Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

rdb posted:

Small engine repair would be interesting. I have a Kawasaki FC420 on a walk behind I haven't figured out yet. It starts great and runs OK until it warms up, and then it starts missing and knocking. Parts are stupid expensive, so far I have removed and cleaned the carb, adjusted valves, gapped the coil, wrapped up the plug wire in heat resistant electric tape, and power washed off the cooling fins. It's a little better, but still acts up.

Check/replace the ignitor. Its the thing that is connected to the coil before the kill switch. Part number should be 21119-2101. Theyre like $15 on ebay.

e: you can find the manual for it here http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kawasaki-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/

Between my stuff and customers stuff I could almost support a small engine repair thread but I didnt think that many people here would be interested since the alternative insanity thread doesnt get much action.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I went to sleep at 8PM last night and only got like 5 hours of sleep cuz of my boss' loud loving snoring. Get the hotel room to myself tonight tho so I should be able to catch some Z's.

You should get some earbuds and play music if you are sleeping near a snorer. The buds block out most of the sound.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Do it, thats a drat good price for one of those.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

scuz posted:

What's the appeal here? Co-worker has one and we car-pooled to lunch one day and it just seems cramped and weird. He talks about repair costs all the time and weird brake problems and it just seems like a headache.

Subaru nerdery, mostly.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So I finally got new tires for the 30k 97 Ram today. General Grabber AT2s because they have sweet looking treads and outlined white letters and were cheap as hell. I have a tire rack outlet near me so I order them this morning, blast over and pick them up and blast over to the place to get them put on. Im waiting all afternoon and Im stoked to get it back and wash the truck with my crispy new tires when I get home. I go to pick it up and pull up to see that they put the loving blackwalls on the outside. loving goddamn turd huffers, I told them I wanted the white letters on the outside. Now I have to go back tomorrow and get them swapped and waste more of my time. This is the same place that left half the bolts loose on my Subarus suspension when I got new bushings put in the trailing arms. So loving mad.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

Jesus man I'd drive to the next town over rather than give them more money at that point. gently caress that.

Lol pay for it. Its gonna be free and they should be paying me for the work Im missing. Im leaving my dash cam on too because I wasnt nice when I picked it up.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh man its sofa king hot today. Went through a gallon of water so far and only peed once.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Does anyone know a good online eyeglasses place? I just got a new prescription yesterday and Id like to get both sun and safety glasses in addition to the nice frames Im getting.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

piss boner posted:

Most recently used: coolframes.com

Used Melissa for a long time now, great communication, send her your frames with your requirements: theeyeglasslady.com

Also good poo poo: warbyparker.com

mafoose posted:

Never had any issues with zenni. Just make sure to look at the measurements of the frames. Some are really small.

some texas redneck posted:

optical4less.com and zennioptical.com

optical4less charges in HKD, so you'll get hit with some kind of conversion fee by your bank. Zenni has a US office they ship from in California, and a nicer website, but they're still made in China (they just get shipped to California, then shipped to you). It takes about a month for them to show up from either company.

They're not quite the most stylish frames, but for the price, I'm not bitching. I have 1 pair of sunglasses and 3 pairs of untinted glasses, and I think I spent less than $150 on all of them combined (from both companies).

If you're looking for someone that carries more modern (and, uh, not so cheaply made) stuff, check out Warby Parker. IIRC they'll ship you frames that you can try on.

Thanks guys, Ill check them all out.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Homeowner chat: how much does it typically cost to do a preventative termite treatment / is it worthwhile? We've never done one (bought about 8 years ago) and have been a lot of the little bastards in the area recently. We got the house inspected and while they didn't find any indication that they've actually infested our house, they quoted us $600-$800 depending on the treatment we go with. Reasonable or assrape?

Thats about what I paid for the initial treatment of my house in Florida from Terminex, then another $100-ish a year to keep it up.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Tempting thought, but the ground here is rock loving hard so that's a hell of a lot of labor. Did you have to drill any concrete / what did you patch it up with after drilling if you did?

Terminix did this when they did my house for the first time. They had some kind of pressure washer type wand that injected it into the, well, sand cause Florida and they drilled into my concrete porch and steps and sealed it up with something so you couldn't even tell where they drilled. It was kinda worth the initial price just for that stuff. After that they just kinda sprayed around the foundation every year without the drilling part.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

I hate hitting the point with a project where money is what holds you back.

Tomorrow is ordering a full gasket and head bolt set. After that it should run...but it still needs shifter bushings, which is a 200 dollar kit to remove all doubt that it will work in the future.

Do you live in the US? I have a brand new USRT shift linkage Id sell cheaper than new if you want it. Email me at timothy (underscore) volkswagen at the yahoo if youre interested. Ive had it forever and Im changing my Rocco to cable shift when I do the TDI swap so Im never going to use it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

I loving love you. I'll email you tomorrow when I get to work.

Right on, I just have to find it. Its in my giant parts pile and when I do Ill figure out what exact kit it is.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

Icles

Fart pipe, is your Rocco mk1 or 2? Should be the right kit as long as it's a mk2, I think.

Its an 87, 020, so it should work on yours. When I find it I'll make sure.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The NAPA that I go to is like that. Its hard to find parts for the ancient stuff I work on and they are usually able to find the part or something from another car that will fit. The 56 IH for example has a thermostat from a Honda in it and an exhaust donut from something that they matched up for me.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

Emailed you dude.

Just sexted you.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

Emailed you dude.

Ive got this one

http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_34&products_id=359

But mine has even nicer hardware than the threaded rods in that kit plus bonus sticker. It must have gotten wet at some point so you might have to shine up the hardware a little.

Ill talk prices with you in texts. Gotta see what it'll cost to ship the intake.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How over-underengineered was the stock VW setup that fully adjustable heim joints and machined rods is a simplification?

If you dont already know then you really dont want to.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I got lucky with my Rocco. It was previously owned by two engineers that fixed any little problem it had including fresh motor mounts and shift linkage right before I bought it. He even got a real leather shift boot to replace the lovely pleather one that comes stock.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hahaha oh my god, whats that off of?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Im so glad my cutoff for working on them is early 00s, gently caress that poo poo.

e: gently caress the 90s ones too but I at least know them a little.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I had this fucker in my 5.0, no mercy. It was worth it though cause look at how awesome it looks.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Buy headlamps if you can. They're wonderful.

Im sure kastein has some reccomendations for one XD

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Thank gently caress I can honestly say no to that.

... they're just threatening to seize my assets over the $180 I still owe them.

I set up a payment plan a few months ago with them. :shepicide: I don't have any assets beyond a nearly 5 year old homebuilt PC, a bed, a couch, and some clothes... bank technically still owns my car. Go uh, good luck with that I guess?

They'll clean out your bank account one day, ask me how I know!

Terrible Robot posted:

Silver Alicorn alt spotted :v:

They are pretty cute little buggers, I'll give them that.

Im glad Im not the only one here that reads the red panda thread, best thread on the forums.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

I just love that television is coming true.

I really hope they had some kind of inside source, and did it JUST to gently caress with him.

Also, cleaning up pounds of oil soaked kitty litter loving sucks. I can't wait until this god drat car is moving again. 3-4 paychecks, hopefully...

Why havent you made a thread yet? Id read it and make stupid comments every once in a while. MK2 GTIs own.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

Just be aware this is gonna be a very rat build :v:

Obviously you havent seen my thread and my Chevy :colbert:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

I bought a Husqvarna this spring, it's been great. Runs great, starts right up and mows grass.

Lawnmower man chiming in here to agree with this. I just got one two years ago for work and its an insanely great mower. It has a Honda engine but they make a great engine, starts on one pull every time and uses just a tiny amount of gas compared to my old briggs powered mower.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

the spyder posted:

My Hustler Zero turn

Nice, what kind? Ive got 4 Hustlers that In use for work, 2 260Ks (best mower ever made) and a Super Z mini (best hydraulics on earth) and the shittiest 275K that breaks constantly. Other than the 275 which is no fault of its own, its just old and beat to poo poo by its former owner I love Hustlers, theyre built like tanks.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I never use sta-bil or drain the tanks/carbs over the winter and never have carb or fuel system problems. I probably use my mowers a lot more than most of you guys though so theyre constantly getting fresh gas all summer.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

the spyder posted:

I got a great deal on a 2013 X-One. I had planned on using it quite a bit more, but we finally found a competent lawn care service for my grandmothers property. It's only got 50 hours on it since last year.

Nice, I think that one has the deck that doesnt re-cut the clippings from the left blade. I got to try one out a couple years ago and I could cut so drat fast with it and still have it look good. It had the new hyperdrive too which was amazing. It took 35 minutes off a 4 hour lawn that I do. It was also 37hp, so badass.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert:

Don't you DARE diss Interstellar like that.

:qq::qq:

Agreed, I love Interstellar so much but someone pointed out the overacting from MM and now I cant unsee it the 5 times I watched it after that :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I hope September 2015 is the last chat thread in AI. Worst decsion ever to have one. How about we post in each others project threads next month?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The Locator posted:

I have no AI projects though, it's a terrible thing, even though it is nice to be able to park the car I drive every day in the garage.

Theres always the "what did you do to your ride today" thread. Im going through mice like crazy when the scroll wheel wears out in the chat threads.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

14 INCH DICK posted:

Only if you tell me how many reports per day my posts generate

Probate anyone that reports 14 inch. With a penis that size its only out of jealousy. Its only fair.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

Hey man. Totally never had a problem with it other than the fact that it idles at 2k rpm right now.

Have you ever done the injector o rings? Best thing I ever did to mine.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

My little brother is a nuke on the Eisenhower and they just replaced the reactors and had to take it out for a test ride. They were doing hard turns at 34 knots to make sure the hull where they had to cut the holes was sound. I had no idea a ship that big could go that fast, goddamn.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I passed a semi hauling a blade for one of these things. It was the single largest object on a trailer I've ever seen. After seeing it that closely, I'm just in awe of those things now.

Yea Ive seen that and they are way huger than I thought.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Nice! I didnt know there was a video of it. I got the info from my old man after he talked to my brother on the phone. So cool that hes part of that, shoveling coal or doing huge math problems or whatever it is he does to be a part of that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

scuz posted:

Where the hell is doodie's MK2 GTI thread?

I think he said hes gonna start it tomorrow so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWdLt3Afjrg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I got a badass (for me) Dell Latitude laptop with an SSD, refurb, for $350 off amazon.

• Locked thread