Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Who the gently caress cares? Start off the chat thread on the right key. Congrats to our one-balled wonder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Sigma X posted:

My memory may be betraying me, but: At some point there was a video posted in here of goons (maybe, AI goons?) riding around in some guy's truck in the backwoods on a gravel/dirt road. The camera is grainy, bouncing all around, too many people are stuffed into this thing, and the driver loses control. Shortly before impact, one of the passengers screeches "TREEEEEEEEEE"", and then BOOM.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It was a GBS thread as I recall... let me check..

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I just think of it like this:

You can always make things more idiot proof, but they will just build a better idiot.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I really don't want to start a trigger discussion in the Android thread on IYG, so I'll ask here instead...

What's the go-to mSD card these days? the 32gb SanDisk in my current phone has been good, but I want more space for new phone.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Sandisk is my go-to for any flash storage. Flash drives, SD, microSD, etc.

I have a class 4 32gb SanDisk in my dashcam (due to reading reports of anything higher than class 4 having issues with this cheap dashcam), and a class 10 16gb SanDisk in my DSLR. Zero complaints with anything from them, and the one in the DSLR is fast enough to keep up with me shooting several 16MP photos in RAW back to back. If I shoot in JPEG I can just hold the shutter button until the card fills up (or the camera battery dies, since the card holds several thousand photos in JPG mode).

That's what I have in my s4, and it's been pretty solid, but I got impatient last night and ordered a samsung 128 before leaving work for the day. I even paid a few bucks extra to get it from amazon as opposed to another seller, so if I have issues, meh.

Thanks man.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I could really go for a 240/260z with a 4.3 v6 and turbo right about now....

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Wick was passable. The constant cgi was really distracting to me and the plot was a bit generic (oh noes! Pissed off assassin kills everyone!), still worth a watch though.

My eldest turned three today. Wtf.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

I didn't want to say this to her but, I don't really see an upside to it. Having a kid shuts a lot of doors for you, it takes all of your spare cash, and there's also the fact that if you gently caress this up you end up raising the kid to be a lovely person.

I can barely take care of myself. How well am I going to be able to take care of a kid?

A lot of this is perspective. I'm not trying to say you're looking at it wrong, but consider the flip side of the coin...

Having kids opens a lot of other doors to experiences you would never imagine otherwise. It's only money, you'll spend it somewhere anyways, and well, sometimes it's not even up to you whether the kid will be hosed up or not. *shrug*

Good luck on whatever path you and your other half choose - having kids is definitely not for everyone, but I could never go back, even with how hard it is right now (the new buzzword I'm hearing is "threenager" - seems apt I guess).

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I know AI gets a bit derailed on these discussions, so I'll stop after this.

MustardFacial posted:

It probably is just perspective. I guess the reason why I say I don't see an upside is because I don't know what the upside would be? What doors does having a kid have, that not having one doesn't? A friend of mine had a kid a couple years ago and a couple weeks after he was born I asked his wife what's it like to be a mother. She looked at me with all seriousness and said "I feel like I was lied to."

I told her I would. I do kinda still want to, like it seems like I'd be missing an opportunity that I'd later regret if I didn't. But at the same time, now that the event has come up all I can think of is the bad sides.

Honestly, it's not the money I worry about, not really anyways. Yeah, having a kid may mean that I'll never get my bike license/a bike and go adventure riding with some of my friends, and yeah it may mean I'll never get a project car because I'll never be able to afford it. But none of that really matters that much in the grand scheme of things.

I'm mostly worried about loving it up. I didn't have the best childhood growing up, and I don't want to give that to my kids. However I don't want to go so far down the other end that they grow up being useless people who don't know how to use a can opener or boil water.

I don't know, maybe I'm spinning this poo poo inside my head too much. Maybe I just need to do it and shut the gently caress up.

It's hard not to overreach on some statements, so I'm trying not to. Again, it's going to be about what you're looking for and expecting. For me, it's the love and watching them grow up - the affects it's had on me are profound. A 3 year old and 11 month old. It's crazy, it's busy, it's overwhelming, but more than anything, it's amazing. Your friend? I totally get that. When they are <6mos, all they are is eating, making GBS threads and occasionally sleeping machines. Once they get interactive and cognizant of the real world, then the REAL fun starts, if you ask me.

Without some of the tangibles immediately evident, it's hard to see some of the upsides. Fear is a good thing too, it means it's a decision you care about. Be honest with yourself and take your time to figure out what matters the most to you and your family, kids or not. And don't do it because family/other people/society think you should. If you are lucky enough to make the choice, make it your choice (not everyone does).

All of this will drive you as a father,[edit for clarification:] if you choose that path.

Galler posted:

*I know a lot of people say having kids is the best thing that ever happened to them and that it's different when they are your own and :words: but I also have friends that, in private, admit that having kids was a bad move, they don't like being a parent or even really like their kids, and that they regret the whole thing. They never have any time for themselves anymore and feel stuck in a crappy job they hate because they can't take the risk of going to a new one or afford to move across country.

You've said a lot of what I have, and probably better in some ways. But this part in particular is something I want to point out too. This is something I have struggled with to some degree as well, however, I knew about it going into it. In some of the above cases, I would imagine these people didn't set the right level of expectations for themselves.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 8, 2015

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Hilarious.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have taken up a month of no drinking in an effort to lose some weight. Its... Going ok

I try to do either a beer/drink OR dessert (massive sweet tooth). It's a struggle. But I'm not going up at least!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

Just as a sort of feeler. My wife is maybe getting a fellowship at an american hospital for two years starting in august next year. anyone have any idea what i would do for employment in the states? and does anyone have any for where to live when she will be working in maryland/baltimore?

Jesus man, talk about upheaval.

Maryland? I'm sorry. :v: I'm guessing Hopkins, because that would be awesome, IMO.

I'm not as familiar with that end of the state, but really, stay as far away from Baltimore as you can, and it shouldn't be quite so bad. Can't really help on the job front, as I suspect you'd have to get licensed to do some of the same type of consulting that you just ramped up and that's likely to be a really big hassle and dealing with the differences between code standards, etc. would be maddening, but not impossible.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Traffic around Baltimore/Washington is the worst in the nation. I hear that Baltimore in general is not a great place. The race riots you may have been hearing about are occurring there. I've never lived there personally, but plenty of people I know have, and boy do they complain.

I mean, I know, tv is not reality, but there's reasons somethings are written/developed in such themes. Having said that...Have you watched The Wire? You should watch The Wire.

fjelltorsk posted:

Is hopkins and shock trauma the same thing?
:words:

What Mariooncrack said.

For the rest, I totally understand and agree with what you're looking to accomplish. We've made similar sacrifices re: family and work stuff for my wife, whom just recently got her Pedi-NP. As for ending up somewhere near AI goons, that's just about anywhere. We infest various areas. Hell, I'd say come up north to VT, because it's gorgeous, but we don't have that much in the way of that type of trauma either.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

so bored at work, is there an ai irc channel?

Synirc. There's an #ai and #newenglandai

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Phone posted:

There are plenty of problems with testing methodologies and whatnot; however, being able to control for as many variables is important when doing A/B testing. It's not perfect or will 100% reflect "real world" uses, but a part of any decent testing regiment is to find deficiencies in the testing procedures and work to fix them.

what do you think this is? ISO9000?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

BloodBag posted:

It's my birthday! :toot: Wifey came through with Fury Road and a Deutschland cycling jersey. Also, someone's getting laid tonight :gizz:. 34 seems like I'm getting up into the 'respectable' age.

You're still a child. :colbert:

(I just hit 35 end of July)

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

mafoose posted:

All these alcoholic root beers I've tried all taste too sweet at first, and have a nasty aftertaste.

I gave away three bottles of the not your fathers. All I taste is vanilla extract..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

keykey posted:

I've been eyeing Audi a3 tdi wagons recently and so far I've seen a 3k drop. I'm waiting for it to hit rock bottom and level off. :)

Just be careful of locale and what the "fix" is going to be. California (I think) has already declared you won't be able to register one until the fix is installed on said vehicles

• Locked thread