Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Spak Brothers in Friendship has very good sandwiches much like Primanti's. I miss the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern for beer and pierogis, and Conflict Kitchen, and mussels at Point Brugge.

I'll be rallying other ex-pats to watch Opening Day in New York, and can't wait to be home in May. I'd shoot someone for Pamela's in the morning - split sweet and savory, blueberry hot cakes with corned beef hash and eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I like Le Mardi Gras because it has carpet and people smoke there, which feels atavistic and depraved.

Also Riley's Pour House in Carnegie for wings and Smithwick's on tap. Plus it's Penn Marzen season.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Citizen Tayne posted:

I lived in Carnegie 1999-2002 and live pretty close to it now (I'm at the intersection of Rt 19 and Rt 51) and I don't know Riley's, back then Cump's was where you went for wings but they've been closed forever.

I'm pretty impressed with Carnegie's Main St, I was away for a long time and drove through on my way to Gab & Eat and it's lookin' pretty good. Not walkable, but good.

Riley's used to be called Paddy's (and before that, Sullivan's, but that was way way back). They rename it every few years after a dead regular, I believe.

There's always a guy playing the piano, low-key spot good for a big group drink.

And yeah Main Street is looking alive, after the flood it looked like a wasteland for a couple years.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Tony's Café in Carnegie has happy hour 7 to 9 in the morning.

I met some high school friends at Cure in Lawrenceville last time I was in town, that place is good.

On a sad note, Shadow Lounge in East Liberty is gone.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
My favorite Post Gazette quote:

"And first of all, with our local robbers, they take the money [and flee]. They're in and out. They're not stopping to do artwork."

-A Pittsburgh cop, taking pride in his local blue collar thieves.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Stymie posted:

the only thing i know about pittsburgh is that they are objectively worse at football than denver

They're certainly bad at playing in Denver.

Silver Alicorn posted:

well if you go far enough west

what's the deer population in pittsburgh?

A lot, I didn't go to a rural high school at all, but kids would always come with venison jerky to share from something they shot over the weekend.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
It is true that Pittsburgh sucks if you're unsocial and people don't like you.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

graph posted:

hines ward is awesome. did you know the mayor at the time of filming is the kicker? he's a manbaby tho

Remember when he changed his name to Steelerstahl lol.

Also, my favorite cinematic use of Pittsburgh is Wonder Boys.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

graph posted:

duolingo is in pittsburgh

They used to have a neat little office on Walnut right above Jitters Cafe, no idea if they're still there though. Right down the street from Mercurio's - pop in there to get a midday coffee with their mulberry gelato now that it's nice out.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Kordell was treated unfairly in Pittsburgh, which saddens me.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

graph posted:

he had a heck of an interview this week on pittsburgh sports radio. some national outlets picked it up

Oh nice, I'll listen tomorrow at work.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

graph posted:

kordell stewart, former pittsburgh steelers quarterback, dropped 'adam and eve not adam and steve' unironically.

That's...lol

Well I'm off to sleep, I'll dream of Mancini's in McKees Rocks.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Notorious QIG posted:

Despite having never been to Pittsburgh, I have a bank account with the Pittsburgh National Company.

That's how influential Pittsburgh is.

If you are ever in New York City, you can withdraw money free of charge from any McDonald's ATM with your PNC debit card. A lot of people don't realize this for some reason and end up eating the ATM fee or finding one of the like three PNC ATMs in the city.

A good tip for traveling Pittsburghers.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Let's Go See The Bucs!

(Can't embed, on mobile).

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'll miss Alvarez's monster home runs for the sheer spectacle but he was a liability on offense and defense, no doubt.

WHYGAVS had a good post on the rotation and the role of fifth starters.

His blog is irreplaceable for pirates writing.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hillman Library, Hunt Library, and CLP-Main are all within a ten minute walking radius. It's an incredible repository of books and learning.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
And Uncle Sam's, which I'm craving

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Citizen Tayne posted:

Ah, yeah, that's right, Joe Schmoe can't just call the chancellor to yell at him like they can the chancellor of the University of California system.

University of Pittsburgh is the definition of a public university; it's a land grant university that receives funding from the state. PSU and Pitt are public universities and the only people who say otherwise are people who want to pretend they went to a private university.

Pitt is not a land-grand university at all though. It receives state funding but is not administered by the state itself, unlike Penn State. That said, given that it depends on state funds, the state can and does influence operations.

But yes, it's a public school.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
My grandma lived on Neville Island when it was farms and a shipyard. She was cool as hell.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Have we won in Denver since the mountain air activated Ryan Clark's sickle cell trait

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
With unbalanced scheduling, the Pirates would have won like 110 games if they were in the East last year. Those teams all blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

• Locked thread