Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

scuz posted:

PSA: watch Days of Thunder. Or rewatch it like I'm doing.

Hit the pace car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

mafoose posted:

Also, your mechanic sucks if they aren't willing to jam your window up with a dowel or pcv pipe. Just do it yourself next time, it's easy.

Its the dealers in house shop. Works being done free so the price is right at least. I asked about shoving a dowel in there and they claimed its a liability issue if the bodge lets go and the window breaks and I didn't push the issue because hey, free. They were nice guys though. I don't think they did it out of incompetence or laziness.

I'll try putting the glass back in and propping it up if it stops raining for five minutes tomorrow. It can't be that hard, right?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hmmmm...

Whitewalls...

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
Nice price for those. I would do it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looking at a 2004 Suburban with a dead gauge cluster. Any way to find the actual mileage without a Tech2?

Edit: moving to the stupid questions thread.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Ask a hippie how many innocent lives it's destroyed with carbon emissions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Ask a hippie how many innocent lives it's destroyed with carbon emissions.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Looking at a 2004 Suburban with a dead gauge cluster. Any way to find the actual mileage without a Tech2?

Edit: moving to the stupid questions thread.

Better obd2 readers may pull it. I known my autel md802 can do it.

But dead clusters are common as poo poo on that era of suburbans

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

scuz posted:

My girlfriend is so happy that I've found MCM. Thanks, September Chat Thread!

I've never heard of it until now and, yeah, it's pretty drat awesome! I already sent it to a few friends.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

keykey posted:

I've never heard of it until now and, yeah, it's pretty drat awesome! I already sent it to a few friends.
It's already taught me what red-back spiders are and how to convert from kW to horsepower. It's also reinforced what Our Lord Finnegan once said: "Everything Deserves a Turbo"

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
RIP £290 to tax my car for the year

edit: More sad about the £500 it cost to replace the DPF fluid tank on our volvo

warcake fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 30, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
What is MCM?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

What is MCM?
Mighty Car Mods, a YouTube show where a Duo from Down Under do wacky things to cars! The only thing I don't like is the soundtrack.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Something else I've always been confused about is... how the gently caress does a PE signing off on something mean the building inspector doesn't need to see it? The PEs do their poo poo when looking at plans and stuff an architect and/or engineers put together, not when determining if the building passes inspection and is legal to inhabit.

I have never understood why this was even A Thing for groverhaus.

Because it's not A THING.

Grover's PE stunt was because he needed sealed plans to get his permits, and no PE in their right mind would sign his lovely plans.

In most jurisdictions once the plans have been sealed by a PE one only needs to follow them and get the details right per prevailing code and you will be inspected. But you've moved past the part where inadequately speced footings and load bearing drywall can be called out. You have not moved past being inspected by the local AHJ and being held to the plans as well as any other non-big-picture-structural items, and in most cases the AHJ can reject sealed plans before permitting if they are too far off from code.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

What is MCM?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11zpXnFStNo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ilkhan posted:

What is MCM?

Man Crush Monday.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My desk at work is :perfect:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

Hmmmm...

Whitewalls...

I bought these. I know people say that the bus needs "C"-rated 8-ply tires, but the only ones I can find that fit are trailer tires with lovely tread patterns. I already have 205/75-14 car tires on there, and these are a real, non-chinesium brand, and whitewalls.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Still seems like a pretty drat good deal.

I'm looking at $95 a tire for chinesium whitewalls for my car. granted they're probably twice that size.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

scuz posted:

Mighty Car Mods, a YouTube show where a Duo from Down Under do wacky things to cars! The only thing I don't like is the soundtrack.

Unfortunately, the soundtrack will literally never get any better, because it's all Moog's music.

It's not that offensive, though, and the only not-awesome thing about the show.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cage posted:

My desk at work is :perfect:

Where did you get this, or is it custom?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

I bought these. I know people say that the bus needs "C"-rated 8-ply tires, but the only ones I can find that fit are trailer tires with lovely tread patterns. I already have 205/75-14 car tires on there, and these are a real, non-chinesium brand, and whitewalls.

C is 6 ply.
If you don't plan on loading it past 6000 lbs total vehicle weight you're fine, that tire is rated to 1500lb/corner.
e: plus, if you had it loaded that heavily I don't think it would be able to get up to the kind of speeds you'd also need to be doing to do damage. Whatever graybeards keep flipping the hell out saying you must use 6ply clearly have no idea how load/speed tables work, or that tire technology has advanced a bit since the '60s.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 30, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

The Locator posted:

Where did you get this, or is it custom?
There is/was a deal in coupons for a custom mousepad for .99, so yeah I found the picture online and uploaded it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3738894

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think I might have gotten too big of a phone.
Also gently caress gently caress gently caress I want a dedicated soft back button.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tommychu posted:

C is 6 ply.
If you don't plan on loading it past 6000 lbs total vehicle weight you're fine, that tire is rated to 1500lb/corner.
e: plus, if you had it loaded that heavily I don't think it would be able to get up to the kind of speeds you'd also need to be doing to do damage. Whatever graybeards keep flipping the hell out saying you must use 6ply clearly have no idea how load/speed tables work, or that tire technology has advanced a bit since the '60s.

Whoops, my bad on the ply thing.

All of the VW bus forums (well, TheSamba and it's mighty crowd of zombie followers) say that the bus needs special stiff sidewall tires because of how tall it is and how that can load the sidewalls during cornering. I understand that, a taller vehicle means more weight swinging side-to-side on the suspension, which can mean greater loading on a corner tire. But, my bus isn't a camper, and is 3300 pounds dressed. I used the same tires on my Olds Delta 88, which shows 4300 pounds curb weight. Also, the bus is slower and has manual steering, so I'm hoping I won't be taking corners too fast. And I swear the only "185R14C" tires I can find, with any combination or variation of the rating syntax, are either trailer tires, or $300 apiece vintage classic special bullshit tires.

That and I drove on these 2004 dryrotted Chinesium tires for 1400 miles two months ago, I feel pretty safe :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Unfortunately, the soundtrack will literally never get any better, because it's all Moog's music.

It's not that offensive, though, and the only not-awesome thing about the show.
Exactly. Not my cup-o-tea; I'm a real instrument kinda guy :banjo:

gently caress, I just watched the 3-part "How to Turbo" and wanna slap a turbo on my lovely 2.0L 8V VW engine.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Phone posted:

I think I might have gotten too big of a phone.
Also gently caress gently caress gently caress I want a dedicated soft back button.

You'll get used to the size.

What kind of phone did you get?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
6s+

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

Whoops, my bad on the ply thing.

All of the VW bus forums (well, TheSamba and it's mighty crowd of zombie followers) say that the bus needs special stiff sidewall tires because of how tall it is and how that can load the sidewalls during cornering. I understand that, a taller vehicle means more weight swinging side-to-side on the suspension, which can mean greater loading on a corner tire. But, my bus isn't a camper, and is 3300 pounds dressed. I used the same tires on my Olds Delta 88, which shows 4300 pounds curb weight. Also, the bus is slower and has manual steering, so I'm hoping I won't be taking corners too fast. And I swear the only "185R14C" tires I can find, with any combination or variation of the rating syntax, are either trailer tires, or $300 apiece vintage classic special bullshit tires.

That and I drove on these 2004 dryrotted Chinesium tires for 1400 miles two months ago, I feel pretty safe :v:

Right, I forgot that that was the concern and not the actual load rating. Either way, you're fine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I think my computer didn't like your post length because I could see this post existed on the AI page but it wasn't showing up in the thread until after Tommychu posted.

Thanks, Radiation (or whoever the gently caress runs the forums now)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm considering the Project Fi thing for my cell service. I'm currently on T-Mobile, so other than the cost of the new phone (since I currently have a Galaxy S3, I'd have to buy one of those Nexus phones that support it), is there a down side to making the switch? I'd keep all T-Mobile service that I currently have, and add Sprint coverage, and in theory my bill should go down since you only pay for data you actually use.

Is anyone here on this service and have any feedback on it?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Isn't project fi invite only right now?

Also, depending on where you're at, sprint coverage sucks.

You could buy a nexus phone and use it on your current plan until you get your invite though.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The Locator posted:

I'm considering the Project Fi thing for my cell service. I'm currently on T-Mobile, so other than the cost of the new phone (since I currently have a Galaxy S3, I'd have to buy one of those Nexus phones that support it), is there a down side to making the switch? I'd keep all T-Mobile service that I currently have, and add Sprint coverage, and in theory my bill should go down since you only pay for data you actually use.

Is anyone here on this service and have any feedback on it?

I got my invite this morning and signed up then, but the SIM card wont' arrive for "2 to 3 weeks". I'll let you know at that point; however you should know that PFi piggybacks off both Sprint AND T-Mobile for their connections, as well as WiFi access points. So your coverage would be at least as good as it is now, plus Spring, plus open hotspots. And yeah, seems like the only downside is that if you're in an area with lovely Sprint AND T-Mob coverage, you're screwed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ugh, it was moving day at work today. Nothing huge, just moving to a different building. It's just a giant stick in the wheel of your daily routine, especially when you're told you need to move one day earlier than originally planned, as in "we're moving your stuff in 1 hour, better start packing".

Due to the fact that we're all on open-plan floors, we obviously had to figure out who got the slightly more desirable desks with the walls behind then, instead of being completely out in the open.

It mostly went without any issues, but one of my colleagues was all like "I've been with the company for 35+ years, I come in super early and leave super late, so I should get the best spot, because I'm here all the time and I'm used to having a good spot like that". So we decided to draw lots so everything would be all fair like, but he said he was too busy to participate. We drew lots for him as well in his absence, otherwise we would have been unable to unpack our stuff for hours. Well he lost the draw, I got the good spot, now he's grumpy as all hell about it and he's written an email to our boss about how unfair he thinks it is.

And I have to work with this guy.

I loving hate office bullshit. If I knew he would pitch a shitfit like that, I would have just given him the drat spot, but we were trying to be fair about it. It's amazing how petty some people can be.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sigma X posted:

I got my invite this morning and signed up then, but the SIM card wont' arrive for "2 to 3 weeks". I'll let you know at that point; however you should know that PFi piggybacks off both Sprint AND T-Mobile for their connections, as well as WiFi access points. So your coverage would be at least as good as it is now, plus Spring, plus open hotspots. And yeah, seems like the only downside is that if you're in an area with lovely Sprint AND T-Mob coverage, you're screwed.

Since I'm already on T-Mobile, I figured there can't really be a coverage downside. I've never actually done a phone/carrier swap myself before, so I need to look into how (or if) I can move all my apps and contacts etc. from the Samsung to the Nexus. Thinking I'll just get an unlocked phone from Amazon and then I can use it on T-mobile or Fi either way.

As far as the invites go, I applied for an invite and it came less than 48 hours later, so apparently it's not very hard to get the invite right now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Ugh, it was moving day at work today. Nothing huge, just moving to a different building. It's just a giant stick in the wheel of your daily routine, especially when you're told you need to move one day earlier than originally planned, as in "we're moving your stuff in 1 hour, better start packing"....

I loving hate office bullshit. If I knew he would pitch a shitfit like that, I would have just given him the drat spot, but we were trying to be fair about it. It's amazing how petty some people can be.

When we did our move a couple of years ago (across the parking lot, sort of like yours it appears) they avoided all the bullshit by simply handing everyone a map that had their new desk locations on it. Move your poo poo dudes, and go where you are told. I prefer that system as it avoids the poo poo you are dealing with.

We also moved a week earlier than planned, screwing up everyone's schedules.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

While my car is in the shop for hail damage, the rental company gave me a Ford Taurus as a loaner. It's too big, with too much wasted space, you sit too high and it wallows like a whale.

But it's loving hilarious to drive because everybody thinks it's an unmarked police cruiser.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

I ran that exact tire in a 215/75R14 on my Ranger for the last year I had it. They were perfectly fine, though I ran mine whitewall-in.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, let's figure out, from the pictures, which really specific, required tool I have yet to purchase.

It worked after much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then both jacks fell onto my ankles, but I was so happy about the victory that I didn't care.

For the tie rods, I'm thinking about picking up one of these. Does anybody know if they're any good?

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Geirskogul posted:

Well, let's figure out, from the pictures, which really specific, required tool I have yet to purchase.

It worked after much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then both jacks fell onto my ankles, but I was so happy about the victory that I didn't care.

For the tie rods, I'm thinking about picking up one of these. Does anybody know if they're any good?

For the time it took you to set that up, you probably could've gone to the store to get a ball joint separator.

• Locked thread