Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

What is Survivor?

Survivor is a reality show where a group of 18 to 20 or so contestants, from all walks of life, are stuck on a remote paradise and forced to live together for 39 days; gathering their own food, building their own shelter, and purifying their own water. The cast is split into opposing, equal teams, called tribes. The tribes must work together to form a community, in the hopes of one contestant becoming the Sole Survivor and winning one million dollars. At least one contestant is voted off every episode.

A typical Survivor season has three phases. Pre-Merge, Post-Merge, and Endgame.

• Pre-Merge: Roughly the first half of the game. The tribes compete against each other twice each episode. First for a reward, and second for tribal immunity. Tribes that fail the immunity challenge will be forced to vote one of their own members out at the end of the episode.

• Post-Merge: The tribes are merged together. Players are now playing for individual immunity and all players will participate in voting out a player from the tribe.

• Endgame: Once 5-7 players or so remain, the show reaches the End game phase. Usually the very strong core alliances are shaken up here as people try to reach the end or placate the jury. The last nine players voted out before the final tribal council will join a Jury that will decide who will win of the final three (sometimes two) players.

Second Chance

quote:

On May 6, 2015, an announcement was made that for the first time in Survivor history, fans had the ability to vote for and assemble the cast for the next season. Through social media, fans voted for ten men and ten women from a pool of 32 former castaways, each of whom had played only once and didn't win their season. Voting ended one hour into the Survivor: Worlds Apart finale, where all of the nominees were present at the reunion with their luggage already prepared for filming. The final roster of 20 was revealed at the end of the show, and were flown to Cambodia immediately afterward.

Want to catch up?

Season 1, Borneo (Kelly Wiglesworth)
Season 2, The Australian Outback (Jeff Varner, Kimmi Kappenberg)
Season 7, Pearl Islands (Andrew Savage)
Season 12, Panama (Terry Deitz)
Season 15, China (Peih-Gee Law)
Season 18, Tocantins (Stephen Fishbach)
Season 19, Samoa (Monica Padilla)
Season 25, Philippines (Abi-Maria Gomes)
Season 27, Blood vs. Water (Ciera Eastin, Vytas Baskauskas)
Season 28, Cagayan (Kass McQuillen, Spencer Bledsoe, Tasha Fox, Woo Hwang)
Season 29, San Juan del Sur (Jeremy Collins, Keith Nale, Kelley Wentworth)
Season 30, Worlds Apart (Joe Anglim, Shirin Oskooi)

Supplemental Material

• Rob has a Podcast: Available on iTunes or their website. He does a few podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the player who was voted out that episode, and provides theories about strategy. This podcast provides insight into the game that was not aired on the show. It is heavily referenced in this thread.

Glossary of Terms

• Bitter Jury: A jury that is voting against a player rather than for a player. Sometimes there is a perception that a player who "deserves to win" isn't getting votes because they were an rear end in a top hat and viewers/players will be quick to say it was a bitter jury. A bitter jury does not excuse a player who didn't win at Final Tribal Council. The purpose of the jury is to not piss them off so they will be willing to vote for you to win.

• Blindside: When a tribal council seems to be set up so one or one of two possible players are getting eliminated, but somehow either a secret coalition or a surprising idol play makes it so someone else is voted out instead.

• "The Edit": Survivor is a show to entertain. It is produced and edited in a way to give players a streamlined personality and to create as much tension before Tribal Council as possible.

• Goat: A useless, awful, or crazy person that is not being voted out of the game specifically so a player can look like a more desirable final survivor to the jury compared to the goat.

• HII: Hidden Immunity Idol. They are hidden around the island. Clues will be given that could reveal their location. One-use item that a player can use after the votes are cast (but before they are read) at Tribal Council to nullify votes against that person. They can't be used at Final Four player or later.

• Mactor: Portmanteau of "Model/Actor". A player who doesn't know the game very well and are just using it to further their career.

• Pagonged: Going into post-merge, it's the act of voting out the former members of your opposing tribe before voting out the former members of your original tribe. It's the reason it's important to win tribal immunity pre-merge so that you outnumber the opposing tribe members in post-merge.

• Pony/Poison: After the new season's cast is announced, thread members will pick a "Pony" (someone they think is awesome and will win) and a "Poison" (someone they think will suck and/or be an annoying rear end in a top hat they hope will lose or just simply suffer)

• Purple Rocks: In the event of a tie at Tribal Council, there is a revote, with only the people receiving the most votes being eligible to receive votes during that revote. If the revote also ends in a tie, Survivors draw rocks. Whichever player draws the differently colored rock is eliminated from the game.

• Splitting the vote/Flushing the Idol: An alliance that splits its votes between two members to counter a potential idol play. If one of those two players plays a Hidden Immunity Idol, there will still be enough players voting for the other guy to vote them out. This strategy can be risky.

----

This Season's Cast

:hampants: Bayon Tribe :hampants:

Andrew Savage
Pearl Islands

Ciera Eastin
Blood vs. Water

Jeremy Collins
San Juan del Sur

Joe Anglim
World's Apart

Kass McQuillen
Cagayan

Keith Nale
San Juan del Sur

Kimmi Kappenberg
The Australian Outback

Monica Padilla
Samoa

Stephen Fishbach
Tocantins

Tasha Fox
Cagayan

:tubular: Ta Keo Tribe :tubular:

Abi-Maria Gomes
Philippines

Jeff Varner
The Australian Outback

Kelley Wentworth
San Juan del Sur

Kelly Wiglesworth
Borneo

Peih-Gee Law
China

Shirin Oskooi
World's Apart

Spencer Bledsoe
Cagayan

Terry Deitz
Panama

Vytas Baskauskas
Blood vs. Water

Woo Hwang
Cagayan

Zesty fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh god here we go again.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
yesssss i cant wait

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
WOO!

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
not sure who to root for. stephen or spencer mainly. there's a part of me that would love to see keith go on an immunity run against a bunch of young fit people though.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Bayon seems to have gotten the majority of players I'm more interested in.

I'll be avoiding most other online Survivor places, since I assume as a returning player season its been spoiled completely.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So what's going to happen to survivor know it all's this season?

Mockaveli
Oct 10, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

So what's going to happen to survivor know it all's this season?

Josh Wigler is taking over Stephen's spot. Rob and Josh announced it in their most recent podcast on RHAP.

Personally, I'm a little sick of listening to Josh after listening to the Evolution of Strategy with those two, but it'll still probably be good.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
It's going to be Rob C and Josh Wigler. Josh is doing The Evolution of Strategy which is a season by season podcast of all 30 seasons. It's really drat good especially the Amazon and All Stars podcasts.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Getting into Survivor when China was starting was one of my favourite life decisions.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I am so psyched for this season. I don't even know who to root for.

Mockaveli
Oct 10, 2012

dantheman650 posted:

I am so psyched for this season. I don't even know who to root for.

I know. Unless some of these people somehow become horrible, I'd be happy with a win from just about everyone other than Tasha, Wentworth, Joe, and Savage, who I thought I liked but changed my mind about in a recent Pearl Islands rewatch.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I'm rooting for the old-school players. They are always much more interesting with some perspective behind them. Jerri from Australia being such a different player all three times. From A grade cow, to active player to Yoga chick.

Season could do with some more man-candy to look at though.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My pony right now is Savage. He got hosed in one of the shittiest twists ever. He wasn't a flawless player but he is my favorite from Pearl Islands.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mockaveli posted:

Josh Wigler is taking over Stephen's spot. Rob and Josh announced it in their most recent podcast on RHAP.

Personally, I'm a little sick of listening to Josh after listening to the Evolution of Strategy with those two, but it'll still probably be good.

Pity, I was hoping for an actual survivor alumni.

Oh well. I'm cheering for Spencer and Fishie. Probably leaning towards Spencer for the win, but I'd be happy for either of those two really. I bet he's happy he doesn't have to be with Kass and Tasha again.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 28, 2015

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Hah, Kelley Wentworth and Kelly Wiglesworth on the same tribe, I hope they form a F2 alliance.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Who the hell is Kelly?

Who the hell is Kelley?

:psyduck:

Mockaveli
Oct 10, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Pity, I was hoping for an actual survivor alumni.

Yeah me too, but it seems like the most active RHAP survivors wouldn't really be able to do it. Tyson does the Spyson Hour, Aras will be spoiled by Vytas, and a bunch of them are on the show with Stephen or have other survivor media jobs.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

Sith Happens posted:

Who the hell is Kelly?

Who the hell is Kelley?

:psyduck:

Kelly is the one Kelly we shouldn't be saying who the gently caress is Kelly to.

"Kelly, who turned into the rat that ran around like the rats do on this island, trying to run from the snake." -Sue Hawk

That said, I don't think she'll be as much of a factor this season since she's still stuck in early survivor mentality and hasn't even watched subsequent seasons.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Still so disappointed Shane didn't make the cut...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I'm really excited to see the changes to the hidden immunity idols that were talked about on RHAP.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think the fact that I can't remember hardly anyone from the recent seasons speaks to the quality of the show lately.

That said, I have an irrational hatred of Stephen because some poster used to have a really stupid nickname for him, so I hope he goes home first, or falls in a fire.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

IRQ posted:

That said, I have an irrational hatred of Stephen because some poster used to have a really stupid nickname for him, so I hope he goes home first, or falls in a fire.

:frogout:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mockaveli posted:

Yeah me too, but it seems like the most active RHAP survivors wouldn't really be able to do it. Tyson does the Spyson Hour, Aras will be spoiled by Vytas, and a bunch of them are on the show with Stephen or have other survivor media jobs.

Cochran. It would be better than the actual show.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Rooting for Stephen and Spencer so hard this year. Also excited to
see how all the pregame alliances Shane called out play out. This one will be fun.

Edit: How is the thread title not a Holiday in Cambodia reference?

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 28, 2015

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Kass is clearly going to be the victor. You can't contain the Kaos!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Meinberg posted:

I hope Kass and Shirin team up. I like them.

They are crazy.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It says a lot that out of all these great returning players I'm most excited for #ChaosKass.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I don't actually remember a lot of these people.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Meinberg posted:

You're going to be so disappointed when she goes at the first tribal council.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I need to watch through Tocantins, Samoa, and Philippines to be ready for this season. Just finished Panama.

Though I watched The Australian Outback when Second Chances was announced, I have no idea who Jeff Varner is.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

BGrifter posted:

My one hope is that Kass lasts long enough to be invited back a third time because if I never get to see Tony and Kass on the same season again, I don't know what I'll do.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

BGrifter posted:

Naw, there's more obvious first boots. Kass has a bad rep, but she's not an idiot, and will try to keep a low profile. She'd also be valuable as an ally to someone willing to put in the maintenance work; the thing is that she's loyal to people that earn her trust, and flipped on Tasha and Spencer because they didn't trust her, and pretty blatantly replaced her with Sarah in the pecking order of the alliance. But she never, ever flipped on Tony.

I expect Ta Keo will go to Tribal Council first, at any rate, meaning Kass can't be the first boot.
First boot: Abi-Maria :smith:

I'm rooting for Jeff, PG, Kelly, Kimmi, Kass, Stephen, and Savage. although I'm really hoping a female wins. It's likely, too, as both prior full all-stars seasons were won by women, and weak women at that. The players may be aware of this, but it won't stop it from happening again.
and against: Vytas, Spencer, Terry, Kelley

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Wasn't Wigglesworth the one who bit her boyfriends nose in a domestic thing shortly after the finale of S1?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
God I hope Abi-Maria goes first.

That would instantly improve the season.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Asiina posted:

God I hope Abi-Maria goes first.

That would instantly improve the season.

Yep, not a fan at all.

Kaos Kass all the way!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Last season suuuuuuuuucked but OMG Spencer and Woo Tribe.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The only good thing about Savage returning is that he might accomplish the astounding feat of making Terry not the most humorless dick in a Survivor cast.

This dispatch with Varner from pre-game Ponderosa was really interesting to me, and has me excited that he'll actually have the personality he was billed as having in Australia this time around: http://parade.com/418991/joshwigler/survivors-jeff-varner-has-a-million-things-on-his-mind/ (mild spoilers for his mindset/potential targets going into the season)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Spatula City posted:

Naw, there's more obvious first boots. Kass has a bad rep, but she's not an idiot, and will try to keep a low profile.

Unfortunately she is an idiot and blew up her own spot aggressively trying to form pregame alliances with everyone on the cast list before the voting. According to Shane she was by far the most pushy and aggressive about trying to make deals with everyone pre-season.

The only way I see her surviving the first episode is if her tribe wins immunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My summer job ended, I've got a crap-ton of free time. Im thinking of ponying up (heh) the money for CBS' All-Access thing and start watching all the seasons since i've only seen half of them.

What was the season-by-season podcast that someone mentioned was really great, like every page in last season's thread? I think it was Rob C, maybe?

• Locked thread