Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Best experience so far has been getting my first PBP off the ground and running. I'm having such a blast that I'm considering starting a Roll20 game to try out Strike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Countblanc posted:

A really awesome post

Well shoot now I gotta run it. Thanks for this!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Countblanc posted:

e: Also also make your game Monster Hunter so I can play in it.

I would, but I've never played a Monster Hunter game, so I wouldn't be able to do it justice.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Asking for positive feedback only is a good way to not get any good feedback on your game. People will be too concerned with whether or not they're using the right tone to actually give you anything useful.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

On the flipside, you could end up with a D&D Next/Pathfinder situation where any feedback given is given token notice before being tossed away.

Oh yeah, this is all assuming that they are asking in good faith. It has to start with the intent to actually accept critique.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Esser-Z posted:

Have them play MGS. All of it.

E-even Portable Ops? Ghost Babel? Ac!d? Have mercy!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Esser-Z posted:

MERCY IS NOT DISPENSED HERE, FOOL.

You're a monster!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ningyou posted:

am i like Defective or something if i genuinely kinda liked Ghost Babel and the Ac!d games

portable ops was trash tho

Nah, I'm mostly joking. Portable Ops sucked, and I never finished Ghost Babel because some jerk stole my Gameboy. Acid was pretty cool, but I've never met anyone who actually liked it.

Ningyou posted:

also THE METAL GEAR EXPERIENCE can be condensed into 'david hayter has rambling homoerotic robot adventures then wants to kill himself the end'

Accurate.

Serf
May 5, 2011

To be fair, "Second Floor Basement" sounds like nonsense. If it's the second floor of the basement, wouldn't that just be the first floor? And it it's the basement to the second floor wouldn't it be the... first floor? For once I feel like I can identify with Snake.

Serf
May 5, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

Basements are just floors that are underground hence the reason why you can have multiple basements.

Understand that where I come from a basement is something you see on TV. Might as well be something off of Star Trek. So when I first played Metal Gear Solid as a kid, the concept of a "Second Floor Basement" was mystifying to me. Snake says a lot of dumb things in that game, but in that case I was with him.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Esser-Z posted:

As somebody who has been places with basements, nah, that's totally normal phrasing.

So the Second Floor Basement is lower than the regular basement? Might as well call it the Super Basement or Basement Level 2.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Or sub-basement.

I mean one basement is bad enough but once you start digging lower than that you've basically hit Hell or that place where balrogs come from.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Esser-Z posted:

Now I'm reminded of something I want to use in a game sometime: basically inverting the DUG TOO GREEDILY AND TOO DEEP trope. Instead of dwarves mining too far and finding hell, the demons/devils expanded too high and found dwarves. Now, the circle of llife/death/afterlife is being disrupted as the dwarves push into Hell and claim its resources for their own.

I'd likely have PCs tasked with finding a way to fix the now hosed up cosmic balance.

Fix it? No, see, this is the part where you go on a grand adventure to blow up Asmodeus/Orcus/etc. and retire into the new business of transporting the condemned right back upstairs to the regular world. Sell Hell Insurance to those of low moral character, ensuring that upon finding themselves in Hell, you'll be there to get them back on their feet and on an elevator back to the surface. Exploiting the cosmic cycle of death and rebirth for fun and profit seems like a proper dwarfy thing to do!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Oh wow, I thought that kid was supposed to be the embodiment of "that guy" y'know the one who you hang out with but all he ever does is whine and just be generally very contrarian? It's been a long time since I watched the show, but I remember thinking "yeah, I know a couple dudes just like this guy" and thinking it was stunningly accurate.

Serf
May 5, 2011

As with all things Forgotten Realms, it should be thrown away ASAP

Serf
May 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

We are no longer friends. :mad:

I talk a lot of trash, but this has been on my shelf since the day I bought it:

Serf
May 5, 2011

MGS5 is GOTY because I can sneak into a Soviet camp and steal every man, mounted gun, vehicle, and cargo container without anyone noticing. There's nothing quite like sneaking up behind a big drat tank and lifting it into the sky, thereby stealing every man inside.

Big Boss - Man Stealer

Serf
May 5, 2011

I haven't played Undertale yet, but after hearing all the good stuff about it I totally want to. Gonna have to wait until after I have a few weeks with Taken King, which is installing right now.

Serf
May 5, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Game idea: A Mad Max/Death Race-style vehicle game where opposing factions race to survive. It's called "Race War."

You can have that one, you're welcome.

So like Race Wars from The Fast and the Furious, just with murder?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

Just put them on ignore you dummies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I swear when I find the guy who keeps putting up those anime posters on my Mother Base I am gonna throw him overboard. I'll bet its Huey. Its Huey isn't it? gently caress Huey.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zereth posted:

Apparently if you take them down consistently enough a soldier will complain that they're expensive, who keeps doing this.

And remember that Kazuhira Miller is the japanophile on board. My money's on him being involved in producing them.

I will find this man and I will remove him from Mother Base.

I'm sticking with Huey just because of Otacon. Anime begets anime. Big Boss knows this.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I really want to like D-Walker, but I can't justify sacrificing either my dogfriend or Quiet, Snooze Machine. If you could deploy D-Walker as a vehicle I'd always take it but as it stands D-Dog is best for recon and Quiet is awesome for taking out a whole base while I Fulton dudes. Heck, give Quiet the Sinful Butterfly and there's nothing she can't wreck. If I could take them both I would. Heck, just give D-Dog his own sniper rifle and we'd be gold.

D-Horse should just be standard. Dunno why it is a buddy at all since it's only good for messing with guards and pooping shenanigans.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zereth posted:

Isn't Snake sprinting with the sprint upgrade faster than D-Horse, too?

I actually don't know, but it would make sense. You move pretty drat fast when sprinting. I never get tired of six million dollar manning dudes from out of nowhere with the sprint + bionic arm.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ningyou posted:

real talk I kind of want to get the precision/mobility upgrades so I can run (and reload and crawl and etc.) faster but ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh snake

like i like kiefer sutherland but ever since i found out how to deploy as whoever you want i can't not play TPP as the batshit adventures of Judy the perpetually blood-drenched Horse  Island President-for-Life and Quiet, Best Gal Pals

Wait until The Boss DLC comes out and you can dress up your lady soldiers as The Boss. Definitely gonna have to get my S+ combat solider Flaming Buffalo out and go gently caress some poo poo up as the greatest soldier that ever lived (this could only be improved by having Buffalo be an S++ for the true Boss experience but I'll take what I can get).

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ningyou posted:

wait can you not rank up yr soldiers past A/A+ or something

speaking of flaming, i am sorely disappointed i haven't literally found soldiers named FIRE WHALE yet

really i'm disappointed with a lot of mgs5 but THAT MORE THAN ANYTHING UGH

Maybe? I've seen S and S+ soldiers appear as volunteers or by extracting them, but I've never seen one get to S++ with medals yet, but maybe I just haven't played enough. If I can get Buffalo up to S++ then I'll be all about tearing through whole bases with just CQC while dressed as The Boss. Unless I can get a Patriot in this game which I sincerely hope I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah, pretty sure she's guaranteed. Makes me super-excited for that Boss skin, I just wish it was the version with her sneaking suit still zipped up and not the cheesecake nonsense version from the final fight.

• Locked thread