Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CornHolio posted:

Brothers bad car ways

Ranger with a 3.0 Vulcan. Indestructible, slow, and reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MustardFacial posted:

I can only speak for myself, but not a lot of it is really worthy of an AI post unless you guys want to hear about "misc. small engine repair" or "I took all of 5 mins to replace the fuel filter on a '60 corvette" or "this is how you clean the air filter, and grease every nipple on a Komatsu backhoe"

Misc small engine repair and over priced parts incoming.

Just bought this! Runs decent, but carb could use some cleaning, but it has a Kohler K341, so it will be running for ever.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MrChips posted:

Seriously lol if you think China is in any way going to dominate the world economically or otherwise.

This whole mess with their stock market of late? It's probably only the beginning...they've been cooking their books for a long loving time.

I love people that say OMG China is taking over the US. I'm like yeah that stock market crash they just had went really well. Its a loving shell game and they are in a mad dash to keep it going.

The scary part is when it does crumble.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Frankenstein posted:

Awesome! I have a 214(K321) that I use year round. I recently rebuilt the carburetor with a rebuild kit and a throttle shaft kit. The bore for the throttle shaft was terrible egg-shaped and the throttle shaft kit includes a bushing you press into the top of the carb. I highly recommend both. I have the FSM for the 200 series, let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the tips. I paid 1000 for every thing. Blade was a front mount but he converted it to a rear mount (still have the front mount if I ever want to change it back). The blower is good, and the deck is good.

I hear these older Kohler's are like 90s Toyotas. Impossible to kill and run for ages.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

My tractor has a K321 in it too... my carb is all kinds of gunked up and corroded inside though so I ended up buying a new one. Will probably slap it on sometime next week.

Then I have to basically rewire the whole thing because it's had a number of baling-wire-and-stick-welder previous owners and none of the electrical stuff is done properly or working at all.

loving hell. I'm lucky mines been well maintained for the most part. Needs a little minor bullshit here and there but nothing major. He already did the Bendix on the starter and new motor mounts.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Definition of irony. 2 of the 3 things that's gone wrong in my LR3 have all been Ford products. Its not even the British parts!

gently caress tire pressure monitors for lyfe

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My house must be a Land Rover, it sprung a leak in the plumbing.

Wheee :toot:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
No its drain. Morons used silicon to fix a pipe....

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

DrakeriderCa posted:

I've noticed AI tends to not like Nissan 350z/370z's. Why is that?

I think they're neat :ohdear:

They don't do anything very well that so many other cars excel at. They are popular with the stance crowd lately.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
C5 vette is an absolute bargain right now. The go fast bits are cheap and they handle pretty well.

As long as your not DasVolk.

Edit: E92 335i, E46 M3, Audi S4, C5 Vette are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 7, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its your cash, but you're much better off buying a C5 than a Z car. And more than likely its been babied its entire life, in a garage under a cover.

The only thing is GM interior build quality. They did much better in a C5, but even a late 90s Camry interior build quality is light years better than GM.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

corn in the fridge posted:

no what i mean is that he doesn't seem particularly good at what he does

I'm sure you have never broke anything while fixing something :rolleyes:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I really want to see some one get hosed with the business end of a leaf rake.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
While you fuckers have been busy jerking each other off with trolling, this poo poo has been happening.

First, pig in the new smoker

Secondly, I have gas!

First welds with .030 solid wire and 25/75 mix.

I'm blowing holes in 22 gauge metal, I have my heat turned all the way down and running fairly low wire speed, I think I may try .023 wire and see if that fixes it. I figure I can practice on much smaller than normal. I am moving my gun pretty quick too, so it may need some more practice.

And I mowed the lawn.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Amidst and among the earlier nonsense, I mentioned I was looking for a 7 passenger beater vehicle.

What do I need to know about a '98 Ford Expedition 4x4 with the 5.4 V8?

I'd pass on all 5.4 powered anything Fords. I was looking at a Expedition myself, but they are absolute cunts to work on. But for what it's worth, the contractor the railroad uses to haul crews around uses expeditions, the oldest one had 606,000 (yes that's correct, 1 engine, 2 trannys - 606,000 miles). It was mostly idling and highway driving as well.

But that drat 5.4 engine is a whore when it breaks.

Per our previous discussion, the LX470 would be a good candidate too, they hold up really well. And failing that, the Suburban is always a safe bet, but make sure you get the Denali or Escalade so if has the 6.0 or the 06 Suburban did come with 6.0's in a late production run. The 5.3 isn't a bad motor, but the 6.0 is much much better and the fuel economy is pretty much the same.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My biggest beef with the trailblazer is the economy isn't much better than a full size Tahoe.

That and the garbage electric fan on the 6 banger. The Denali model had a 5.3 in them, so you cannabinoid that noise.

I'd add the Commander to your short list. I didn't care for the fit and finish on the interior though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I like the concept of the vr6 in anything other than a VAG product.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Previa_fun posted:

The lady and I took the long way through town today to go shopping and stumbled across a British car show. Several very nice Triumphs, Morgans, Minis, etc., but my favorite was probably the Lotus Esprit V8. No good pics other than the few phone snaps my girlfriend took (I was too busy poking my head into and around all the cars) but it was a good time. You couldn't have asked for better weather for a car show, either; upper 70s, sunshine, and a slight breeze.

I expect the park to be declared a superfund site after all the oil leaks. :v:

They do a nice show in town for Brit cars. Wait till you see a Sunbeam with a Ford 302 in it. Basically it's the size of a triumph with a bad rear end motor.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MustardFacial posted:

Don't you drive a Hyundai?

Even if its driving the correct wheels, its still a Hyundai.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My car is sexy as gently caress and you are all just haters driving Miatas. My warranty will outlive the entirety of your poo poo-box car.

I don't drive a Miata. My wife has a Hyundai. You and my wife can talk about your warranties and sip pumpkin spice lattes. :boom:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Adiabatic posted:

Would ya just look at all that space...
This is the best response for asking about any ex's

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Has any one ever rebuilt a steering rack before? I think I could give it a shot, it looks mostly like a clean work space, assortment of extensions and dental picks to pull seals.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

1978 JJJJJJAAAAGGGGGG XJ-S. Looking at the kit it doesn't look awful, but I am wondering if its worth paying some one else to do it. I'd just like to take a crack at it myself.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MustardFacial posted:

Take a crack at it yourself and when you gently caress it up pay someone else to do it.

I figured its already hosed, whats the worse that I am going to do?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have taken up a month of no drinking in an effort to lose some weight. Its... Going ok

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ssjonizuka posted:

I try to do either a beer/drink OR dessert (massive sweet tooth). It's a struggle. But I'm not going up at least!

This too.

I really miss breads. My wife is trying to make an effort to help eat better, and I told her I'd give up soda, beer and bread.

I can deal with no beer and soda... The bread is a bitch. I love a good baguette.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Jeep clubs or at least the ones in Iowa are a lot like what I imagine corvette clubs to be like.

Full of old dudes?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

angryhampster posted:

For the most part, the car scene in Iowa is miserable and useless. Where you located?

Midwest AI - where a 3 hour drive is considered close.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

I really gotta turbo the Audi 90. It's so anemic, but you can tell it wants to do more.

Just make sure its EPA compliant :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Waiting for the wife to get done shopping and watching trendy moms and dads trying to park their suburbans, armadas and 4 door pickups is amusing and sad.

Do you really need to be texting up a storm while you park your barge?

Also when did the Jeep Wrangler 4 door get bigger than a Land Rover Discovery?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Stop making fun of my wife!

(actually, she's the one on the road that is driving a Disco like it's a sports car......I can't convince her than an S4 is a better choice for her right foot).
LR3 at the Nürburing: http://youtu.be/Csz2S6DezNw

She's not that far off.....

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

I want to give that drive a high five. Every turn at the limit of the tires.

Gonna show that to her.

For a giant heavy top heavy pig, its actually quite impressive.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Goober Peas posted:

Late to the party, but skip-shift is a straw-man here. Skip-shift games the gas mileage, and was deemed allowable as is the auto stop/start systems. The biggest problem for VW is they exceed the pollution standards in normal operation outside of the special test mode. Which is a really big deal, if they find the EU models have the same trick. We may just be watching VW implode.

VW was hellbent on becoming the worlds biggest automaker, which they achieved. Obviously they did some pretty shady rear end dealings to get there.

But diesel has one hell of a loving hurdle to get over now. Though it would be nice to get rid of the bro mobiles that never see a trailer behind them in their life.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

Well, we've still got the upcoming Chevy Cruz turbodiesel.

....or do we?

It could still happen, depends on if GM is ready to meet the testing requirements. You know the government has been scrutinizing the poo poo out of them lately.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
This is VW thing one huge loving can of worms. I wonder if the EPA is going to be more stringent on all car makers now.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

blk posted:

Lawnmower shopping - Consumer Reports really likes Honda but all the user submitted reviews from people who have owned them 6 months + say they used to be good but are unreliable poo poo now. Anyone have experience in this area?

My family is die hard John Deere for tractors. And not the lovely buy in a big box store kind either, the 425s/318s/etc. If you ever examine an older Deere though, they are built extremely solid. I know the 318/322/332 series have 9" C-channel frames, 2 (some have 3) hydraulic spools, and other misc features that really set them apart from other mowers.

But green paint is $$$$.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
They started it in 1993 i think. it had that goofy loving spider injection. The "vortec" and tbi system soldiered on together for a few years then they all went to the "vortec" style setup, just about the time the trucks gained CFI (spider) in 1996.

There was some strange years in there and a ton of overlap in the 4.3.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

3 more weeks until I can blaze again. Counting down the hours.

Oh good. Then we can hear about you toking it up.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

SuperDucky posted:

If you were anywhere near as eloquent as 14" you could post about whatever the gently caress you liked and no one would give a poo poo.

Instead you sound like a 17 year old trying to be edgy.

This. Again and again.

Oh and we some times break out into 3 car territory. Miatas, E30s and Crown Vic's sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Genny with 100k mile warranty bro. Brings all the boys to the yard.

• Locked thread