Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I need to check my expectations:

Group of three go for lunch @ 1pm on a Saturday. Restaurant is reasonably busy. Stand and wait. and wait.

Check #1 - how long is it reasonable to wait at a host station before being acknowledged before you just walk out?

About 5 minutes later we are greeted and seated, waiter will be with us.

Check #2 - how long is it reasonable to wait on a waiter before walking out?

About 10 minutes later, we walked. Never did see a waiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CommieGIR posted:

There was a diesel Oldsmobile Cutlass?

Two versions even -- first the G body with the awful 5.7 V/8, then the downsized A body with the less awful 4.3 V/6

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Powershift posted:

12. contractor's company "declares bankrupcy", contractor starts new company with the same name.

Been there, done that with a roof 10 yrs ago. Fortunately I only lost 30%

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IOwnCalculus posted:

Homeowner chat: how much does it typically cost to do a preventative termite treatment / is it worthwhile? We've never done one (bought about 8 years ago) and have been a lot of the little bastards in the area recently. We got the house inspected and while they didn't find any indication that they've actually infested our house, they quoted us $600-$800 depending on the treatment we go with. Reasonable or assrape?

Yep -- that's about right, and if they're in your area it's absolutely worth it. Part of that cost is for the policy to repair any damage caused by the critters. Expect another $100/yr to retreat the house and renew the damage policy.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Adiabatic posted:

beam trolling, otter trolling, side-by-side trolling, outrigger trolling, stern trolling...

I could get behind some otter trolling :gay:

Or in front of, if need be.

I'm converting some VHS for a friend - found an episode of the Price is Right where the showcase prize was an '85 Biturbo. Of course the contestant loses, although it could be argued she won by losing.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

driguy posted:

I would love to see this.

I'll throw a clip on the Youtubes in a bit. I'll have to find the clip where Golden Road was played for a Ferrari 308. Contestant was painfully oblivious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD4OSrY2bIM

edit: Ferrari as promised. Note Barker didn't host the 80s Syndicated version (not that anyone cares).

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 11, 2015

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Wow, so I guess all non-union jobs pay like dog poo poo, huh? He almost had a heart attack when I told him how much money I wanted, even though it was still less than what I made as an apprentice... I'm gonna be poor forever aren't I?

With an attitude like yours...

:colbert:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Maserati BiTurbo showcase on the Price is Right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7yX5qMfVt0

@1:37

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Let me tell you first hand about the 2000 Ford Focus I bought new as a college graduation gift to myself. That Ford bought back in 2001 because it literally was falling apart. Literally. 13 recalls, random stalling, grenaded clutch, broken drivers seat, inop A/C and radio, leaking master cylinder, jammed seatbelt, suicidal interior trim, key eating ignition, door glass shattering when slammed POS that spent 36 business days at the dealership in the first 12 months.

I bought a used 97 Miata after that debacle.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IOwnCalculus posted:

I suspect there's probably a rule written to exclude any test-only behaviors, whether on every car as-produced or on specially built cars sent to the EPA, otherwise I'd agree with you. Especially when VW has not tried to refute this at all.

Skip-shift is an interesting comparison, but the conditions required to trigger a skip-shift are broad enough that they can be encountered during normal driving by many people. It's also very obvious when it happens, you even get an indicator light. If you could only trigger it to skip by driving in a very specific EPA-test-only manner, maybe it wouldn't have passed. It also did nothing to the mapping of the engine, it simply forced manual drivers to do 1-4 instead of 1-2.

I would love to find out more about what exactly was required to trigger this EPA mode, and what exactly it did to the car while in this mode.

Late to the party, but skip-shift is a straw-man here. Skip-shift games the gas mileage, and was deemed allowable as is the auto stop/start systems. The biggest problem for VW is they exceed the pollution standards in normal operation outside of the special test mode. Which is a really big deal, if they find the EU models have the same trick. We may just be watching VW implode.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 21, 2015

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQZOCFmRnU

Yes, yes they did

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 22, 2015

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CommieGIR posted:

Discussing is shitposting?

gently caress it. I don't know why I post in here anyways.

Victim self-identified

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Enourmo posted:

So AI computer nerds I'm looking into getting a laptop for notes and solidworks while i'm in class. Is there any reason not to get a refurbished unit off ebay?

I asked in SHSC but the signal to noise ratio seems pretty low for how slow the thread moves.

Buying anything over $100 on eBay makes me nervous these days. I've had P-P-Powerbook-esque experiences both buying and selling in the last 24 months.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

meatpimp posted:

Most of the issues were minor, at worst. Hivemind swarmed on him and it became a target of constant ridicule.

This is true in the same sense as saying someone who has cancer, a cold, gas, and a headache has mostly minor issues.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dementia talk in this thread

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Tusen Takk posted:

Any pair of thongs are a good pair of thongs imo

Yeesh, avatar + thong combo

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Root Bear posted:

My boss went on a European vacation and brought me back a souvenir:

I get the joke(I think), I'm just not sure who it'll upset first.

I have that shirt too :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

scuz posted:

Anyone have any AMC Eagle anecdotes? They've intrigued me since I was younger, and now that I can buy one like a Big Boy, I'm curious as to whether they're a nightmare to work on, or very rewarding as I suspect. This crazy motherfucker is an inspiration; popped a 6-speed manual out of an '06 Wrangler to replace the auomatic on an '83 SX/4.

Find one of the rare 88 models that were Eagle Eagle Wagons.

• Locked thread