Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

keykey posted:

On a side note, Fallout Shelter is finally available for android.

I played this for a little while until a Deathclaw attack followed immediately by molerats made me ragequit.

Enourmo posted:

IOC how you gonna play me like this homie, deleting my proper chat thread with no fanfare and poo poo. drat.

Next time there's multiple threads I'll just flip a coin or some poo poo to see who lives and who gets gassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

scuz posted:

YES! Ahh, poo poo, I remember this. Thanks, dude.

edit: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/street-rod/screenshots/gameShotId,518400/ <--that's the copy protection. Love it.

Gotta love the use of a color-based question to thwart photocopied game manual piracy :v:

I played Street Rod II, I could get to the King fairly reliably but could never beat him. I think I managed to get through to the Mulholland race against him once, and got pulled over.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

scuz posted:

New :siren: HOUR LONG EPISODE :siren: of Roadkill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbcyi_rGdjU

Episode delivered.

Re: Nexus 6 at $350, I'm drat happy with mine and I paid twice that about six months ago.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You will arrive at Valhalla, shiny and... goooooold?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ssjonizuka posted:

Good luck on whatever path you and your other half choose - having kids is definitely not for everyone, but I could never go back, even with how hard it is right now (the new buzzword I'm hearing is "threenager" - seems apt I guess).

It is very apt, and my kid has definitely been an easy one to keep in line.

She's also convinced that just sitting in my C10 is just about the greatest. Can't wait to actually drive her around in it at some point :3:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm all for going to the optometrist regularly (hell, I've got two in my family) but I'm done buying glasses through optometrists. My vision insurance coverage is loving laughable at how little actual coverage it gets me; a set of glasses from Zenni are cheaper than my after-insurance rate through any major chain. I spend far more on premiums than I save in the optometry visit, too.

So, AZ goons, everyone still in one piece? :shepicide:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Story behind this?

NM, found it.

What the gently caress is with AZ's obsession with forming posses?

For the uninformed, there's some jackass shooting vehicles along I10 pretty much anywhere in Phoenix west of 32nd street. Yeah, it's awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

I'm gonna laugh when it turns out to be some bored 8 year old who got a rifle for his birthday and wasn't explained the consequences of shooting at stuff.

At least a few of them have been confirmed to be BBs, so you might be more right than you realize :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The downside is that you'll have Walmart techs installing your tires, who range from "competent" to "barely alive, let alone conscious". You can have Walmart install TireRack tires too, though I think they just recently upped their install fee for this.

If you have a Discount Tire / America's Tire nearby, they're very difficult to beat on price or service.

Homeowner chat: how much does it typically cost to do a preventative termite treatment / is it worthwhile? We've never done one (bought about 8 years ago) and have been a lot of the little bastards in the area recently. We got the house inspected and while they didn't find any indication that they've actually infested our house, they quoted us $600-$800 depending on the treatment we go with. Reasonable or assrape?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mafoose posted:

Woah. I don't know how big your place is, but I think I spent around $400 when we initially bought the house, and I think it's $75/year. I think it's through terminex too.

Not all that big (~1400 sq ft), treatment is through a company our regular pest-control (which doesn't do termites, I guess?) recommended. I guess the $6xx one would cover two years, $8xx would cover five.

I'm thinking I might get a second opinion from Terminix or someone else just to have another reference point since I doubt your place is any smaller than mine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but arizona though.

This, unironically. :sigh:

leica posted:

I got some Termidor online and did it myself, you just dig a trench around your house and pour it in. I also injected it under the concrete slab of my porch. poo poo is nasty though so you have to be careful, I had some splash on to my face and it made my face numb for a few hours lol.

Tempting thought, but the ground here is rock loving hard so that's a hell of a lot of labor. Did you have to drill any concrete / what did you patch it up with after drilling if you did?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Guys, chill out. Let's not turn into a Honda/VW car forum bitchfest.

Yeah, let's keep it classy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Its like a CL ad from hell! :stare:

I'm just trying to tell the world what I've got, come on!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mafoose posted:

On that trailblazer, isn't the fix a big thermostatically controlled electric fan and then you buy an efilive/hptuners credit and disable the check for that stupid fan clutch?

This is exactly what I'd do if I had one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I watched that for entirely too long, it was mesmerizing. (Edit: even more so when it's two thumbnails playing at once)

I watched too long before I realized there wasn't some comedy ending where something comes along and wrecks it all when they're about to finish.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They've apparently got a person-of-interest in custody regarding the freeway shootings. In the meantime...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Personally if I was coming to the US and had my choice on where to go, it would be San Diego, just because the weather is pretty much perfect all year round, and the bay exists, where sailing is perfect almost every day.

I love Arizona but if I could make San Diego work without a huge headache, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

This is less bad but still pretty dumb:

Isn't the point of that to deflect air from a trailer? I mean, still dumb to have that up / installed with no trailer, but I thought they were actually beneficial with a tall trailer attached.

Rhyno posted:

There were literally homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk.
Surprisingly (to me, at least), this also describes Salt Lake City.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Right, this VW diesel thing.

As I understand it, what they've done is make it so the cars recognise the inputs that are characteristic of EPA testing (which are always identical in this kind of thing, so as to be standardised), and switch to a very low-emissions map. Sure, at the expense of power etc, but if you're driving in the manner of the testing, that wouldn't be a factor. Drive the car hard, normally, or close-but-not-quite-identical to the EPA regime, and it'll behave "normally". Any car you pulled at random off a delaership would be capable of giving this result - it'll detect that it's meeting all the conditions that indicate a test cycle, and behave accordingly.

I.... Don't actually have a problem with that, to be honest. As the man said, the race starts when the rulebook's printed, and this is the same deal as far as I can tell. They didn't present a specially modified car for the test, they didn't fudge the test results, they just took the rule of "the vehicle will be put through a cycle of this, this and this, and the results will be taken as indicative of general performance", and made sure that their cars would do really well in that circumstance. How is it philosophically different from the GM skip-shift system?

If that appeared in front of me for some reason, I think my reaction would be to mutter "oh, you cheeky bastards..." - but they did pass the test.

I suspect there's probably a rule written to exclude any test-only behaviors, whether on every car as-produced or on specially built cars sent to the EPA, otherwise I'd agree with you. Especially when VW has not tried to refute this at all.

Skip-shift is an interesting comparison, but the conditions required to trigger a skip-shift are broad enough that they can be encountered during normal driving by many people. It's also very obvious when it happens, you even get an indicator light. If you could only trigger it to skip by driving in a very specific EPA-test-only manner, maybe it wouldn't have passed. It also did nothing to the mapping of the engine, it simply forced manual drivers to do 1-4 instead of 1-2.

I would love to find out more about what exactly was required to trigger this EPA mode, and what exactly it did to the car while in this mode.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

You can bet there will be now!

The lovely thing is they'll need to make that verbiage extremely clear - a car that massively neuters itself only when specifically being tested by the EPA is bad, but you wouldn't want to also make other forms of adaptation illegal.

I guess when you have to have a standardized test, you will always have people designing for the test, and this is just the most egregious form of it yet. We've already negatively experienced it by the fact that the US largely lacks start/stop on non-hybrids because it doesn't show a benefit in the test.

trouser chili posted:

Never did I think I'd be happy to say I traded my TDI for a Honda Odyssey.

I wonder what the long-term impact to owners will be. It seems like this would be a recall you don't want, since there's going to be at least some negative. Either the car is going to perform worse (reprogramming only), or they're going to add some sort of urea injection (more expense / maintenance), or both. But yes, you probably made out pretty well not taking whatever hit TDIs might get in the used market thanks to this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Late to the party, but skip-shift is a straw-man here. Skip-shift games the gas mileage, and was deemed allowable as is the auto stop/start systems. The biggest problem for VW is they exceed the pollution standards in normal operation outside of the special test mode. Which is a really big deal, if they find the EU models have the same trick. We may just be watching VW implode.

Continuing this, Jalopnik / Consumer Reports seems to indicate that the programming kicked in as part of the same mode that lets them test on a two-wheel dyno. So unlike skip-shift, the trigger that would allow this (enable dyno mode so the car doesn't freak out seeing zeros on the rear wheel speed sensors) would never be seen in any actual driving.

That's a remarkably simple trigger, and one that the EPA can prevent from ever working again by doing all tests going forward on four-wheel dynos.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Why this instead of sta-bil? Is there a benefit?

I've had even Sta-bil treated gas go lovely in the tank of my mower, it's just not sealed well enough. Gas of the same age with the same treatment kept in a red plastic can right next to it is still fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

After an hour in the box the turtle decided to take a poo poo, hail Satan

Smoke that poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

All of you angry fuckers are setting an at least three-year record for reports / poo poo posting in AI today (and I'm too lazy to go through the ancient reports sent to our lord and savior Sigtrap, assuming ones that old still even exist). Let off some loving steam already.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Titan is one of the systems I usually work on, 200 cabinets of XK7 and uses about 9 megawatts when running.

:awesome:

My company's datacenter consumes about half that for somewhere around 4-5x as many cabinets. I wish more of our customers would even entertain density like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

El Jebus posted:

In the Coachella valley we have a couple turbines...

Of course, Palm Springs is considered ruined by the noted style winner Donald Trump

Honestly, those are one of my favorite things about the otherwise-boring-as-gently caress drive between Phoenix and LA.

bandman posted:

Koni FSDs are supposed to provide great bang for the buck if they are available for your application. I think LloydDobler has them on one of his menagerie of Volvos.

I had them on my Mazdaspeed3, liked them a lot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

scuz posted:

reddit is basically trash, but then there are subs like https://www.reddit.com/r/justrolledintotheshop that are funny.

edit:
:siren: NEW ROADKILL :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRh5KIVO3CM

Are... are those nitrous solenoids under the scoop? :stonk:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Yeah, he had an auto Boxster and would talk about poo poo that he had no idea about.

The automatic TIPTRONIC Boxster was an upgrade from a V6 fourthgen Firebird. I think it was even an early fourthgen with the utterly garbage 3.4.

There is literally no reason to own a V6 fourthgen unless you are buying it super loving cheap and using the shell and bodywork only.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hahaha, someone had too much loving time on their hands. Awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

Edit: also, freiburger is right. Flip flops are the best workin' on car shoe.

Indeed they are, especially when it's hot as balls out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

I bought these. I know people say that the bus needs "C"-rated 8-ply tires, but the only ones I can find that fit are trailer tires with lovely tread patterns. I already have 205/75-14 car tires on there, and these are a real, non-chinesium brand, and whitewalls.

I ran that exact tire in a 215/75R14 on my Ranger for the last year I had it. They were perfectly fine, though I ran mine whitewall-in.

• Locked thread