Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Milky Moor posted:

I mean, let's be fair, what was the last great RTS? Warcraft 3: TFT?

I really enjoyed Age of Empires III...

Also, if anyone is looking for a great C&C-like RTS, I thought Act of War was an awesome and criminally underrated game. It had the cheesy FMV scenes, snipers, helicopters, the ability to fire off nukes, and funny quips from the various units. I loved every minute of that game.

It has a sequel in the works titled Act of Aggression that was announced at E3 and almost makes me want to build a new gaming PC just to play it instead of my old laptop here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

I really enjoyed Age of Empires III...

Also, if anyone is looking for a great C&C-like RTS, I thought Act of War was an awesome and criminally underrated game. It had the cheesy FMV scenes, snipers, helicopters, the ability to fire off nukes, and funny quips from the various units. I loved every minute of that game.

It has a sequel in the works titled Act of Aggression that was announced at E3 and almost makes me want to build a new gaming PC just to play it instead of my old laptop here.

Not to mention Act of War had a high tech military capturing oil wells to raise money.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i thought act of aggression was already released and somewhat disappointing

is this just a thing i heard

didn't it have a thread on this forum?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

SovietPotatoe posted:

To be fair, most genres only have 3-4 major series going at a time. With RTS games you had what, C&C (got run into the ground by EA), Starcraft (got run into the ground by Blizzard) and Warcraft (morphed into WoW).

AoE (run into the ground by MS) was the other big 90s RTS franchise, I think. And then in the mid 00s when all those franchises were falling apart at the seams CoH/DoW took over for a bit. I don't even know what happened to that one.

Milky Moor posted:

sci-fi flight sims

I'm actually hoping/thinking these will be having a revival soon. We've got a new Star Wars movie out, which means there's going to be a whole lot of twelve year olds wandering around super hyped to blow things up in an X-Wing, and if Disney are smart they'll be looking into reviving the Tie Fighter/Rogue Squadron licenses they now old. Plus, space games are apparently a lot cheaper to make- if your game is just a bunch of metal-textured boxes floating around in a skybox shooting particle effects at each other then you don't need to spend nearly as much on art assets. With AAA budgets going through the roof that has to look appealing to publishers.

(If Disney is really smart they'll commission Platinum to make some kind of LIGHTSABER REVENGEANCE game and then I will never play anything else ever again.)

Milky Moor posted:

I mean, let's be fair, what was the last great RTS? Warcraft 3: TFT?

I'd probably go with SupCom. Definitely the last time I was ever hyped for an RTS release.

ninjewtsu posted:

Yes, it's been out for months and seems to be universally reviled. :(

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Everyone who loved Tiberian Sun should check out the Twisted Insurrection stand-alone mod. Really captures and even enhances the moodiness of the original, and the rebalances open up tactics to more than just "build 20 Titans and attack move"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Everyone who loved Tiberian Sun should check out the Twisted Insurrection stand-alone mod. Really captures and even enhances the moodiness of the original, and the rebalances open up tactics to more than just "build 20 Titans and attack move"

It's also got full campaigns I've never played.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

ninjewtsu posted:

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yes, it's been out for months and seems to be universally reviled. :(

That's really a shame. The videos I've watched of it make it look cool. All they had to do was make another silly, but fun campaign like Direct Action or High Treason had and maybe throw a few new units in. :sigh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

drunkill posted:

Tiberian Sun is probably my favourite C&C game in terms of atmosphere and setting. Red Alert 1 and 2 are great and fun but TS had the sci-fi dystopian future going on, oozing with moody-moments. Then C&C3 came along and made the 'red zone' just a green tinged place, got rid of all the mutations and colour from the world that was in TS and Firestorm and blue zones were just modern day earth, blue skies etc. Instead of humanity moving to the top and bottom of the world as the middle became uninhabitable, left bare for Nod and the mutants while GDI moved the remains of humanity to the arctic and antarctic circles to survive.

:hfive:

One thing I missed from TS was that Tiberium was dangerous. If you weren't paying attention, it could overrun your base or at least make it a pain in the rear end. Especially the vine things in the Firestorm expansion.

Though I hear it can be like this in C&C3 if you mess with ini settings, but they had to tune it to the current boring levels because it was way too aggressive and ruined everything.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Act of Aggression isn't terrible, it's just not nearly as good as it should have been.

Like the Act of War games are basically modern CnC games, which works great. Tons of goofy FMV, tons of goofy FMV plot twists, tons of really silly realpolitik scenarios, pretty liberal focus on infantry ( but tank/air stacks are just fine too ), etc etc.

Act of Aggression removes the FMV bits, and goes for a slightly more serious tone. This means everything is deadpan, which doesn't do it any justice at all, and makes it really hard to care about the campaign. They took a scenario as insane as "Southern Cali annexed Mexico and declared itself a new Republic, a Civil War grips the USA!" and made it an almost by the numbers thing.

They also cut back heavily on the actual size of the campaign. Average CnC game is a 15-20 hour campaign. Both Act of War games are 15-20ish hours. A solid RTS campaign in my mind has a good 15+ missions to wander through, not counting the tutorials. Act of Aggression has 15 levels. And 5 of those levels are repeats of the initial 10, just played from the perspective of the bad guys. It makes the whole thing feel like it was rushed together, and the real focus was multiplayer. Which I mean I don't doubt it is, they stopped making campaigns for their Wargame series, and it seems like they just made this one because it was a spiritual successor to the Act of War series, but ehhhhhhh.

It's not all bad though. The combat/units/basebuilding/army building is all fun. Every level comes with 4-5 challenges that are actually challenging, and fun to complete. It's also the closest I can find gameplaywise to the old CnC games when it comes to multiplayer, even though it's steadily losing population back to Wargame/Starcraft.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Saoshyant posted:

No, because when even the classic C&C guys release one no one buys them anymore. It was a genre of its time, much like collectathon 3D platformers. Someone will try to revive them for nostalgia every few years, but no big company will ever produce them again -- even Blizzard's unlikely to keep it up now that SC2 is "finished". Shame, but that's how those things go.

Grey Goo failed because the game is called Grey Goo.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Grey Poo failed because the game is called Grey Poo.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
:aaaaa: Mental Omega is still being developed?! I lost soooooooooo many hours to that mod.

I'm really bummed by the end of the RTS age. RTS has always been my favorite genre (that I was universally terrible at :v:). C&C, Dawn of War, SupCom... Now I'm sad :(

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
For C&C3 (I suppose the expansion too), which patch do I want to stop at and still have the single player be beatable while eliminating a good number of bugs? I seem to recall the most recent patch making some missions impossible.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Command and Conquer 4 is loving terrible with zero redeeming qualities

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

It's also only kinda ok and doesn't have the traditional base building that I think most people like. It's all this annoying interconnected hub nonsense. It also has unit caps, this is always a bad thing in an rts :colbert:.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Pretty much. My brain took one look at it and filed it under "Perimeter but boring".

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I watched a few videos of Grey Goo but it looked kinda dull and uninteresting to me. Basebuilding didn't look fun and the combat was really underwhelming.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Pretty much. My brain took one look at it and filed it under "Perimeter but boring".

Was Perimeter actually any good? I remember getting that when I was waaaaay too young for a game that trippy, and basically never got past the initial stages. It didn't feel like anything special, but people refer to it fondly. Curious if I just didn't "get it" at the time.

e: Same with Maelstrom Battle for Earth now that Steam brought that up to me again. I thought it was pretty reviled at release, but the Steam forums are pretty positive about it. I remember seeing it before it came out, and being pretty interested in it, but I never actually played it. I have a soft spot in my heart for janky Russian games though, so I may be biased by thinking these games look good.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 26, 2015

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

For C&C3 (I suppose the expansion too), which patch do I want to stop at and still have the single player be beatable while eliminating a good number of bugs? I seem to recall the most recent patch making some missions impossible.

Specifically the most recent patch (which I believe the expansion auto-applies) breaks a segment in a GDI mission where you have to turn turrets on and off on different sides of your base to fight off attack waves. The patch increases the power requirements of GDI defences, making the mission much harder. It can still be done though, there are videos on Youtube of ways to complete the mission.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

Specifically the most recent patch (which I believe the expansion auto-applies) breaks a segment in a GDI mission where you have to turn turrets on and off on different sides of your base to fight off attack waves. The patch increases the power requirements of GDI defences, making the mission much harder. It can still be done though, there are videos on Youtube of ways to complete the mission.

I hate that mission. Mostly because of the lack of an "auto repair buildings" button.
:argh: it's been 20 years since the first C&C and there still isn't one!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Was Perimeter actually any good? I remember getting that when I was waaaaay too young for a game that trippy, and basically never got past the initial stages. It didn't feel like anything special, but people refer to it fondly. Curious if I just didn't "get it" at the time.

I'm probably the worst person to ask this of, at least if you want to know how it stacks up in skirmish/MP.

By complete coincidence I decided to sit down yesterday and replay it, and I'm really enjoying it so far (on mission 11 of 26). Level design is pretty varied, I haven't had two that've played the same yet, though it leans a little towards puzzle maps- there're usually very few valid ways to expand, at least quickly, and on most maps you're under so much time pressure that you don't really have the luxury of exploring other options. It's sort of weird, actually- on the one hand the game is a turtler's wet-dream- both you and the AI will routinely be building these enormous, map-spanning industrial complexes with gun emplacements on every flat surface, and the unit cap is so low it seems like you'd never be able to pull together an army powerful enough to break through that (and that's before we get to the eponymous Perimeter)- but on the other hand, I can't remember the last time I've played an RTS that's forced me to play this aggressively. You need to be always pushing your base out, forwards, right up to the other guy's base- into the other guy's base, so you can start playing pylon-othello-knife-fights. Pylon-othello-knife-fights where if you lose concentration for half a second you'll find the AI's stolen half your base out from under you.

And of course the plot is like nothing else.

It's £4 on GOG so check it out maybe?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I'd play RA2 more but if I make the resolution modern, it shits the bed, so I'm stuck at the lowest setting.

This works flawlessly for me
http://blog.obelisk.ro/2010/09/resolution-fix-for-red-alert-2-yuris.html

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chadzok posted:

Starcraft 2 is good enough but what the gently caress is up with that field of view. Let me zoom out to an overview already, I'm sure my poor computer can handle it. My mouse even has this handy wheel which could function as the zoom back and forth control.

Planetary Annihilation is the closest thing to real innovation that's come along (and seems to be doing well enough), but the TA games have always suffered from robots having zero personality and the different factions being basically like different coloured plastic army men.
It was a shame that Human Resources kickstarter failed, it looked really interesting.

I don't think there was ever an RTS that got it all perfect for me. The factions need to be asymmetric and visually/functionally distinct. The interface needs to be fairly simple in terms of construction/unit control but robust and intuitive enough to make navigating the entire battlefield extremely rapid (Endless Legend is turn-based, but does this absolutely brilliantly).
And for fucks sake, let me zoom out. Old-timey RTS minimaps can gently caress right off.

In summary I still think the market is still there but we want innovation, not the same grey goo in a different box.

Yeah, one of the biggest problems of the genre (and I'm sure it's not strictly limited to RTS either) is that it rarely felt like developers would incorporate innovations from other games. It doesn't help at all that part of the playerbase has come to look at clunky inefficient interfaces as a feature; I'm sure there's any number of Starcraft 2 players who would hotly argue that the limited field of view is actually good because it forces you to divide your attention or something like that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The new Homeworld is going to save the genre I'm sure of it this time, you guys.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
I'm stuck visiting family for the holidays on my linux only laptop for the next 2-3 weeks, reading this thread makes me want to try Twisted Insurrection and get my CnC fix, but I don’t know any good RTS games that are freely available for linux.
I really miss Tiberian Sun. :(

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dotcom656 posted:

I'm stuck visiting family for the holidays on my linux only laptop for the next 2-3 weeks, reading this thread makes me want to try Twisted Insurrection and get my CnC fix, but I don’t know any good RTS games that are freely available for linux.
I really miss Tiberian Sun. :(

OpenRA
0AD
OpenXcom
Warzone 2100
Widelands
Dwarf Fortress

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

Michaellaneous posted:

OpenRA
0AD
OpenXcom
Warzone 2100
Widelands
Dwarf Fortress

I've never tried 0AD, or Widelands. I'll give them a try. Warzone 2100 was fun, and entirely fell off my radar, so I'm downloading that right now.
Thanks!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dotcom656 posted:

I've never tried 0AD, or Widelands. I'll give them a try. Warzone 2100 was fun, and entirely fell off my radar, so I'm downloading that right now.
Thanks!

0AD is basically a pimp AoE.
Widelands is Settlers.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
C&C3 is done, vote for the next game.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

C&C3 is done, vote for the next game.

Nothing? after more than a week?
Ok then, I'm just gonna start another thread for another game on Monday.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What are we voting for exactly

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I just want an HBO/Starz show about Kane's/Nod's quest for world domination. The games aged really terribly outside of the videos.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

What are we voting for exactly

The next game or expansion for me to LP.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mate, no offense, but I don't think anyone cares much about game you are going to LP, C&C or otherwise -- there's just too many LPers out there for one thing. People come to this thread to discuss the series and even then I imagine most people already said and read all that there was to say about it, sadly.

GaussianCopula posted:

The games aged really terribly outside of the videos.

I imagine you are talking about the first games, 'cause RA2 and 3 are still great. I played C&C3 for the first time three years ago after coming sort of disappointed from Starcraft 2 and loved every minute of it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Mate, no offense, but I don't think anyone cares much about game you are going to LP, C&C or otherwise -- there's just too many LPers out there for one thing. People come to this thread to discuss the series and even then I imagine most people already said and read all that there was to say about it, sadly.

Thanks for saying this, I'll just keep going with games I can record then.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That said, go do Kane's Wrath.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I gave up on C&C with C&C4. No base building? No thanks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That's not a C&C game, SolidSnakesBandana. Just like Metal Gear Arcade is not a Metal Gear game either except it shares a name because executives think that will make it sell better.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
But... it was supposed to be the FINAL CHAPTER... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

But... it was supposed to be the FINAL CHAPTER... :negative:

Actually it was supposed to be a F2P spinoff for China and then they thought, "you know what...?"

• Locked thread