Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

That's kind of a depressing look at the behind the scenes of Generals 2. Is it too much to ask for another C&C with a cool setting like TS and C&C 3, but with some competitive component as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Nichael posted:

competitive
You gotta watch your vocabulary around publishers.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sorta sounds like the developers fractured along what sort of game they wanted to make. EA wanted their MOBA-like light RTS, art department wanted to show off frostbite and make something for people to watch the explosions, lead dev wanted to go head to head with SC2, this guy wanted his 'nuanced micro'.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlIkGlTMUNE

It's a pretty good Youtube doco going through the rise and fall of the C&C game series. Just been going through boxes of old software my dad had (he was a mega RTS fan before dementia destroyed that love) and found his copy of C&C 3. Hopefully EA will allow me to install it, even though the key has been used way back when dad originally brought it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Occasionally you can authenticate a game on Steam just from an old CD Key.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

That CDKey will work given it's just for installation. There's no activation limit I'm certain

:cool:
I've got all the SAGE engine games in a stack on my subwoofer

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
If it doesn't work on steam you can activate most EA Games on origin with the key.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You Am I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlIkGlTMUNE

It's a pretty good Youtube doco going through the rise and fall of the C&C game series. Just been going through boxes of old software my dad had (he was a mega RTS fan before dementia destroyed that love) and found his copy of C&C 3. Hopefully EA will allow me to install it, even though the key has been used way back when dad originally brought it.

I watched this a while back and it's a good history of the series.

The most I ever played online was Tiberian Sun Firestorm. Honestly though, I never gave a rat poo poo about anything but the campaigns in these games. So my favorite games in the series are the ones with the strongest mix of solo play and story. To me, Tiberian Sun's apocalypse-in-progress sci-fi aesthetic, pulp sci-fi story, and everything about it makes it my favorite.

Red Alert 3 might be good, but I don't know because those assholes built the solo campaign around an assumption of co-op play and that's a loving jackass move. So, the series died at C&C 3 to me.

I really hope EA sells this property off to someone who cares one day. So I never have to endure some no-base f2p MMORTS MOBA re-imagining that EA will inevitably try to poo poo in our mouths with.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hollenhammer posted:

That CDKey will work given it's just for installation. There's no activation limit I'm certain

:cool:
I've got all the SAGE engine games in a stack on my subwoofer

drat, I wish I still had all of my old game boxes.

I saved a lot of them for the longest time and then me and my family were moving and one day while I was at school I guess my mom threw them all out in the dumpster. :negative:
Nothing beat the nostalgia of looking through old huge game boxes and their contents, I still had all of the manuals and everything...

Never forgave her for that. :colbert:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

basic hitler posted:

I watched this a while back and it's a good history of the series.

The most I ever played online was Tiberian Sun Firestorm. Honestly though, I never gave a rat poo poo about anything but the campaigns in these games. So my favorite games in the series are the ones with the strongest mix of solo play and story. To me, Tiberian Sun's apocalypse-in-progress sci-fi aesthetic, pulp sci-fi story, and everything about it makes it my favorite.

Red Alert 3 might be good, but I don't know because those assholes built the solo campaign around an assumption of co-op play and that's a loving jackass move. So, the series died at C&C 3 to me.

I really hope EA sells this property off to someone who cares one day. So I never have to endure some no-base f2p MMORTS MOBA re-imagining that EA will inevitably try to poo poo in our mouths with.

RA3 is playable on your own with AI controlling your partner. The AI is fairly dumb, but it's serviceable.

I also liked the Global Conquest mode or whatever it was they called it in the RA3 xpac. THere was something deeply amusing about how the 'plot' essentially boiled down to: "You work for the military-industrial complex and are super rich and super powerful, but you feel like you could be even MORE rich and powerful. Steal secrets from every military in the world until you are literally swimming in money!"

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Deakul posted:

I saved a lot of them for the longest time and then me and my family were moving and one day while I was at school I guess my mom threw them all out in the dumpster. :negative:
Nothing beat the nostalgia of looking through old huge game boxes and their contents, I still had all of the manuals and everything...

I feel your pain :negative: :hf: :negative: my mom threw out my first computer, broke the power cord (it wasn't detachable), and left it in the rain where it became a home for crickets. She also threw out a bunch of papers that had passwords and logon information on them (RIP online component of games).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Backhand posted:

RA3 is playable on your own with AI controlling your partner. The AI is fairly dumb, but it's serviceable.

I also liked the Global Conquest mode or whatever it was they called it in the RA3 xpac. THere was something deeply amusing about how the 'plot' essentially boiled down to: "You work for the military-industrial complex and are super rich and super powerful, but you feel like you could be even MORE rich and powerful. Steal secrets from every military in the world until you are literally swimming in money!"

I've never actually loaded the RA3 expansion, but global conquest was pretty fun in the C&C 3 expansion.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Backhand posted:

I tried to play and no, i'm sorry, that AI is directly responsible for my complete lack of enjoyment of RA3. It was a loving stupid move on EA's part to build a single player campaign around that co-op assumption, otherwise forcing me to share map space with some idiot AI. If they wanted to do it properly, it would have cost way more than EA would want to spend to design different maps for the solo and co-op campaigns I guess. Either way not even tim curry and george takei hamming it up can make me put up with that busted mechanic.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I honestly thought I knew every weird bit of trivia about this franchise imaginable, but I just found out Nod, GDI, and CABAL were in a level of Westwood's Land of Lore 3. Excuse the nerdy guy's lovely commentary in the video, it's otherwise a neat look back at when a company was eager to do C&C stuff.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Nichael posted:

I honestly thought I knew every weird bit of trivia about this franchise imaginable, but I just found out Nod, GDI, and CABAL were in a level of Westwood's Land of Lore 3. Excuse the nerdy guy's lovely commentary in the video, it's otherwise a neat look back at when a company was eager to do C&C stuff.

lovely commentary? That's Kikoskia, mister, and I won't have him slandered. :colbert:

But it's especially interesting that they took a "chance" like this, as Westwood was already consumed by EA. Although I much prefer the protagonist of LoL2, I actually like the gameplay of LoL3, warts and all. Neither hold a candle to the original, but they still have their merits.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I decided to load up C&C3 to play the single player campaign and saw an "update" button. Holy poo poo, just gently caress you and go to hell EA. . . Apparently patch 1.09 from 2007 nerfed the poo poo out of GDI and buffed Nod a ton. I remember playing this when I first got it and I started out on easy and eventually worked my way up to hard about halfway through the GDI campaign but this time I tried starting out on easy and just fuuuuck. Spent 6 hours replaying the 4th mission over and over trying not to get bum rushed before going to GameFAQs to find a walkthrough and seeing "this guide doesn't cover strategy after 1.09 balance patch". I hate EA so much right now, C&C and Simcity were the best game series when I was a kid and they have been just ravaged.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Crotch Fruit posted:

I decided to load up C&C3 to play the single player campaign and saw an "update" button. Holy poo poo, just gently caress you and go to hell EA. . . Apparently patch 1.09 from 2007 nerfed the poo poo out of GDI and buffed Nod a ton. I remember playing this when I first got it and I started out on easy and eventually worked my way up to hard about halfway through the GDI campaign but this time I tried starting out on easy and just fuuuuck. Spent 6 hours replaying the 4th mission over and over trying not to get bum rushed before going to GameFAQs to find a walkthrough and seeing "this guide doesn't cover strategy after 1.09 balance patch". I hate EA so much right now, C&C and Simcity were the best game series when I was a kid and they have been just ravaged.

Dungeon Keeper as well.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think someone else in this thread said that each patch tweaked things for competitive balance (multiplayer) without any regard for how single player would be affected and that's very true. I had to grind out that one mission as GDI where you have no command centre and have to keep powering down defences. Remember how briefly EA considered CNC3 as an esports alternative to Starcraft and had that weekly show (BattleCast)?

Anyway i expect it's probably better to play unpatched (and by that token, from a real DVD and not via digital distribution) but I can't remember if Kane's Wrath requires a prerequisite patch

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Original Red Alert or nothing IMO.

Basically everyone picks Russia unless you are praying you end up on a water map, in which case Allies rule supreme.*

*Gets a bit more hazy with some of the add-on CDs.

I think I tossed all my old CDs in the garbage years ago though. Ehh. :shrug:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Crotch Fruit posted:

The key thing to know about that major balance rehaul they did was that it's all about the infantry. They're faster, longer-ranged, do more damage, and take less from AT weapons. Mix more anti-infantry into your composition and generally speaking you'll be fine; this goes double for if you're playing the Tiberium Essence mod, in which case Shadow Teams are the absolute key to success for Nod players and Wolverines are should make up at least half of your army for GDI.

If you're playing vanilla, it's probably enough just to add 2-3 APCs into your main strike force loaded up with sniper teams.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Backhand posted:

The key thing to know about that major balance rehaul they did was that it's all about the infantry. They're faster, longer-ranged, do more damage, and take less from AT weapons. Mix more anti-infantry into your composition and generally speaking you'll be fine; this goes double for if you're playing the Tiberium Essence mod, in which case Shadow Teams are the absolute key to success for Nod players and Wolverines are should make up at least half of your army for GDI.

If you're playing vanilla, it's probably enough just to add 2-3 APCs into your main strike force loaded up with sniper teams.

No, there's also the GDI mission where you have to cycle power between turrets/supposed to use two cranes. But they removed that feature, so you can only use the one crane, and can't cycle power as easily anymore.

It makes the mission near impossible. You have to depatch your game to get through it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah a lot of early missions just throw around piles of Nod infantry who are supposed to get mowed down easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

gently caress that patch. It definitely made earlier stuff much more tedious as well due to the buffed infantry.

• Locked thread