Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fjelltorsk posted:

yesterday, august 28th at 1335 hours, the year of our lord 2015 i was declared cancer free. there is no evidence of mutation anywhere in my body. i am done....
76 doses of chemo, 6 surgeries and 184 radiation treatments is behind me...
drat man congratulations, you seem to have made it through in really good spirits and without it completely loving up your body for the long term. Well done, go get drunk several more times.

T-Square posted:

A new indoor electric kart racing place just opened up down the street from me a few weeks ago, exactly the same thing as a K1 Speed, if anyone's familiar with it. Same karts and everything. Every time you go in there, all you hear is "Dude I'm going to spin you out right away" "Duuude I'm going to smash into you so hard!"
Next time I'm in the area I'll let you know. We'll race the hell out of some karts.

Pham Nuwen posted:

HPC is super boring though, hope you like tweaking the same set of loving PDEs for your entire career! If you want something more interesting you can work on the operating systems or programming models, but the problem is all the application programmers have their 20 year old FORTRAN+C MPI codes that they'll never ever re-write so you have to support legacy bullshit forever.
HPC is fun if you're the monkey breaking and fixing the hardware. Enough downtime it doesn't suck but enough variety it's always interesting.

So Gingerman in Michigan was one hell of a weekend. 9 hour race Saturday, I drove 7 hours and we took first. 7 hour Sunday and we managed a third thanks to attrition. Best weekend we've ever had and the new engine ran great with the track day break-in on Friday. We discovered removing the rear swaybar helped a lot and that I'm fast as poo poo in the rain...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CornHolio posted:

My little brother is an immature poo poo who's getting a new car...

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ranger with a 3.0 Vulcan. Indestructible, slow, and reliable.
Ranger was going to be my first suggestion otherwise a Nissan hardbody or whatever is pretty drat indestructible as well. 2wd with actual snow tires would do just fine if he isn't a complete gently caress up.

CommieGIR posted:

I'm waiting for Fallout 4 and Dishonored 2
Yes, I'm really looking forward to these two.

I just matched with a friend of Rhyno's on Tinder.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CornHolio posted:

By hardbody do you mean Frontier or XTerra? Either might be good for him. Haven't thought about those.
Na I mean the early 90's plain boring hardbody (aka pickup), there's also the 4wd version. If he wants something nicer looking and newer I have no experience with them.

Some entertaining video from this weekend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGzzjQvEeec

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

:siren: MustardFacial gets in a huff about the games industry.....again. :siren:
I learned my lesson when I pre-ordered Spore...what a piece of poo poo, never again. It's nice Steam is good with refunds so I can buy a game without worrying too much.

14 INCH DICK posted:

The blackest burn I have ever seen went something along the lines of "with how many horrible tragedies happen almost daily in the United States, you'd almost think it was built on the top of thousands of ancient Indian burial grounds."
:boom:

I was thinking about picking one of these up the other day. I'm mostly interested in using it to see the heart rate data during races but it may be handy for working out and tracking stuff.

You guys are really tempting to buy the Mad Max game, I now have a computer that will run it. Watched the movie again last night. Still amazing.

Mom got a new puppy the other day and keeps sending me photos, that's going to be a BIG girl. I really want a dog.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Kingsmen. Great simple action and also hilarious. The church brawl has to be seen to be believed
Kingsmen is a great one because it doesn't take itself seriously at all http://imgur.com/gallery/wyFbOHm

I think I need a weekend to recover from last weekend, drat. Prepped two bikes for the track this weekend, did a ton of lawn/house poo poo that I had been neglecting and cooked way too much food. Then spent several house playing slip-n-slide kickball last night. Amazingly no one broke anything but holy poo poo am I sore and covered in bruises. Would have been brutal if more people would have showed up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Put in some new hardware yesterday, I had to take off before they fired things back up. Come in today to do a little cleanup and testing...hardware has wrong firmware level and can't be down reved to match the rest of the stuff. Have been sitting here twiddling my thumbs all loving day while we wait for software, debate if it's worth the risk of updating everything or if we remove all the stuff we did yesterday. We were supposed to have a decision by 10am...it's nearly 3 :suicide:

Really didn't need today to go way longer than planned. Still have to find race gas, pickup my tires, rebuild a carb, put a couple heat cycles on the engine and a few other things tonight before I even start packing the car. :bang:

edit: up to a 60% chance of rain for my trackday where I'll be running slicks

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 10, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

drat you guys post and bitch a lot...

Cakefool posted:

I stopped on the way home to look at an NB mx5 and it didn't excite me on the slightest. Am I broken? Will I feel different when my garage is useable rather than packed full of poo poo and inaccessible?
I owned a NA for a little more than a year, wasn't really a fan. Didn't enjoy driving it unless I was going too fast for the area/conditions and even driving with the top down lost it's charm pretty quick for me. That said driving it irresponsibly on the road was fairly fun and the few I've tracked have been pretty enjoyable.

Want another Porsche for the yard?

MustardFacial posted:

LS3 on the left, miata engine on the right:

I'm torn between big V8 for cheap and easy power or small possibly boosted engines. I think it depends a lot on what it's going in and how the weight difference is going to effect everything. I'd love to toss a LS in an E30 but the couple swaps I've driven weren't balanced with that much weight in front. The cars handle much better with a little four cylinder up front. IMO all engines are great, just find one suited to what you want...

kimbo305 posted:

Test drove a Factory Five 818. Tomorrow is the 348.
Going into it, it's Spyder > 818 > Evora. The Evora was nice and cheaper than the Spyder, but the 818's price proposition is insane.
If the 818 ends up being the top pick have the seller deal with the registration bull poo poo. If he's selling it as street legal that's a lot of poo poo to mess around with that I wouldn't want to deal with.

Trying to decide if I should just factory reset my phone (1st gen Moto G) since it's running slow and lovely or buy the newest version to get the expandable memory. If I reset I need to look into saving stuff from a few apps and some text message logs.

Track day on the bikes yesterday. First three sessions on the WR250 to relearn the track and get a feel for things. After lunch was the RS125gp and holy poo poo that little thing is amazing. Once youtube finishes uploading I'll toss a link in here.

Looks like it's now a full two weeks in CA coming up. Nice to travel and eat great food for free but at the same time timing on it really sucks this time.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Have they worked out some sort of telepresence robot arm thing so you can jerk people off over the internet yet?

Thelonious posted:

Yup. About two years ago they closed up on a Saturday afternoon, locked the doors and that was it. A fully stocked hardware store sat untouched.
I hate to see a shop go out of business but it's a great way to stock up on stuff. Guy we race with bought all their loose hardware and a bunch of other stuff that's really handy to have around.

Youtube is slow as poo poo today for uploading. Under an hour total of video and it's still uploading from earlier...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

From the TFR photo thread

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Yep, rained in socal :v:
I noticed a poo poo load of accidents there earlier and wondered what the gently caress was going on. Rain explains it all, that's amazing.

Looks like the Porsche Rennsport Revival is taking place while I'm in CA. Might have to spend a day at Leguna Seca looking at cars. http://porscherennsportreunion.com/

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Quite A Tool posted:

So I finally got Torque Pro for my phone. Any recommendations for an inexpensive Bluetooth OBDII dongle?
I bought this one, it works when it feels like it - http://www.amazon.com/gp/B005NLQAHS Need to get in touch with the seller and see if I can get a replacement sent after I test it with another phone or two.

CharlesM posted:

I don't know but usually stuff is supposed to show up on release day.
This has always been how it's worked for stuff I've pre-ordered.

MustardFacial posted:

It's ok to like bikes as well as cars right? Like the two things aren't mutually exclusive right?
I think a lot of regular AI posters have both. I have almost as many motorcycles as I do cars.

fjelltorsk posted:

it insane, 3 months ago we where 3 partners and one employee. buy the end of next month we will have 15, and will probably have to hire someone to do all the admin poo poo aswell...
That's some crazy expansion and a regular big contract like that should make things pretty comfortable for you guys for a while. Well done.

Bought photos from the photographer at the track last weekend. The guy is good, he can make even me appear to be going fast...

How many Bay Area people do we have in here? Not sure what hours I'm going to be working but I'll probably be done by 4 or 5 and looking for something to do for the next couple weeks. Have a concert/festival on the 26th and may head to Laguna Seca the 27th but otherwise no plans.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

keykey posted:

A friend of mine is sitting through an A+ cert class right now since his work paid for him to do it since they want all their techs A+ certified. He has been writing nuggets of wisdom all week that the instructor is giving the class. I'm pretty sure his instructor wrote the screenplay for hackers. Enjoy: https://twitter.com/aplusblowhard
Amazing but not too surprising.

iwentdoodie posted:

One, will water hurt a cylinder head? No valvecover, hydraulic lifters. No solvents or high pressure, just with a garden hose to clear gunk and poo poo off it.

Two, cheap impact? Is the HF one decent enough? Just need it to remove a crank pulley.
1 - no just get it all out of there when you're done. 2 - don't have someone that would let you borrow one? Some autoparts store might have one you can rent.

MustardFacial posted:

The amount of sound advice I've gotten from this forum of car nerds astounds me to this day.
Who needs a shrink when you have AI :glomp:

Didn't realize the Moto G had been up-sized between the generations, the extra screen and stuff is nice but drat I liked the original one's size better. Otherwise I'm happy with it and holy crap moving everything between phones was a breeze with the motorola migrate or whatever. All my music, text messages, settings, apps, etc were transferred over. Pretty slick, guess I didn't need to back up everything to an external after all.

Stay classy Tinder:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Oh yeah definitely bots or a cam site but better than the usual poo poo as Raluek said.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

1250kms on the bike in just 20 days. I'm going to see a massage therapist. I am not looking forward to this at all it is gonna hurt
If you don't have one buy/make a foam roller. PVC pipe works pretty good if you put some tape on it. Lacrosse ball is also nice to have for tough spots. I was always sore after lifting, adding in foam rolling before or after made things a lot better.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So I skipped some 400 posts. Y'all move too fast but I will say that Utah is the prettiest state so suck on that. With regard to gas chat I swear I've been paying just under $3 for premium from chevron for months. I haven't seen it get near two bucks in like a year.
Utah is pretty drat nice, what area were you in? I get sent out there a couple times a year and always enjoy it.

fjelltorsk posted:

I paid 6 bucks for a gallon of diesel today. and you guys wonder why i drive a EV...
drat with those prices an EV makes even more sense. I was looking into them but then I realized how little money I spend on diesel a month and how long it would take to come even close to breaking even. Just wasn't worth it at the moment, when the VW finally dies I'll be looking at EV's to replace it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Right at the south end of the Salt Lake valley, about 15-20 miles from downtown Salt Lake. I wake up every morning and look at the awesome Wasatch Mountains.

Think the hotel I usually stay it is in the background of that shot. Beautiful place and the snowboarding this spring was pretty excellent despite the low snow fall. Seriously considered a position out there a few times.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is in Sandy, about 10 miles south of Downtown off of I-15. That photo was taken in April before everything turned nice and green. I didn't have any good mountain view photos on hand. I grew up slaying the canyons in my old E28 528e during high school :allears: I love this place and will probably never leave. Only thing we don't have is a beach, but we have plenty of lakes.

Yup Sandy Point exit is where we stay. Nice area that has grown a poo poo load in the last few years. Next time I'm out there I need to take an extra couple days to explore the area more or run down to Miller Motorsport Park if it's still open.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

This VW thing is a massive loving mess but with how stringent the regulations have become it isn't horribly surprising. It does suck though because it's going to be a massive hit to diesel sales in the US when they were starting to bring in more diesel models. My Dad's is in the model range so I gave him a heads up on the impending recall, he said his car will never see the dealership again. No dealership service, no recall, happy car. Wonder if this means I'll be able to pick up a 2009-2015 TDI cheap.

San Fransisco is pretty drat nice this time of year. Had a 'hot' day yesterday with it getting above 90 in a few places I guess, felt pretty nice to me.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You guys are forgetting that 95% of white girls under the age of 40 only drive Jettas.
Very rarely diesel though

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 21, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Cause I suck at pictures. I'm always too dirty to pick up my phone.
I tried to get a bunch of pictures for a thread when I did the E21 last winter. I had pictures when I'd get sick of something and take a break or when I'd get a call and have to find my phone. Next time I'm just going to strap on a gopro or something because I never remember to take pictures.

Remembered there's a big 'ethnic market' type place a minute or two walk from my hotel. Dinner was pizza, curry/naan, sushi, more pizza and some Chinese. Pretty drat tasty, love the variety of food in this area.

Now back at the hotel in a food coma watching Top Gear

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

T-Square posted:

Tonight I went on an awesome date, with an awesome chick I've never met before, and we just drank beers and talked for like three hours and it was awesome. :kimchi:

Also, I will probably be hungover all day tomorrow. Worth it.
:3: Sleep and soberness are over rated. Had an awesome date Thursday night drinking cocktails and talking. About half way through the night she looked at me funny and asked if I had heard of Something Awful...shes a goon

blk posted:

Lawnmower shopping - Consumer Reports really likes Honda but all the user submitted reviews from people who have owned them 6 months + say they used to be good but are unreliable poo poo now. Anyone have experience in this area?
I bought a Husqvarna this spring, it's been great. Runs great, starts right up and mows grass.

InitialDave posted:

To find that it's just, well, a switch, effectively, that runs a different map? That's a disappointingly simple solution, and as both Germans and engineers, they should feel bad.
I was kind of disappointed too. I mean they're German they should be over complicating the poo poo out of it not going oh it's in test mode lets run a different map. Bet they're wishing they would have put aside more money though, apparently they put aside $7 billion or something to deal with the fallout.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

gently caress 2015.

That's all
No, it's too early in the year for this poo poo. You ok man?

Day two on site...I still don't have accounts, training or permission to get on any of the systems :bang:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 22, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Enourmo posted:

its september
poo poo this year went fast. I didn't think we started the gently caress 2014 stuff too heavily until mid October last year but I'm probably wrong.

Backov posted:

So you immediately :sever:'ed and walked out then?
No then we geeked out about random poo poo that's happened on the forums.

T1g4h posted:

So you're gonna make her an AI Cool Dude, right? :v:
Oh yeah, I'll get right on that. Should have had her submit answers for the sheep game :doh:

LloydDobler posted:

I dated a goon girl once, she stalked all my posts. How's your post/probation history?
Meh good enough. She already knows my account from YLLS and the goon hawaii project thing.

Food in San Fransisco...holy poo poo I'd consider moving out here just for the food. Weather is pretty ideal too.

California people, how is the Monterrey area for a spot to kill some time in over the weekend sitting on a beach?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Raluek posted:

The aquarium owns, but that's all I remember about Monterey. :shobon:

nm posted:

You know our oceans aren't warm right?
I barely knew there was a beach in Monterey, just a kick rear end aquarium and Laguna Seca.

keykey posted:

Pretty good, lots of good beaches, bring some sunscreen though. People always go to lovers point on dates, pretty drat cliche.. Drive further down to Pacific Grove, they have better beaches that don't smell like sea lion piss. Also fog in the morning usually burns off by 11-12:30. If you do end up going to the aquarium, have breakfast at Coco's on the corner of David and Lighthouse. You're going to need to eat and they offer all day parking to paying diners and it's only 2 blocks down to the aquarium.

Excellent. Breakfast then aquarium and beach that doesn't smell like piss. Trying to figure out how I'm going to fit Laguna Seca in but that might have to be next trip, Porsche is doing their Rennsport Reunion though so I may push for that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

blk posted:

Those of you with more cars than garage space - how do you determine which cars go in the garage? Just had a...discussion with the wife about this and am curious how other people do it.
Cars go in the garage based on value and how pissed off I would be if anything happened to them, motorcycles fill in the gaps. Yet somehow the hail damaged E21 worth maybe 2k is in there while the 928 and VW sit outside. Everyone else can park outside, have priced out car ports a few times to keep the outside cars a little cleaner. Still going back and forth about putting in a lift or just building a second garage...

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm going to an advance screening on the 5th, and I'm so goddamn hyped about it.
I'm reading it again on this trip. Just as good the second time around.

kastein posted:

I think they might have a problem with that. But we should probably go and debate auto vs manual, diesel vs vortec, and/or superchargers vs turbochargers in a D&D thread at some point.

e: or maybe a motor oil recommendation thread, that's always great for getting the greybeards spun up
That could be entertaining to watch, I'd go with the oil recommendations.

Adiabatic posted:

I'm postin from a power station in West Virginia, where I've been poking around a bunch all morning. I have no data out here, but rest assured there's gonna be some loving cool pictures in here once I get back tonight!

Anyways, poo poo owns. Go renew a passion. Hope everyone's day's great!
:hfive:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Love that poo poo, thanks for posting that. Massive machinery and stuff is always great.

I'm trying to get a day at the new site building here largely to see things and take pictures. In California, and other earthquake prone areas, we usually put the cabinets on plates that let them move a little bit. At the new site the ENTIRE computer room floor is on wheels and can move around when a quake hits. The raised floor is also exactly 3'11" because at 4' people need to wear harnesses and poo poo to prevent falls. I need to see how they did that before I leave.

Here's a shot of the earthquake plates normally used...they're the black things a couple inches tall on the ground underneath the cabinets and in the foreground. They're a pain in the rear end to work with when installing a system and dangerous because 2k+ lb cabinets floating around smash fingers.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Oh that's cool

CommieGIR posted:

Reactor 2 that went into the new Watts Bar plant.
I've been through that place. No reason in particular but friend offered a tour and I wasn't going to pass it up.

My phone takes lovely pictures and there isn't really anything cool to see but here's the systems I'm babysitting this week...

Edison XC30 - 332 terabytes memory, 2.39 petaflop/second peak performance, 124,608 processing cores, 462 terabytes/second global memory bandwidth, 11 terabytes/second network bisection bandwidth, 7.56 petabytes disk storage, 163 gigabytes/second I/O bandwidth

Hopper XE6 - 1.28 Petaflops/sec, 153,216 compute cores, 217 Terabytes of memory, and 2 Petabytes of online disk storage.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

This is awesome. I want to do this.
Cray's always hiring all over the place.

Adiabatic posted:

As someone who's never seen a supercomputer before, this owns and makes me want to learn about them. Also those mural-cover-things are delightful!

Sigma X posted:

Cray has been doing wierdo furniture/art computers for as long as they've been around. For example, the Cray-1 and XMP was built with a couch attached to the side of each half-tower, the Cray-2 had plexi sides and illumination so you could see the memory boards, the Cray-3 got a plexi, liquid-filled box on the top...the YMP8 got more couches. They had a few "boring" systems, especially during the SG era, but they're their own company again and getting back into the display stuff.
Can't remember what system it was but one of the older ones was offered in Porsche colors using Porsche paint. All painted by a little Mom & Pop shop in Chippewa Falls, WI.

88h88 posted:

Yup, I'm having trouble putting those numbers in a manner I can understand.

Also how much power do those fuckers suck down and what are they being used for?

mariooncrack posted:

So what are those super computers used for? Mastering chess?
Titan is one of the systems I usually work on, 200 cabinets of XK7 and uses about 9 megawatts when running.

Geoj posted:

Anymore its as much for technical accomplishment as anything else, distributed computing has largely eclipsed individual supercomputing (and FWIW most new "supercomputers" are largely just a distributed computing setup with everything in the same datacenter.) I'm sure there's some things that need a shitload of raw processing power and can't be split up into smaller pieces of data to be processed by someone's home PC's spare CPU cycles or offloaded onto multiple purpose-built machines, but the need for a single god-tier supercomputer isn't nearly what it was 15-20 years ago.
We have some large jobs that will take thousands of cores (5k+) but for the most part jobs will grab a chunk of cores (50-500) and run. As far as what they're used for it depends on the system and who owns/runs it. Titan is DOE so a lot of energy and combustion related stuff but anyone can pay for time and submit jobs. Those little skirts that are under semis...those were tested on Titan. Our system owned by NOAA is used for climate simulation almost exclusively.

CommieGIR posted:

Simulations. Like 'Simulate every atom in a reactor' simulations, or simulating weather patterns where you want to create tens of hundreds of variables.
This. Instead of simulating things half-assed they simulate every atom or spec of dust or whatever else. One of the systems I worked in Germany last year was used to simulate how the placement of a building downtown contributed to dust from something ending up where it shouldn't.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 24, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Great Beer posted:

A class I was in did a tour of ORNL a while back and we got to see Titan just after it had been installed. Very cool poo poo. Do they use still use those fuckoff huge flywheels as part of the backup power supply?
They stopped trying to do backup power for our stuff a long time ago, just too much drat power. Some of the file system type stuff is dual feed power, they may use flywheels but I'm not sure.

Sigma X posted:

I worked as a contractor to SGI for a while, helped develop the software environment of and then on-site support'd some equipment they sold. Lot of folks nowadays don't even know who they are, but both Cray and SGI are still up to some really interesting things. In my opinion, it's really difficult to split development of HPC systems between "completely custom" like back in the 70s/80s and "modularized generic" like the Beowulf cluster caused the advent of.Anyone who's spending several million bucks on a system generally wants SOME customization, and when you (as a supercomputer company) start saying "no", they get upset. Conversely, the more customization, the less economies of scale you get.
There's still some custom projects for special customers but it's mostly a case of how big can you afford to go. There's some things that can still be tweaked depending on the specific needs of the customer but more and more it's becoming that everyone gets the same basic system then we adjust cpu/memory/gpu as needed for their application. The XT/XE/XK line are all the same cabinet more or less with different compute blades and interconnects. Same with the various XC systems we're shipping now.

Then there's the new Cray Cluster Solutions stuff, there's way more customization with those. Various rack sizes, blade sizes and compute densities as well as cpu/gpu combos depending on what they plan to do. Everything from blades that are mostly memory to blades that are packed full of GPUs.

MustardFacial posted:

Obligatory victory shot

Needs more lube

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, those are a heck of a lot prettier than the walls of fiber optic runs that are the fronts of the racks I'm cursed with.
We hide that poo poo in the back or in disk racks off to the side that are never photographed or shown to tours.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

My company's datacenter consumes about half that for somewhere around 4-5x as many cabinets. I wish more of our customers would even entertain density like that.
What's scary is compared to the new stuff that power density is nothing. Pushing better than double Titan numbers now :aaaaa:

Sigma X posted:

A particular government three-letter is the largest consumer of power in Maryland*. In 2007, it used 65-75 megawatt-hours and was expected to increase by 10-15 megawatt-hours in the next year, according to BGE (now Constellation Energy)*. HPC is a really big energy sink, both for the systems, and for the cooling facilities to deal with all the heat.
Oh the cooling requirements are stupid for HPC stuff, it's just mindblowing how much waste heat they dump even though they're 'room neutral'. That 9 megawatts is only going to power the compute cabinets. That doesn't include our heat exchange pumps, any of the storage or the customers air handlers and massive chillers.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I passed a semi hauling a blade for one of these things. It was the single largest object on a trailer I've ever seen. After seeing it that closely, I'm just in awe of those things now.
First time I saw one of those I just kind of sat and stared. I have a picture somewhere from last summer parked next to one in a truck stop, absolutely massive. Someone in AI or CA works on turbines if I remember right.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MrChips posted:

I don't understand that sentiment one bit; I personally think wind turbines look cool as heck and are very relaxing to look at as they turn.
I'd love to have a big chunk of land full of turbines. They're almost spooky up close (standing at the base close) but I love seeing them when I'm driving across the country.

Great Beer posted:

There's a cluster of them near oak ridge, tn sitting on top of a mountain and Hawaii has a bunch of them on the big island. They're big but the USA has a lot of otherwise useless space.
Windrock, I ride crash dirt bikes there. You used to be able to ride right up to them but people are stupid so...

keykey posted:

Add more 0's, you poors.
:golfclap:

Yay conference calls all day :suicide:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Thanks for the recommendations on stuff to do in Monterey. The aquarium does in fact own, Coco's makes good brunch and there's some nice beaches down HIghway 1 a ways. Nice way to spend a Sunday. Sitting in traffic on the way back with a ton of beautiful Porsches driving back from the Rennsport thing was pretty nice too.

Festival last night, Beyond Wonderland, was absolutely amazing. Holy poo poo I need to go to more festivals. Highlight of the night was definitely Flux Pavilion.

On laptop chat we bought Mom a factory refurb Lenovo a year or two ago and it's been working great. Think it was around $400 at max. My brother had a chromebook for a while that he loved until it was stolen, good for real basic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Well, let's figure out, from the pictures, which really specific, required tool I have yet to purchase.

It worked after much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then both jacks fell onto my ankles, but I was so happy about the victory that I didn't care.
For the tie rods, I'm thinking about picking up one of these. Does anybody know if they're any good?
That's an impressive level of rigging, nicely done.

MrChips posted:

While my car is in the shop for hail damage, the rental company gave me a Ford Taurus as a loaner. It's too big, with too much wasted space, you sit too high and it wallows like a whale.
Parked my rental (Hyundai Sonata) next to one of these the other day. They're absolutely massive, looks like a short SUV. Sonata itself isn't too terrible but the transmission can't make up it's drat mind about what gear it wants to be in which is annoying as hell.

Sigma X posted:

If you have Google integration on your Samsung, when you sign into your account on your new phone all your contacts will be imported. Google store apps will be available to download under the "My Apps" section of the Google Play store.
Works on Motorola's as well using Motorola Migrate, really nice when switching phones. Had the option to move all apps, music, pictures and probably more just by putting the phones close to each other.

• Locked thread