Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

That famous liquid, that classic compound we all love to drink, that's right I'm talking about water.

http://manaphoto.deviantart.com/art/The-Turtle-388862502

http://manaphoto.deviantart.com/art/Ocean-Cylinder-451475701

http://exodus5139.deviantart.com/art/Kelp-Forest-2-65971367

http://alierturk.deviantart.com/art/California-The-killer-wave-279601488

http://m-eralp.deviantart.com/art/Autumn-in-Palsankoski-II-483452082

http://indigodreams.tumblr.com/post/127200895248

Places to find more inspiration:
http://underwaterartgroup.deviantart.com/
http://seaofsadness-sos.deviantart.com/
http://deviant-surfers.deviantart.com/
http://underwater-photos.deviantart.com/
http://aquaview.deviantart.com/
http://viniboi21.tumblr.com/
http://lifeunderthewaves.tumblr.com/
http://thelovelyseas.com/
http://marine-conservation.tumblr.com/
http://tropicaldestinations.tumblr.com/
http://cam-mcfarlane-photo.tumblr.com/

Here's a couple tutorials I can't read but still helped me! They are apparently by this guy

Also here's Aurorazhdarcho Primordius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I follow these threads and the consistent awesome stuff you guys produce is a thing to behold and a bit intimidating as well.

Take this guys for example:

quote:

After 10 years of stuffing around and being way too lazy with art I have finally found some motivation to be productive. Been trying to draw or paint every day and have gone close to doing that for the last week and a bit.

This one is based on a rough sketch I did a few days ago, picked up a canvas board today and smashed this out in around 6 or 7 hours. Still getting the hang of acrylics but learning every time I use them. (Sorry for the giant image I am posting from my phone)

You didnt art for ten years and you did *this*??!? I hate you because I want to be you. Every time I visit this thread it is a reminder of the reason I suck at so many things. Which is: being good at something is a lot of hard work, a few grains of talent and just more work. Basically you guys remind me I am lazy. At 38, but secretly already at 37 and 36 and for many years, I realised I am not a vat of untapped potential waiting to be put in the right environment so I can explode with productivity and dazzle the world, but I am a vat of untapped potential, layered in a thick greasy crust of laziness and procrastination that will not dissipate because there is always something up, always some reason why now is not the right time. There is so much to think about, so little time and even now I am sitting here typing on an internet forum instead of doing something, anything.

No need to respond, I will vent in my Lodge in a few weeks.

To contribute, not something I drew but should be in a waved themed month:

rotoscoped
Oct 30, 2010
I got out of the habit of drawing for a few months due to general life busy-ness. I feel like I forgot everything.

Here's some kind of water pig duck thing the people in PYF seem to like????

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled is convincing the world that talent exists.

mutata fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 2, 2015

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

rotoscoped posted:

I got out of the habit of drawing for a few months due to general life busy-ness. I feel like I forgot everything.

Here's some kind of water pig duck thing the people in PYF seem to like????

What a cute baby cara

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
An amphiptere for the Southlands Bestiary by Kobold Press.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Beelzebub posted:

Wow, nice job!

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

smallmouth posted:

Wow, nice job!

Thanks a bunch!

Here's another one from the same project. An accursed defiler.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

quick studies

E: its nuts how much better these look thumbnailed than fullsize. That's the importance of good color and lighting I guess!

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 4, 2015

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

mutata posted:

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled is convincing the world that talent exists.

"Talent" is nothing without intention and discipline. Focus and determination, in other words.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 4, 2015

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Keetron posted:

I follow these threads and the consistent awesome stuff you guys produce is a thing to behold and a bit intimidating as well.

Take this guys for example:

You didnt art for ten years and you did *this*??!? I hate you because I want to be you. Every time I visit this thread it is a reminder of the reason I suck at so many things. Which is: being good at something is a lot of hard work, a few grains of talent and just more work. Basically you guys remind me I am lazy. At 38, but secretly already at 37 and 36 and for many years, I realised I am not a vat of untapped potential waiting to be put in the right environment so I can explode with productivity and dazzle the world, but I am a vat of untapped potential, layered in a thick greasy crust of laziness and procrastination that will not dissipate because there is always something up, always some reason why now is not the right time. There is so much to think about, so little time and even now I am sitting here typing on an internet forum instead of doing something, anything.

No need to respond, I will vent in my Lodge in a few weeks.

Haha I'll take it as a compliment. I did obsessively draw for most of my childhood and teenage years though so I did have a bit of a basis to work with despite my rustiness and laziness, but painting and colours in general are still pretty new horizons for me.

I've read a few things that have made a bit of an impact on me over the last year or two that have finally got the stars aligned to get me motivated to put some proper work into my stuff. One is being aware of how much time you spend enjoying the product of someone else's labour versus the product of your own. So while I can go out and screw around on the net, then play a video game, watch a movie or show, there's nothing really wrong with that, but I try to be aware that none of that is really growing me as a person or really qualifying as a hobby or habit I'm proud to have. I read a good line from David Wong saying he meets so many people who call themselves writers, but don't actually write anything. I think the same applies to art.
The other thing is something I saw Karl Kopinski (one of my favourite artists) say a little while ago, he said he never really felt that he made any real headway as an artist until after he was 30. It sort of made me stop and think and say hang on maybe I should just reset my expectations of my abilities a little bit and go out of my comfort zone. Just because I'm older and rusty doesn't mean I've forgotten everything, I've always been confident in my ability to teach myself as I go, and a positive attitude will help tie things together. Beyond that, a huge amount of resources are available out there, learn from reference, learn from tutorials, learn from wherever. The basic rule I always follow for anything is the more you do something the better you get, and you will always learn something from a piece even if you don't like the finished product (or can't finish it out of dislike). But the important thing is you will still learn something. So yeah, everyone says draw every day and I and many others sit back and say no way man, I'm different I don't need to, I'm a rebel, but then one day its like hang on it turns out the only way to improve is by practice and producing things. Some things you learn will only make minor differences to your abilities, other things will make huge differences. But you can't learn unless you put pencil on paper and get something in front of you.

Anway: some sketch ideas for future paintings and progress on the current one.

I don't know why I put him in a marching band jacket. Not too sure about him being outside, but that all needs a lot more work so we'll see where it goes.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

snaeksikn posted:

Karl Kopinski (one of my favourite artists) say a little while ago, he said he never really felt that he made any real headway as an artist until after he was 30.

This is exactly the same boat I was in.

The year I turned 30 was a shocker for me. My son had his first birthday and things started moving way too fast. I realized I had to double down or these opportunities I've been dreaming about for most of my life were going to speed right past me.

Finally, after staying up every weekend for the past three years I've progressed enough to start checking off my illustration bucket-list items. The one I'm most excited about right now is my first round of illustrations for the Magic card game. Though I hear Wizards does not give second chances, so the pressure is on.

My advice is to imitate your goal. If one of your goals is card art, create compositions similar to established artists already in that niche. It was the only way I could learn to solve the problems my peers had already conquered. Also, use reference...

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

So I've been trying to shake the rusty cobwebs off of my drawing skills. It's been a very long time since I did anything regularly. This took a really long time to pencil out and ink. Like way too long.

There's no water theme here, although I'm thinking about painting it in watercolors. So that sorta counts with the theme? :shrug:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
15 min digital drawing from reference (off to the side on a separate monitor)

because drawing from imagination wasn't working. I haven't arted in a long time and need to get the cobwebs out.

Thumbnail sketch for a goon's battle sister with power claws and cat ears. Should be fun. Revised legs to not look so pinup, and some basic composition thoughts.

"too gory." I didn't like the scale anyway. In retrospect, it wasn't going to show as much detail as I'd like.
I have a photo reference for the face, so I used it.

6h mark. Start of day 2.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 7, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Ahhhh crabs!

Also I tried the thing with the thing in the first post but from memory instead of looking at the actual instructions and now I'm underwater!

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 7, 2015

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon
The brain is a magical thing.

I really need to practice water. But for more inspiration Anders Zorn was great at rendering it:

Delta Echo: That eagle gorget is looking great!

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

My first time doing line art in Paint tool SAI

Poor murloc pulled Nat Pagle as his first legendary.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I draw these simple comics with my wacom, and while my students are working on their own comics I fire up paint in the classroom and doodle in an example using the mouse. Paint is a stupidly fun program to goof around in.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
doing some australian football mascots for fun, did these today acrylic on 6"x6" canvas. about an hour or so for each. played around doing a simpler colour mix on the run for the skin tone on the middle one which was way faster than the way i've been used to,and keeps the tones consistent.

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 8, 2015

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Dimorphodon

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Flapling city! Is that moss some sort of texture brush? It looks really neat.
Also now I gotta know: are you on some sort of magical quest to illustrate every last prehistoric animal?

Also also: I have done a water.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Flapling city! Is that moss some sort of texture brush? It looks really neat.
Also now I gotta know: are you on some sort of magical quest to illustrate every last prehistoric animal?

Also also: I have done a water.

Thanks! That water looks really good!

The moss is and bark was all done the hard way, but originally i had a second animal crawling up the tree trunk. I ran out of energy ( i try to do these in one sitting) when i got to it though, so i copy/pasted and rotated the moss i had already painted 4-5 times to cover up the hole where it would have been.

I decided i needed a project to keep me motivated, so i'm trying to do one pterosaur a week (pterosaur ptuesday) :)

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I bought a Surface Pro 3 last week when my laptop died and it's really helped me get back into drawing for the first time in years. This just barely fits the water theme--I was trying something new and super-sketchy here.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

A quick Barlowe-inspired Grendel for @Sketch_dailies on twitter

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I finally listened to the voice in the back of my head daring me to extend the drawing to include the whole body. It's going to be extended on top to include the top of the pennant as well.
So here I am, still stuck in the planning phase.

oldyogurt posted:

Delta Echo: That eagle gorget is looking great!

Hey thanks, oldyogurt.

Sharpest Crayon, that water study is motivating.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 11, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Me when I look at a water pic : Hey that looks fun and easy, I'm gonna try that! :yayclod:

Me when I try to draw it : I'm in way over my head who sneaked all this detail here when I wasn't watching? :saddowns:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

edit- yikes, timg

bitmap fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 10, 2015

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon

random dude in the ocean

WIP for which I need to take some reference photos of hands

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
More water studies, droplet this time.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Your studies have that quality of looking photographic from a few feet away, and then painted from up close.

I need to do more studies.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

An image of my buddies (a Scottish hip-hop duo) for a wee blog post I wrote about them. The middle's a bit of a mess but it turned out better than I thought it would overall.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Beelzebub posted:

This is loving amazing, but the arrangement of the legs and tail looks really weird. You seem to be missing anatomical elements here. I know it is mythical creature but it does look ... odd.

The tail should be in between legs. The tail kind of blends INTO the leg here.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 12, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Delta Echo posted:

Your studies have that quality of looking photographic from a few feet away, and then painted from up close.

I need to do more studies.

Thank you and also pfpfpfpfpfff you're sitting there pulling a space marine supergirl in mega detail outta your butt, you don't need more studies :keke:
The words I would have chosen would not have been "painted" up close. Like Humboldt Squid's studies, they all look real nice thumbnailed, and what I'd politely call "messy" up close.

Here's a rock pool.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Thank you and also pfpfpfpfpfff you're sitting there pulling a space marine supergirl in mega detail outta your butt, you don't need more studies :keke:
The words I would have chosen would not have been "painted" up close. Like Humboldt Squid's studies, they all look real nice thumbnailed, and what I'd politely call "messy" up close.

Here's a rock pool.

Aye, well thanks. I intend to integrate a study of shiny metals into the space marine pic. Studies are all kinds of good for skill building, especially when drawing from imagination isn't working that day.

I love the simplicity of the light blue reflections in the bottom right corner of that one.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Vulture study from a photo

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

X-post from the traditional thread.
Did a quick portrait study on some cardboard after cleaning my room and finding my brushes.

Didn't grasp the best likeness of the subject, but it was pretty fun.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Ice this time. It's still water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon
great stuff all!