Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Problem description: I don't know if my problem is Windows 10-related, Windows-related, Chrome-related, or Dell-related, but I'd appreciate some advice. I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7000, and upgraded it from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I like to use two-finger scrolling to scroll on webpages (gmail, SA, etc). But every now and then it seems broken. I'll go to a tab (like my gmail tab right now) and two-finger scrolling just doesn't work, regardless of the cursor position. If I scroll down, nada, zilch, nothing. If I scroll up, however, the window "dips" about a line's worth of height so that I can see the title bars of the windows behind my current window.

I have no idea the rhyme or reason for when i starts doing this, and when it stops, but it's not terribly consistent. Sometimes it seems related to resizing windows, (as in it starts right after I've dragged the right edge of a window to expand it) but I can't say for sure that's always the case.

I do not have the problem when using an external mouse's mouse wheel to scroll. I also do not have the problems in all of my tabs at the same time (e.g. I might be able to scroll in SA but not in gmail).

Attempted fixes: Rebooting solves the problem. Refreshing a window does not solve the problem. Sometimes time solves the problem, sometimes it doesn't. It's been fairly recent, so I haven't pinned things down yet.

Recent changes: It's a new computer (arrived Thursday), but I did upgrade the computer to Windows 10. However, I did not have this on my old Macbook Pro that had Windows 10 on boot camp.
--

Operating system: 64-bit Windows 10.

System specs: Dell Inspiron 15 7548. i7 5500U, 8 GB ram, 1 TB hard drive, etc.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: I've tried to google it and have been thwarted. Almost everything I've found related to trackpad & two-finger scrolling problems and Windows 10 is driver-related. I don't think I have a driver problem because the trackpad works fine much of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I have this on the new XPS 13. It's an issue with the microsoft driver. Windows 10 won't let you use the Synaptics. I suggest a clean install of Windows 10 to make sure there aren't any driver remains left. Also, confirm in Device Manager where it's using the MS driver or Synaptics.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks. So, you recommend doing a complete reinstall of Windows and then just using the windows drivers for everything? I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to drivers. Does that mean I'd lose access to the touch screen?

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Windows update will automatically get the drivers for you. Device manager just shows it as a PS/2 mouse.

• Locked thread