Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty apparent Lotfp just uses over the top gore and other edgy material because it's the only thing that separates it from other bland and derivative OSR games. Not even in a way that's clever or pays homage to anything, just to be shocking and disgusting. Even going to their website is revolting and it doesn't help that a good deal of the pictures I've seen or remember are of violence against women.

EDIT:

Qelong by Ken Hite is cool but it's Ken Hite.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mimir posted:

What's wrong with Ken Hite? Suppressed Transmission is excellent background material stuff - I don't tend to care for his rules writing but his historybashing is gold.

Nothing, he's a great writer and nice guy. I meant that as it's great because it's Ken Hite and everything he does is incredibly competent* to great.

*The Decipher Star Trek system was bad.

EDIT:

unseenlibrarian posted:

I think what they were saying was more "Qelong by Ken Hite is cool, but it's Ken Hite, so of course it is."

Exactly.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 4, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone back the new edition of Mutant Chronicles? I saw that the book has been online for a while but no one has really commented on it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

What would be the best system for running a horror themed King of the Hill game? I had a vision yesterday of Hank Hill and pals squaring off against Lovecraftian horrors and I haven't been able to shake it.

Probably Trails of Cthulhu or Hillfolk because it would be mostly story driven and episodic.

EDIT:

I think L5R is in good hands because he SW RPGs are pretty solid. I think the current games are some of the best iterations of Star Wars yet and they've done an excellent job of fleshing out the universe without just stating out the Expanded Universe. Their handling of 40K has been pretty good as well.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 15, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Realms of Cthulhu is another good choice. There's practically a Cthulhu game for every system so take your pick.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

What is Realms of Cthulhu?

Savage Worlds Cthulhu setting.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

Really bad ones, yes. Here, I will summarize:

This goes on more or less uninterrupted for two whole books until eventually it doesn't work and Shandril is the one who explodes, whereupon Mystra resurrects her as yet another unique magical being, because Mystra is a big believer in conserving intellectual property, so she's at least got one up on DC Comics.

(There's a continuing unintentional thing where Mystra gives people some kind of wondrous magical blessing, which results in them living the life of a hunted animal and then dying miserably when their luck gives out, because no blessing is good enough to hold out forever against the Realms' endless supply of card-carrying villains. See Secrets of the Magister for a few dozen more examples.)

I like to imagine Mystra is pretty bored with being a goddess and this is how she makes her equivalent of TV.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Witchers are pretty much Gary Stu dick bags so it's a shades of gray dick bag story as opposed to a broader, open ended story. The writer of the Witcher is the Polish love child of George R.R. Martin and R.A. Salvatore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

paradoxGentleman posted:

I agree that Salvatore's characters really are kind of Gary Stu-ish, but I don't think Martin's are. Unless you meant to say that his characters are dick bags, which is true for at least half of them.

George R.R. Martin was in reference to the aspect of the Witcher where every female character is half naked, more HBO than the books, and Geralt getting around.

• Locked thread