Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Welcome to the Command and Conquer megathread.

What is Command and Conquer?
The Command and Conquer Series started as a Real Time Strategy Game series created by Westwood Studios (pretty much gone now), the series continued program and strategywise from Westwood's Dune 2, and would continue to serve as their flagship series for quite a while until C&C 3 started it plummeting to the ground, and C&C 4 set fire to the remains, and exploded it.

C&C was started by Westwood Studios then bought out by EA games. If you want to buy the games nowdays you have to go though Origin (which I did and I don't suggest you do), because they will install more crap on your computer.

Welcome back Commander.

Regular game done by Spookydonut :10bux: REQUIRES ARCHIVES! :10bux:
No one has done the expansions yet.

No one has done this yet.

No one has done this yet.

I am currently working on it here.

Done by ArchWizard and in the LP Archive

Regular game done by Soviet Potatoe :10bux: REQUIRES ARCHIVES! :10bux:
No one has done the expansion yet.

The basic game is done by me.
Expansion also done at same place.

Yup, It's still poo poo.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
For those of you wondering, I bought it from origin for two reasons (it was cheap), and I intend to LP all of them that other people aren't doing or plan to do as time and effort allows.

If you have any information or corrections you want me to add, you can PM me or post it here and I will add it here.

ColoradoCleric posted:

Be sure to add Renegade X to the op, it's free and a remake of the original renegade done in the unreal engine: http://renegade-x.com/

twistedmentat posted:

For those not afraid of Origin, they're giving away Red Alert 2 with Yuri's Revenge away for free.

Mordja posted:

What with Red Alert 2 being free I'd suggest folks check out the Mental Omega mod.

Maybe OpenRA should be mentioned in the OP?

I will clean this up once I'm not phone posting anymore.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 16, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Reserved

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I love Red Alert.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Be sure to add Renegade X to the op, it's free and a remake of the original renegade done in the unreal engine: http://renegade-x.com/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
For those not afraid of Origin, they're giving away Red Alert 2 with Yuri's Revenge away for free.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Red Alert and Red Alert 2 were really cool and good IMO.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Axetrain posted:

Red Alert and Red Alert 2 were really cool and good IMO.

I loved the red alert expansion packs. The missions and the new units added alot of fun. And playing against the computer was also fun because they would do things like send demo trucks against you.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I broke my computer by building way too many aircraft carriers in RA2 and when all the aircraft launched, it couldn't handle them all so it blue screened to a point where I had to completely reformat and reinstall windows.

My favorite thing in RA2 though was the fact that the Russian blimps have really good resistance to Yuri's mingun turrets, so you basically could send 5 of them into his bases and they couldn't be hurt.

Red Alert 3, I could never get past one of the early russian missions, more because I just got bored with the game. It removed a lot of fun of base building by forcing you to place certain buildings in certain places.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I love this dead, dead franchise. For some reason I kind of liked Tiberium Sun more than RA2 though. Something about the smaller, cleaner sprites and moody atmosphere. Zero Hour is my favourite in the series though.

Couple of things:

What with Red Alert 2 being free I'd suggest folks check out the Mental Omega mod. It's a giant, semi-sequel with tons of new units, subfactions, gameplay/balance changes, balls-hard singleplayer campaigns for all three factions and even a suite of co-op missions. The next release will also debut a completely new side as well.

Maybe OpenRA should be mentioned in the OP? While it started as just a Red Alert remake now it covers the original C&C and Dune2000 (TS and RA2 in the works) and is probably the easiest way to run those games in modern operating systems. Apparently it does change the balance some but lol if I care about that poo poo.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I'm not sure if I can promote that since technical ly the games are still being sold so I think that would fall under the "don't tell people where to get it illegally" rules. I would need a mod to rule on it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Actually, EA released RA1 and C&C1 as freeware about five years ago or so. It's why that project even exists.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Actually, EA released RA1 and C&C1 as freeware about five years ago or so. It's why that project even exists.

Oh, OK. I'll add those to the OP.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Renegade X: Multiplayer (Open Beta 5)

SHA1 Checksum: (Download Utility)

Constructive Tyranny
http://constructivetyranny.com 13606

That's a lot of players what

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I have good news and bad news.
Good News: I have my laptop back.
Bad News: due to a mix up and the repair technicians not able to keep accounts of "what exactly needs to be done" my computer was completely wiped which means I have to download 30+ gigs of stuff.

I will try to get the C&C 3 LP back on track next week.
The computer is still unusable because the original problem was never fixed. :negative:

Edit2: There's a virus in the USB Firmware and I think my computer is hosed.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 20, 2015

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I miss new C&C games. :(

Mordja posted:

I love this dead, dead franchise. For some reason I kind of liked Tiberium Sun more than RA2 though. Something about the smaller, cleaner sprites and moody atmosphere. Zero Hour is my favourite in the series though.
Yeah, I like RA2 and so did my friends but I loved the atmosphere and setting of TS the most. I wished that EA would make a second Battlefield 2142 but instead of climate change and stuff just go ahead and do C&C: Battlefield. Sure they had that Tiberium game but it looked a bit 'eh' as a shooter and it was based around C&C3 designs which just wasn't moody enough.

Mordja posted:

Maybe OpenRA should be mentioned in the OP? While it started as just a Red Alert remake now it covers the original C&C and Dune2000 (TS and RA2 in the works) and is probably the easiest way to run those games in modern operating systems. Apparently it does change the balance some but lol if I care about that poo poo.

OpenRA is cool and fun.

Also, braggingzone:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd like a Red Alert 4, staying true to the ultra-cheesy tone. Not sure how they'd do it though. Maybe have Yuri show up again? I'd like to see a Yuri vs. Yuriko Match of the Century-style thing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

drunkill posted:

Also, braggingzone:

Now I'm gonna have to pull out my Tiberian Sun manual that I got Michael Biehn to sign :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

I'd like a Red Alert 4, staying true to the ultra-cheesy tone. Not sure how they'd do it though. Maybe have Yuri show up again? I'd like to see a Yuri vs. Yuriko Match of the Century-style thing.

Go back in time and stop Einstein from developing the Chronosphere and or time travel but also Stalin and the Japanese Emperor as well! Maybe stop the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. Red Alert 4: trench warfare

Just keep going back in time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 27, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Update: it was Windows update throwing a bitch fit and not a virus. Makes me wonder if it was the Windows 10 update thing that murdered my OS in the first place. Unfortunately due to work I won't be able to update the LP in progress for at least another week, but I will re-open it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxsUGr6X88k

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So what nation is the Lieutenant representing in RA2? She's clearly Navy since she always wears white, yet her insignia represents the UK Royal Navy and not the USN. Also she has 3 bars, so she's a Commander too :v:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

I can honestly say I didn't like the ultra-cheese of RA3, but the mostly cheesy tone of RA2 was pretty much perfect. Before Yuri's, that is. When things get too cheesy I stop caring about consequences in the game proper.

Speaking of RA2, what am I supposed to be doing to get this to not run like complete rear end?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Speaking of RA2, what am I supposed to be doing to get this to not run like complete rear end?

Edit ra2.ini, change VideoBackBuffer to "no".

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Red Alert 3 turns 7 today.

I just opened up my steelbook case of the Premier Edition to see what was inside (since I haven't opened it in 7 years) A4 sized poster of the girls of RA3, bear mount/pet code for Warhammer online, invite to C&C Arena (never happened) and a code for special maps and skins.

Edit: CNCNZ turns 18 yesterday.today too: http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/19589-cncnzcom-celebrates-18-years-online/

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Since I'm gonna be trying to grind though C&C3 at the rate of one mission a day (when I can), I want to take a vote on the next game I should do. You are limited to games that I can record so...
Your choices are:
  • RA3
  • C&C3 expansion
  • C&C4
  • Generals
If anyone can give me some pointers for recording RA2, RA, C&C1, or Tiberian sun, it would be appreciated and I can add those to the list of games that I will be able to LP.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Fantastic series, especially Tiberian Sun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd play RA2 more but if I make the resolution modern, it shits the bed, so I'm stuck at the lowest setting.

You know, I really loved the second C&C game. I feel like Tiberium Dawn doesn't get enough attention, but its got a lot of weird stuff in it that makes the world really interesting. Like the battles surrounding the crashed UFO and such.

This is a more general question, but do you think RTS games will ever be a major genre again? Starcraft is still fairly popular, but over all no ones really producing big ones anymore. There's what, Company of heroes 2 most recently, and that's about it from ones from major studios?

Thing is with modern systems you could make RTS games that are a lot more interesting than before. I'm surprised starcraft is literally still just each unit just wacking at each other until one goes splat. More interesting interactions and animation would be something they could do.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
My true RTS love is C&C Generals.

Someone needs to make a C&C Generals mod for CoH, with jets and all. I loved the air combat in Generals.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

twistedmentat posted:

Thing is with modern systems you could make RTS games that are a lot more interesting than before. I'm surprised starcraft is literally still just each unit just wacking at each other until one goes splat. More interesting interactions and animation would be something they could do.

It wouldn't be a prestigious E-sport otherwise!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

twistedmentat posted:

This is a more general question, but do you think RTS games will ever be a major genre again?

No, because when even the classic C&C guys release one no one buys them anymore. It was a genre of its time, much like collectathon 3D platformers. Someone will try to revive them for nostalgia every few years, but no big company will ever produce them again -- even Blizzard's unlikely to keep it up now that SC2 is "finished". Shame, but that's how those things go.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

twistedmentat posted:

I'd play RA2 more but if I make the resolution modern, it shits the bed, so I'm stuck at the lowest setting.

You know, I really loved the second C&C game. I feel like Tiberium Dawn doesn't get enough attention, but its got a lot of weird stuff in it that makes the world really interesting. Like the battles surrounding the crashed UFO and such.

This is a more general question, but do you think RTS games will ever be a major genre again? Starcraft is still fairly popular, but over all no ones really producing big ones anymore. There's what, Company of heroes 2 most recently, and that's about it from ones from major studios?

Doubtful. Starcraft 2 hasn't been the success Blizzard thought it was going to be and I don't imagine it'll be lasting too long now that LotV is out beyond the diehard E-Sport types. Like sci-fi flight sims, RTS games are going to be basically extinct with bits of their gameplay maybe re-purposed into other genres.

I mean, let's be fair, what was the last great RTS? Warcraft 3: TFT?

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

twistedmentat posted:

To be fair, most genres only have 3-4 major series going at a time. With RTS games you had what, C&C (got run into the ground by EA), Starcraft (got run into the ground by Blizzard) and Warcraft (morphed into WoW). If tomorrow the developers of Call of Duty, Battlefield and Halo ran their series into the ground there wouldn't be much in the way of major FPS releases either, but that alone doesn't mean the genre is dead I think. The only big problem I do see for RTS games is they will never be able to attain the kind of mass appeal we see from mainstream cover shooters because the controls don't translate well to console controllers.

There are still plenty of decent RTS games getting released, its just that the lack of marketing means you have to look a bit harder to find them.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.
I always enjoyed World in Conflict :ohdear:

The original C&C is my jam. I would play the rear end end out of a reboot based on the same missions, story, units..

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Starcraft 2 is good enough but what the gently caress is up with that field of view. Let me zoom out to an overview already, I'm sure my poor computer can handle it. My mouse even has this handy wheel which could function as the zoom back and forth control.

Planetary Annihilation is the closest thing to real innovation that's come along (and seems to be doing well enough), but the TA games have always suffered from robots having zero personality and the different factions being basically like different coloured plastic army men.
It was a shame that Human Resources kickstarter failed, it looked really interesting.

I don't think there was ever an RTS that got it all perfect for me. The factions need to be asymmetric and visually/functionally distinct. The interface needs to be fairly simple in terms of construction/unit control but robust and intuitive enough to make navigating the entire battlefield extremely rapid (Endless Legend is turn-based, but does this absolutely brilliantly).
And for fucks sake, let me zoom out. Old-timey RTS minimaps can gently caress right off.

In summary I still think the market is still there but we want innovation, not the same grey goo in a different box.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

Install Ares, that should do it. Make sure your game's patched to the latest, though.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

v1nce posted:

I always enjoyed World in Conflict :ohdear:

The original C&C is my jam. I would play the rear end end out of a reboot based on the same missions, story, units..

WiC was a great game and when they announced C&C4 as being an online game with players taking up various playstyles like support or defense etc I though it'd be like WiC where you call in units and only command a few. Oh how i was wrong...

Tiberian Sun is probably my favourite C&C game in terms of atmosphere and setting. Red Alert 1 and 2 are great and fun but TS had the sci-fi dystopian future going on, oozing with moody-moments. Then C&C3 came along and made the 'red zone' just a green tinged place, got rid of all the mutations and colour from the world that was in TS and Firestorm and blue zones were just modern day earth, blue skies etc. Instead of humanity moving to the top and bottom of the world as the middle became uninhabitable, left bare for Nod and the mutants while GDI moved the remains of humanity to the arctic and antarctic circles to survive.

3 was fun to play but it felt bland, after the worldbuilding (and better unit designs) of TS.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

drunkill posted:

Tiberian Sun is probably my favourite C&C game in terms of atmosphere and setting.

:agreed:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

drunkill posted:

Tiberian Sun is probably my favourite C&C game in terms of atmosphere and setting. Red Alert 1 and 2 are great and fun but TS had the sci-fi dystopian future going on, oozing with moody-moments. Then C&C3 came along and made the 'red zone' just a green tinged place, got rid of all the mutations and colour from the world that was in TS and Firestorm and blue zones were just modern day earth, blue skies etc. Instead of humanity moving to the top and bottom of the world as the middle became uninhabitable, left bare for Nod and the mutants while GDI moved the remains of humanity to the arctic and antarctic circles to survive.
I totally agree and I was really surprised how people were telling how atmospheric C&C3 was. Music was great part of atmosphere as well.
Same with first two Fallouts. People tell how atmospheric new ones are when I don't see it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i really liked RA2 and RA3

• Locked thread