Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

SugarAddict posted:

This, also know that it uses your EA login.

I tired to get myself one and it 404'd me

no biggie...I just play zero hour and pretend everything is futuristic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

SupSuper posted:

Well this is an unexpected throwback by Petroglyph: http://store.steampowered.com/app/427250/

Very light, very simple, but still very frantic and reminiscent of the original C&C/RA, with a lot of similar design choices and references to the old games.

this game is loads of fun. hope they add extra armies and stuff (looks like they are making a fantasy one next).

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SupSuper posted:

It was in Red Alert 1 actually:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4abDiESlP-Y

C&C and RA2 had the dino missions.

"I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would do any good!"
:allears:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Michaellaneous posted:

"I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would do any good!"
:allears:

Wait, Carver was in Red Alert 1? What the hell..

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Red Alert was my main poo poo growing up, hours long skirmishes owned. I also enjoyed RA2 but 3 signaled the descent into APM clickfests that made me a sad panda, despite the actual story itself being true to form. I mean no one can complain that Mecha Tengu didn't own hard, I just wish it wasn't an APM race to get them out in 20 seconds.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Gejnor posted:

Wait, Carver was in Red Alert 1? What the hell..
Yeah he sneaked into the RA1 expansions years before his debut in Red Alert 2, the rascal.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I'm a mechanical man.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Ahundredbux posted:

I wish OpenRA would release TS support already, I am very pleased with the changes they made to RA1

I would like to finally get past Hammerfest base and finish the GDI campaign.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Revitalized posted:

Also, I loved manipulating CNC1 enemy AI by just building a maze of concrete walls.

When I was a child I used to build bases that were kind of realistic-ish. Little gate sections and poo poo.

I was playing Red Alert again as an adult, and realized that in fact the true path to victory is a maze of concrete walls in front of a Tesla coil.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
If you don't arrange your base to look as pretty and symetric as possible I don't know what to say

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gentlemen this. Gentlemen this. Gentlemen this is about funding.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

If you don't arrange your base to look as pretty and symetric as possible I don't know what to say

I used to build around the roads and section off all the street blocks with concrete walls and put gates over the sidewalks at the corners of blocks, then put all my buildings in the walled off blocks in tiberian sun.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Paramemetic posted:

Red Alert was my main poo poo growing up, hours long skirmishes owned.

This except play multiplayer with a friend. Call each other on the phone, hang up, dial his number with the modem. Then play and when losing, hide your last infantry under a tree :v:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

John Dough posted:

This except play multiplayer with a friend. Call each other on the phone, hang up, dial his number with the modem. Then play and when losing, hide your last infantry under a tree :v:

Never not hide infantry under a tree. The harvester chase and the infantry search are the only approved endgames for red alert multiplayer skirmish.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I hereby declare CnC 4 done and buried along with the CnC series. Rest in Peace.

I am now working on Red Alert 3 and Red Alert 3 expansion.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773994

As always you can post your critisim, help, and tips here or in the RA3 thread.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I spent untold hours playing RA 2 as a child, building like 30 prism tanks and just rolling up the commie bastards.

The Red Alert 2 soundtrack is still one of my favorite video game tracks to this day. 'It's a Nuclear Device'

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
May the anime emperor protect you in your lets plays

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

AtillatheBum posted:

The Red Alert 2 soundtrack is still one of my favorite video game tracks to this day. 'It's a Nuclear Device'

Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage!

Have fun with RA3. It's interesting how swingy the campaign is. By yourself it's well-balanced, with a good partner you can steamroll it effortlessly (even to the point of breaking event flags), and with a bad partner you just... stall out and die.

Seriously, who the hell thought making players share income was a good idea...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Backhand posted:

Seriously, who the hell thought making players share income was a good idea...
I really don't get why this is a problem. They get half your income and you get half of theirs, it evens out. It doesn't matter who expands since both of you benefit equally. Having to compete over resources with your ally would just get annoying (like with that jerk from the campaign). :shrug:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Like I said, it's fine when you have a competent ally. When you've got an idiot, they blow all of the money instantly and get their units killed in the blink of an eye. I just don't see any good reason why you would make income shared to begin with; it doesn't really open any new or interesting opportunities, and seems to have potential only to screw you. With a good partner it won't, but why share it at all?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Backhand posted:

Like I said, it's fine when you have a competent ally. When you've got an idiot, they blow all of the money instantly and get their units killed in the blink of an eye. I just don't see any good reason why you would make income shared to begin with; it doesn't really open any new or interesting opportunities, and seems to have potential only to screw you. With a good partner it won't, but why share it at all?

I could see like, a share option making sense, but yeah nothing was more frustrating than having a good financial plan then just when you hit the money you need for a new refinery or something your ally drops it on a tech center thing that blows your power margins then sells it at a loss immediately when the power goes off.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Then again if you're Japan and you do anything other than print 20 mecha tengus immediately welp sorry you don't know about fun

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Good news: I've played around with an OpenRA test build and the Tiberian Sun mod is coming along really well. About the only things missing are tunneling logic Tiberium veins. Still a few glitches with the hightmaps too. The mod I'm testing also does some cool stuff that wouldn't be possible on the older engines, most notably aerial dogfighting.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

Then again if you're Japan and you do anything other than print 20 mecha tengus immediately welp sorry you don't know about fun

I remember playing the Empire campaign and being quite pissy the first time my tengu squared off against vindicators, which utterly thrashed them.

Then I realized the very simple solution: Build MORE tengu.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Mordja posted:

Good news: I've played around with an OpenRA test build and the Tiberian Sun mod is coming along really well. About the only things missing are tunneling logic Tiberium veins. Still a few glitches with the hightmaps too. The mod I'm testing also does some cool stuff that wouldn't be possible on the older engines, most notably aerial dogfighting.

Excellent, can't wait to have my poo poo wrecked by drones from an AI in skirmish again

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ahundredbux posted:

Excellent, can't wait to have my poo poo wrecked by drones from an AI in skirmish again

Preview build will be released hopefully by Christmas if everything goes as hoped.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I could see like, a share option making sense, but yeah nothing was more frustrating than having a good financial plan then just when you hit the money you need for a new refinery or something your ally drops it on a tech center thing that blows your power margins then sells it at a loss immediately when the power goes off.
Um, you share income not money and certainly not power. If your ally builds a tech center it doesn't affect you in any way at all. But I haven't played it coop with other people, it doesn't work like that does it? :psyduck:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Poil posted:

Um, you share income not money and certainly not power. If your ally builds a tech center it doesn't affect you in any way at all. But I haven't played it coop with other people, it doesn't work like that does it? :psyduck:

I might've been mistaking this for the co-commander thing in RA2.

Having now played RA3 again that was not a problem, the problem was the AI ally completely sandbagging so you could be kicking rear end on your front and you look over and all the objectives are failing because your ally is gone.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Paramemetic posted:

I might've been mistaking this for the co-commander thing in RA2.

Having now played RA3 again that was not a problem, the problem was the AI ally completely sandbagging so you could be kicking rear end on your front and you look over and all the objectives are failing because your ally is gone.

Yes and this turned out, atleast for me, to make the game hardest as the japanese, easiest as the soviets.

Gotta be aggressive as gently caress in Red Alert 3 campaign mode, or your AI buddy will slowly drag you down to hell by failing miserably most of the time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bumping this old-rear end thread because a big, new (final?) version of Mental Omega just came out.

MO is easily the biggest mod for RA2:YR and probably one of the biggest mods for any RTS. As of version 3.3 it boasts the following:

quote:

This release includes:

-A complete new faction: The Foehn Revolt
-12 new subfactions with their own unique sets of units
-52 new single player missions, including a campaign for Yuri
-28 new cooperative maps for 2 players
-new skirmish/multiplayer maps, around 500 total
-new skirmish/multiplayer game modes, 14 total
-updated visuals & audio
-a new soundtrack, unique for each side (separate download)

Each subfaction is unique and fully realized, both the singleplayer and cooperative campaigns are long and hard as balls, and the mod is fully integrated into CnCnet, meaning you can find a match without having to manually gently caress around with VPNs and the like.

So dig out those Yuri's Revenge CDs (or login to Origin or whatever) and get to Commanding and Conquering!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mental-omega/downloads/mental-omega-330
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mental-omega/downloads/soundtrack-for-mental-omega-33

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Mordja posted:

Bumping this old-rear end thread because a big, new (final?) version of Mental Omega just came out.

MO is easily the biggest mod for RA2:YR and probably one of the biggest mods for any RTS. As of version 3.3 it boasts the following:

Each subfaction is unique and fully realized, both the singleplayer and cooperative campaigns are long and hard as balls, and the mod is fully integrated into CnCnet, meaning you can find a match without having to manually gently caress around with VPNs and the like.

So dig out those Yuri's Revenge CDs (or login to Origin or whatever) and get to Commanding and Conquering!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mental-omega/downloads/mental-omega-330
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mental-omega/downloads/soundtrack-for-mental-omega-33

Just chiming in to reiterate that this poo poo is off the hook. Haven't played this latest release, but last time I played MO I was really impressed with how the new stuff was fresh and still very much in keeping with the original -- even the voice acting.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I remember trying this, and it was a really cool fusion of Tiberian Sun/RA2/Generals but it was too drat fast. Any advice for a scrub like me that thinks that the slowest setting is still way too fast?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Also chiming in that Mental Omega is loving incredible, in that they are amazingly ambitious and have the talent to pull it off. I've been playing it on and off since 3.3's release.

habituallyred posted:

I remember trying this, and it was a really cool fusion of Tiberian Sun/RA2/Generals but it was too drat fast. Any advice for a scrub like me that thinks that the slowest setting is still way too fast?

Keep playing it on the setting you prefer. Learn the hotkeys (check your menu), for example, pressing Q will bring up the buildings tab, but if you have something built, it will also bring that building to your cursor for placement. Cntr + Shift is Attack Move. Cntr + Alt is defense move/follow (the latter being good for units that heal).

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Thank you very much, I knew setting a repair IFV to defence was good but a defend+follow command is great.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
C&C: Generals mod for Red Alert 3
Pretty neat that modding extends even to the newer ones still

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I got like all the games for 5$ through Origin which was a p. good deal and I was quite happy.

But then I played C+C 4 all the way through the Nod campaign and now I want to gouge my eyes out with a spork.

tamphex
Jun 21, 2003
I listen to the CnC OST whilst I mine space rocks in Eve Online. It just seems to fit.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
poo poo news: No, I do not have a new desktop computer yet (I'm a bad LPer), because I may need to get :10bux: a new car :10bux: and not having a full time job does not bring in money.

Not poo poo news: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNkCKi92i6NsiyxEUgVX1g this guy has done ALOT of the command and conquer series including modded games, and uploads a video a day and is not bad like me, so you could sate your CnC LP thirst in the mean time by watching his stuff.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Former Victory Games developer shares why Generals 2 was cancelled:

quote:

The biggest problem was tension between free to play, and monetization. There's really no good way to find a happy medium. Either you incentivize people with persistent upgrades like levels, or new unit loadouts, or you have fair, competitive play. There's just not a good happy medium. Naturally, money talks and bull**** walks, so the game was leaning towards monetization and away from competitive play (except it's the competitive play that really keeps things interesting over the long term, so....)

The second biggest problem was also a result of the need to monetize: content sprawl. We were adding two new Generals every month or so, so that there would be lots of unlockable content. 2 weeks per General is not even remotely close to enough time to fully develop each General. Like... not even close. You need distinct units, generals powers, upgrades etc. 2 weeks is probably 1/10th the time necessary to even get the assets built, let alone tuned, polished, and balanced. So what was the solution to this break-neck cadance? Strip down the Generals so they only had a subset of units, and go for MOBA style 3v3 gameplay where you had to pick complementary Generals to form a team. SNORE. We were trying to clone LoL in a fundamentally different genre. Also, I hate being dependent on 2 other randos, or spending time trying to coordinate with 2 other players I trust. I just want to hop into a 1v1 ladder and start playing. But this game was not built for that, at all.

Next was the siloed development. Art was doing its thing. Engineering was doing its thing. Design was doing its thing. There was no vision holder creating a cohesive product. Art was laser focused on realistic visuals, which actually HURT game readability substantially. You could hide a terrorist in the shadow of a palm tree, and he would just blow up half your tanks. When you're playing a game competitively, you're spending literally fractions of a second on a given screen, and need to be able to assess conditions instantly. This can't happen when the map is full of visual clutter (burning piles of trash, crumbled walls, shrubs everywhere...). Zero Hour's simple graphics actually enhanced the gameplay. Generals 2's hurt it. I actually created a test presentation for the dev team called "Count the terrorist" where I'd show them a screen, give them 5 seconds (an eternity) to count how many terrorists were hiding on the screen. I did this for both Gens 2 and ZH. Nobody got the number right on Gens 2, but ZH was more accurate. Why? Better overall readability.

Moreover, we wanted to do things like make Technicals transports. Art was against this because they didn't have time to model the dudes sitting in the back of the technical, and the load/unload animations. Like.. who gives a ****? It's a game, not Saving Private Ryan FFS.

The third biggest issue was I was hired as the CNC expert to move the game more towards a CNC direction. The lead gameplay designer at the time was a huge StarCraft fan, and the gameplay he had designed reflected that. Units didn't have mass, and all behaved in very homogenous ways. No variety in turn rates, no acceleration, nothing. All of that nuanced micro that made CCG/ZH so special? 100% non-existent in Gens 2. I was hired to fix this. Except right up until we were cancelled, I was never really given that authority. I was told to create special community builds in secret rather than just getting to work making the game feel more like CNC. Of course, a big part of that is requesting engineering features to make that happen, but that's not possible when you have one designer requesting StarCraft-like features, and another requesting CNC-like features. Other things like the maps themselves were designed like SC2 maps - large platforms and huge maps, with narrow entrances that newbies could use to wall off. The goal was to make it easier for players to avoid being "rushed", but several design elements contradicted this goal. Unit build times were too slow, and movement speeds too fast. It would take a tank 35 seconds to cross a map, but a tank would take 35 seconds to build. This means you could at most, have 2 tanks built by the time one of your opponent's tanks arrived. Even on small maps in ZH, you could often have 3 or 4 tanks ready by the time one arrived. Why? ZH had short build times. Short build times and somewhat slower movement speeds actually create a natural defender's advantage that actually helps people repel "rushes".

Speaking of engineering. God drat. The game was an authoritative client-server model, where the server would model the game, and broadcast game state to the clients, which merely rendered it. Great for stopping cheating, but due to performance issues, the game's logical frame rate was 4FPS (literally 250ms per tick). And that didn't really account for latency. So you'd order a tank to go in one direction, and then very noticeably later, it would finally obey that order. This slow gameplay frame rate also made things like accurate crushing, and other effects (like high rate-of-fire weapons like gatts and quads) almost impossible. Also, apparently Frostbite 2 (the engine it was built on) is really not well suited for RTS gameplay according to the engineers I talked to. Things (like range detection) that would have been cheap and simple in an RTS-dedicated engine, were not so straight-forward or cheap in Frostbite.

And things like crushing wasn't just a technical hurdle - it was a political hurdle as well. Crushing is kind of a signature part of CNC gameplay, but there were lots of people on the dev team who thought that crushing would just make infantry useless, so they didn't want it. Except there are myriad ways to design infantry to retain a core role, while also allowing crushing...

Other issues like the Generals powers were just lame. They were point and click instant effects. Totally uninteresting, lacked nuance, and lacked depth. My voice of concern over the existing powers and suggestions to effectively scrub them and start from scratch, was not strong enough. Further, the manner in which you earned those powers was incredibly bad. In Generals/ZH, you earned your generals points by destroying enemy units and structures. In Generals 2, they were unlocked as a function of time or tech level (or something else, I forget which now!). No earning them, just suddenly became available to you even if you camped in your base and did nothing all game.

At the time we were cancelled, the game was about 2 months away from open beta. As a massive fan of the franchise, and RTS snob/connoisseur, to me it should have been 2 more years away from open beta. There was so much work that had to be done just to make it feel like a CNC game, let alone balance it and polish it. Honestly, even if that game had been released, fans would have hated it and would have been really disappointed in it. I personally would not have played it, for what it's worth.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/65pd76/if_you_could_bring_back_any_game_from_your/dgd3o7j/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That was real interesting. Sounds like the game would have been a complete disaster.

• Locked thread