Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

gradenko_2000 posted:

She's a lady, and she's in gaming, and that's really just about all the reason the uglier parts of the hobby needs for people to start flinging poo poo. It's barely even worth discussing their purported reasons for why (not a "real" gamer etc)

It's probably a contributing factor that, to my limited knowledge, Day actually talks about the harassment she gets rather than, I dunno, being grateful for the attention?? I don't know what the quote appropriate unquote response is supposed to be if you're born a woman, or God forbid you transition to womanhood, and people in the subculture get on your case about it. I don't like thinking about this stuff as it makes me angry how far we've come in some ways and not others, but I realize that having that option is the literal definition of privilege.

Content: I'm trying to sell my 5e-loving friends on 13th Age. How would the more eloquent of you make the case for 13A over D&D?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Evil Mastermind posted:

The big ones I can think of off the top of my head is that it's a lot easier to make your character mechanically unique with the free-form backgrounds and OUT, Icon relationships that tie you to the setting in interesting ways, and that combats are pretty quick.

I think the free-form stuff is turning some of my group off, they seem to want things with clearly defined mechanical effects. One thing that has specifically been mentioned as a net positive in D&D's favor is the massive spell list. Not the kinds of spells, just that there are a lot to choose from, apparently.

I need more friends.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
To be fair, I have generally really cool friends, and a couple goons, but our tastes in games are rather different, especially w/r/t tone. I want to play Dragon May Cry but the DM wants to run Dark Souls. And thats fine, Dark Souls is cool. But if we're going to do that we should do it in a system that's streamlined mechanically so the people who loudly sidebar and text non-stop during the game the group as a whole can all have fun.

Really I'm burned out on fantasy at this point, as long as I'm on this Metal Gear kick I wanna play superspy Strike! Or maybe FATE a la Winter Soldier.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I had no idea Meguro worked on the Trauma games. Are they any good?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I'm gonna try running my dream campaign once more, this time in Strike!. I'm envisioning a crypto-Metal Gear high action spy-fi thing. Unfortunately most of my players are not familiar with MGS. How do I get them in the right frame of mind? We'll probably run a test session as a kind of prologue.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Serf posted:

E-even Portable Ops? Ghost Babel? Ac!d? Have mercy!

Acid 2 was the most fun one could have with a PSP prior to Peace Walker. I'll give you portable ops though.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Evil Mastermind posted:

Now people can go places where they can have a real discussion! Like their Facebook page!

But where will I go to discuss character optimization and whether shrouds disappear before or after the attack that invokes them?

God drat, weren't they all uppity during the Next playtest about people not using the appropriate forum for feedback? Now there isn't one.

e:

Plague of Hats posted:

Did the D&D forums live in the same system as the wider WotC stuff? I could swear they had some major turnover before. Was the Magic forum very active? I never visited it.
There was a change in the forum's code that broke many links to charop guides around the release of 5e.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

gradenko_2000 posted:

Easy, play 5e where there's barely any charOp to be had!

You joke but there's apparently an Unearthed Arcana series for 5e, including such gems as the swashbuckler rogue archetype, which at 3rd level can Sneak Attack enemies that aren't being flanked by an ally, adds Cha-mod to initiative, and doesn't provoke OAs from enemies when moving away after attacking them. Beats the hell out of the lovely thief and assassin archetypes in the PHB, and goes a long ways towards almost making the 5e rogue dangerous in combat!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Any time is a good time to talk about Benedict "Kazuhira" McDonnell Miller and his series of increasingly elaborate secret ocean hideouts

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Isn't it supposed to be Paz?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's the best game of this millennium even if it was unfinished due to the greed of the money gobbling pachinko building fucks at Konami and if you disagree you need to have your head shot off by powerful Stinger missiles.

:agreed: except replace Stinger with M47. Or the off-brand in game equivalent, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Captain Walker posted:

Any time is a good time to talk about Benedict "Kazuhira" McDonnell Miller and his series of increasingly elaborate secret ocean hideouts

• Locked thread