Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

Signed up for MSF course in Kirkland at LWIT in April.

Recommended shops in Seattle / Bellevue area? I live on the east side, but don't mind driving out. Want to pick up at the least a helmet for the course, probably more gear after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There's a Cyclegear in Lynwood, Auburn, and Tacoma. Don't buy Bilt. Buy name brand. There are also dealers all over. Bent Bike sucks IMO. A note for Cyclegear- take in your MSF completion card within 30 days after passing the course, and you'll get %15 off every item on one purchase that isn't already on sale. With tax it's really only 5% off, but hey, discount.

E: CG also price matches online (other than ebay and amazon). And for disclosure I work for CG.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

movax posted:

Signed up for MSF course in Kirkland at LWIT in April.

Recommended shops in Seattle / Bellevue area? I live on the east side, but don't mind driving out. Want to pick up at the least a helmet for the course, probably more gear after that.

I like Triumph of Seattle and Seattle Cycle Center, both on Aurora. Triumph is a little posh and clearly caters to an image crowd, but they're good people, knowledgeable, and not pushy. They carry Revit, Klim, and seem to have either fashionable stuff (armored jeans, jackets that look normal) or full-on adventure kit (Klim). Seattle Cycle Center is a little more mainstream practical in their selections - Olympia, TourMaster - but are also cool and good dudes. For a helmet I'd go SCC, probably. They have good entry-level full-face helmets which I think Triumph kind of skips in favor of shut like Bell Bullitts, but they're a quick drive between them so stop at both.

Triumph will probably price match most sites (Garrett, the owner, says he'd rather lose a bit on a sale but gain a customer) and frequently has deep sales/clearances. SCC might match, will usually will give 10-15% off - watch their Facebook or just ask nice. I'm not sure about MSF discounts from either but I wouldn't be surprised if they both had one.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I got all my stuff (without knowing about the MSF discount) at the Auburn CycleGear. They were really helpful.

There's also one in Beaverton for the Oregoons in this thread.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It actually work at the Beaverton one. I'm working today, so best save your buying time for the weekends.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The Bent Bike by me in Lynnwood looks pretty closed now.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They've always looked closed. The guys there never seemed to give a poo poo about anything, and everything cost too much.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No, it's actually closed now. They shut down back in December for good, not long after shutting down the Kent location. I don't know why they still have a website up, though.

http://www.bentbikemotorcycles.com/xcart/

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 5, 2017

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Haha, December. Shows how often I use 99.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone planning on going the supermoto practice day in Richland on April 15th? I'll be out there on my YZ450 and I might have room on my trailer. Slap some conti trail attacks or similar on your dirtbike wheels, it's a blast!

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
New rider in Bellingham, WA checking in.

2008 KLR 650. Down for touring, trails, whatever.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

its all nice on rice posted:

There's a Cyclegear in Lynwood, Auburn, and Tacoma. Don't buy Bilt. Buy name brand. There are also dealers all over. Bent Bike sucks IMO. A note for Cyclegear- take in your MSF completion card within 30 days after passing the course, and you'll get %15 off every item on one purchase that isn't already on sale. With tax it's really only 5% off, but hey, discount.

E: CG also price matches online (other than ebay and amazon). And for disclosure I work for CG.

Picked up a Shoei Qwest and some whatever gloves -- figure I'll optimize further after the course, but the helmet seems super solid.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

movax posted:

figure I'll optimize further after the course

You don't know how right you are.

I don't even want to think about how much I've spent on gear that seemed great in the store but I never wore past 100 miles in the saddle.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Passed the course after dropping / crashing it during the cornering quick brake exercise -- my brain completely dumped out the muscle control of clutch + light brake presses and I went down in a skidding fashion.

Now to go bike shopping -- ABS is high up there on my list of things to get :)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's supposed to be gorgeous and hitting 70 tomorrow, and I have to drive at goddamn minivan.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

New rider from Tacoma here. Well, I've rode before but I haven't had a motorcycle of my own in years.

I'm planning a major road trip with a friend in the start of September.
I reckon the best prep I can do is to get my PPE, find a safety course, and put on as many miles as I can in both practice, for fun, and commuter rides before the trip.

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!

movax posted:

Passed the course after dropping / crashing it during the cornering quick brake exercise

:fsmug:

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Any of you ride around Montana? Got to Spokane last night and Missoula today.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've cris-crossed Montana. But I usually hit Spokane for lunch and Missoula for dinner.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah it's a quick jump between the two. We took our time and stayed the night in both Spokane and Missoula. We later rode south towards Sulla and then into Dillon. The Butler map we had said that 278 is a "lost highway" and I believe it. Went about an hour without seeing another person on the road. Pretty part of the country, just so much wildfire smoke when I was passing through.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Definitely. I got a kick out of how "cowboy" Dillon was.

That neck of the woods: Kamiah, ID is a quiet nice little stop over town. The Hub is where you eat...they have a bowling alley downstairs, what? You are riding Lolo Pass right? Old Spiral Highway is like 70 miles off the west end of Lolo and that is a must ride up and down.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm back home now, but yeah we really wanted to go through Lolo but it was on fire and closed when we did our trip. Maybe next spring/summer.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Literally the thread title

I have never seen a bike next door, nor ever heard one. Then suddenly this appears. And just sits there. It's been there for several weeks now, never moved. Is it on display? It doesn't have a for sale sign. The previous owner built a shed with a little awning that's perfect for a bike. That's where he kept the one that he did actually have.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Could be my neighbor

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

considering buying a bike and learning how to ride; my father is a Harley guy and the dude I'm dating has an old Honda; both cruisers. I'm more into the idea of getting a sportbike, but don't really know where to start or want to spend a bunch of cash.

What little poking around I've done and my father going HARLEY FOREVER kinda leads me to looking at Buells, more specifically a Blast because they seem like they're 100% geared toward new riders.

Any takes on if they're decent or if they're simply cheap garbage?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

$1000 Ninja 250/500.

The guy you’re dating will most likely have metric tools already, and they’re basically Honda Accords for reliability and easy of maintenance.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I own both an Accord and a Ninja 250 (lol). I have never had problems (edit: difficult, expensive types of problems) with either.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 18, 2017

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Whatever you do don't buy a Buell. Harley doesn't even acknowledge they exist, so parts support is going to suck. The blast is also a terrible bike. nthing the ninja 250/500 rec. TBH the SV650 is another reliable bike that's not a terrible first bike, either.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the escape goat posted:

considering buying a bike and learning how to ride; my father is a Harley guy and the dude I'm dating has an old Honda; both cruisers. I'm more into the idea of getting a sportbike, but don't really know where to start or want to spend a bunch of cash.

What little poking around I've done and my father going HARLEY FOREVER kinda leads me to looking at Buells, more specifically a Blast because they seem like they're 100% geared toward new riders.

Any takes on if they're decent or if they're simply cheap garbage?

Read the newbie thread in this very forum! (You should be getting a Ninja 250).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

its all nice on rice posted:

Whatever you do don't buy a Buell. Harley doesn't even acknowledge they exist, so parts support is going to suck. The blast is also a terrible bike. nthing the ninja 250/500 rec. TBH the SV650 is another reliable bike that's not a terrible first bike, either.

St Paul Harley Davidson are credit to team. They got me new keys ordered from Italy (!) In like 2 weeks at a discount from msrp. They have a bunch of stuff in stock all the time

But never get a blast.

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

Bike: Honda CRF250L
Years ridden: more like weeks.
Down for: non interstate, sketchy decomissioned forest roads

Pretty new to the game, bike is mostly weekend fun/afterwork rides. I would love to find some people to ride with, I'm mostly in it for taking in the sights and exploring..

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Alright bike is insured and I finally moved to Seattle proper from Bellevue. In one day (my first ride) I went up and over the lake, suffered a broken clutch cable while cruising on I-5, had some motos stop and check on me and let me know about Backfire happening that night, got a tow, all shops closed, tow dude was a bike mechanic and offered to drop me off at Backfire and help me replace it.

So anyways with that level of cursed'ness out of the way, let's go ride places.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

movax posted:

Alright bike is insured and I finally moved to Seattle proper from Bellevue. In one day (my first ride) I went up and over the lake, suffered a broken clutch cable while cruising on I-5, had some motos stop and check on me and let me know about Backfire happening that night, got a tow, all shops closed, tow dude was a bike mechanic and offered to drop me off at Backfire and help me replace it.

So anyways with that level of cursed'ness out of the way, let's go ride places.

That’s a pretty epic and awesome day. Let’s ride.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I need to head over to backfire... I haven't been since last year and haven't seen their new SODO location

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006
North Cascades Highway (WA SR 20) is slated to reopen tomorrow morning. I'm ready for the spectacular views again! There may be sand / debris left from the winter, so be careful if you head out.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Traffic/Passes/NorthCascades/2018ProgressMap.htm

https://twitter.com/wsdot_north/status/994255564707262464?s=20

60 Hertz Jig fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 11, 2018

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Well I just moved to Astoria and I still don't have my motorcycle :negative:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Picked up a VFR 750 two weeks ago, pumped about being back on a bike. I’m over in West Seattle if anyone wants to be riding/beer and wrenching buddies.

Astoria is a cool town but goddamn I couldn’t imagine riding over there in the winter.

Cylon Dinner Party
Dec 2, 2003

bored now.

Quite A Tool posted:

Picked up a VFR 750 two weeks ago, pumped about being back on a bike. I’m over in West Seattle if anyone wants to be riding/beer and wrenching buddies.

Did you post a picture of the VFR? I’m a few weeks back in too and could use a riding buddy.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I did in another thread yeah, but I'm gonna post it again cause I can. Loving it so far. My schedule is a little crazy but I’d be down to go for a ride sometime soon. Had a surprise day off today and took the ferry over to Vashon. Not a bad little 30mi loop. Looking forward to tackling some long days this summer though.

Also I loled getting off the ferry in Vashon with some of the old dudes who commute from there, top/side boxes galore on their bikes and they just loving railed it up the road. I expected a much more sedate pace.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I bought a KTM 1290 Super Adventure R a few weekends ago. riding to bridge of the gods today 😎

• Locked thread