids

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I read penguin classucs and also readers digest. Please use the cool proggy on a sunder post I bet it's worse

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Tim is out of touch with real americans

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Tim had to dumb it down because he's talking to analysts and the media.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
on the other hand stebe talked and wrote like a 4th grader.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

on the other hand stebe talked and wrote like a 4th grader.

here's his 'thoughts on flash' letter

jobs' resignation letter

Smythe posted:

I read penguin classucs and also readers digest. Please use the cool proggy on a sunder post I bet it's worse

a post of his on google i/o

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
when it comes to Serious Writing i like to keep it simple, but sometimes i wonder if that simplicity sounds like retardation

i don't really like incomplete sentences in body copy and punctuation. used for. emphasis.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

here's his 'thoughts on flash' letter

jobs' resignation letter

a post of his on google i/o

cool, and thanks.

i think copy editors prolly dictate reading lvl of big company ppls letters tho. or style guide ppl? do big companies have that? branding boss who goes thru all outgoing things?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oh yeah. if a company has their poo poo together there are robust style guides that include rules for visuals, audio, and text. whether email and letters from c-level execs get sent to branding depends on the company culture, though. it usually only happens for material that's explicitly meant for a retail/consumer audience.

the only one of the sampled emails and letters that i would suspect of being written with a reading level in mind would be satya's first email to employees. even then, it's probably more of a case of general CEO-speak than something engineered

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'm just using word for these, btw. you turn on 'readability statistics' in the proofing options, and then run the spell/grammar-check with f7

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

yeah, it's what communications departments are paid to do

ceo may or may not type something out, marcom looks over it, ceo may or may not then review and sign off on it. ceo then internalizes and regurgitates it constantly until the media story is reworked next quarter

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

sometimes i paste into hemingway before finalizing but it's actually kinda lovely and following it too much really makes everything bland and stupid

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Triglav posted:

sometimes i paste into hemingway before finalizing but it's actually kinda lovely and following it too much really makes everything bland and stupid

interesting

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Triglav posted:

variety in diction is fundafuckingmental if you want to keep people engaged.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

oh yeah. if a company has their poo poo together there are robust style guides that include rules for visuals, audio, and text. whether email and letters from c-level execs get sent to branding depends on the company culture, though. it usually only happens for material that's explicitly meant for a retail/consumer audience.

the only one of the sampled emails and letters that i would suspect of being written with a reading level in mind would be satya's first email to employees. even then, it's probably more of a case of general CEO-speak than something engineered

thank you for your insight into this coal topic

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

how i write more good. do i need to read, steal, and throw away what sucks or what

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Triglav posted:

how i write more good. do i need to read, steal, and throw away what sucks or what

read the newspaper every day

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Smythe posted:

ok rotor

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Only read the thread title

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Only read the thread title

:jackbud:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Triglav posted:

read stuff. mimic what you like. if you've written a long or complex paragraph, make the next paragraph short and assertive. a little bit of parallel construction. passive voice sometimes (it's not entirely verboten). strangle a hobo to viscerally understand life and death. use an occasional semicolon.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Triglav posted:

it stops recognising passive voice if u put 2 spaces between the words lol why

Smythe posted:

(most) newspapres are trash now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

(most) newspapres are trash now :(

You're meant to read then BEFORE throwing them away