Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Bike: Ninjer 300. Green, of course
Years ridden: Coming up on 2 years full-time riding
Down for: talking about bikes, looking at bikes, riding bikes, finding out fun places to ride bikes, talking poo poo about squids

We just recently did a week down to Cali (Yreka) and back up 101 and some of the connecting little highways between the coast and Crater Lake. Last weekend we went to Maupin out I84 and then 216 (I think, I'm horrible at remembering highway names). Then we came back out to the coast on the Umpqua River Hwy, which is frickin' gorgeous and everyone should ride it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Delta-Wye posted:

I moved into an apartment with a garage and I'm thinking about getting a vehicle. I've always loved the look of the Urals and am thinking why not feed my third-life crisis by getting a russian piece of poo poo with a sidecar?! I'm supposed to go get my WA license Thursday and I figured I should sign up for the sidecar training class once I qualify for in-state tuition. It's only $125 and according to the website, they provide the rig and a weekend's worth of training both classroom and on the bikes. I know about the way the state structured training and testing and figured the quality varied significantly between sites and was hoping someone could chime in on whether this place is worth it.

Anyways, I haven't ridden on a motorcycle since I was young (like 12?) dicking around on a minidirt bike so it's going to be a bit of a trip. If I like it, I can further consider getting one and I'll have my endorsement already. If not, it sounds like a fun weekend anyways and I could simply not use the endorsement.

Either outcome is waaaaay better than buying one and realizing I hate it :shepspends:

Riding a bike with a sidecar is basically 0% like riding a motorcycle. The sidecar is a big weight, which you'll notice in corners, and you will not be doing any leaning.

That said, sidecars are awesome. I think HNasty (or nSAP?) has built them, so he might be able to give you more/better specifics.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Skier posted:

Once you fly the chair high enough to hit steering reversion it steers and handles like a very lopsided two wheeler. :v:

I like the cut of your jib.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Verge posted:

Piaggio makes a three-wheeled hybrid-option scooter. Yes, it leans like a motorcycle and you steer it like one, too. Piaggio m3. I'd buy one if they came with a under-bar engine vs swingarm mounted. I like me a saddle. They're under 10k

Yeah, one of my old coworkers has one, and he loves that thing. Apparently he's had trouble finding a reliable service place, though, so hopefully you can/want to do your own basic wrenching. Or you know someone reliable.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, both Oregon and Washington failed to pass them, but I'm hoping next year the folks working to get them passed will be extra-savvy and have a better time getting a less ridiculous splitting law passed.

I think Washington's ended up the worst, but ours wasn't much better. And we didn't have filtering at a stoplight, either, which seems like it should be in there.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
The mornings are usually the worst, cold-wise. But basically, once it's cold and wet, it's Misery Town, population Your Hands.

My Rukka lobster gloves are working great, though, keeping my hands warm and dry. I had a little dual-wheel slippage this morning when I hit some frost, but it wasn't too bad.

I'm still considering getting some heated gear, but it's just so drat expensive. I'm saving up for an Aerostich (or similar) so blowing $300 on heated gloves and all the accoutrements seems kinda silly to me.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

concise posted:

Hey thread, I just registered for the 2/27 BRC in Kent. Time to spend all my money then go get slammed into on 405!

Yeah! Woo! Go hog wild!

Good luck, and try not to deathgrip the handlebars.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
The box isn't that bad if you can work on your clutch control before you have to do it. Clutch control is super important and will be useful forever.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
This weekend marks the end of my family responsibilities on weekends, so next weekend we're going camping.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

clutchpuck posted:

Hey Oregon folks, I want to go camping in the Middle Sanitam Wilderness at the end of July.

Last time I rode NF-11 it looked like folks just pitch tents or set up RVs in the large turn-outs in the 2-lane section. Is that legit? Can I just find some space and set up? Do I need to pay somebody?

I want to check out Crack in the Ground and it looks like Middle Sanitam would be a stop along a 2 night round trip.

Someone else may know more/better, but my understanding is that "dispersed camping" i.e., not at a campground, just wherever, is legal anywhere in the state forest. I believe Middle Santiam is covered.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

B.Wales! posted:

I'm taking the ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles this weekend, and riding to either Seattle or Portland (haven't decided yet), so I'm looking for advice on that as I haven't been to either city before, but I'm more interested in the quality of riding there and back. I'm also going to need somewhere to set up my hammock and crash for the night at some point along the way if anyone knows of any good camp grounds that are suited to that. Any advice, suggestions or words or caution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Aww yeah, hammock buddy!

I'm near Portland (about 25 miles west). There's good riding to be had here! Also a ton of campgrounds that should have trees you can hang from. Most proper campgrounds will have some trees (YMMV) and you can generally camp free in the national forests, and anywhere that grabs your interest.

I do more of my camping toward the beach and on the western side of the mountains, though, so hopefully someone else can give you some solid advice. I'd recommend taking highway 101 down if you can. It goes along the ocean and it's generally a really gorgeous ride. The weather's good right now, too.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
And if you head to downtown Portland, go to Rich's for cigars. There's a liquor store a couple blocks from there.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
rear end in a top hat with an electric car chiming in here:

My Leaf is 5 years old and the range has dropped significantly enough now that I can get to downtown Portland and back ONLY if it's warm and I'm driving very conservatively. The round trip is a little less than 50 miles.

I will not buy another electric car. They haven't nailed the battery life well enough for me. I'd rather use some dino juice and be able to go anywhere (like the beach, somewhere we weren't able to go without borrowing someone's car, for 3 years) with some basic maintenance cost and time. When we bought our motorcycles it was like an albatross was lifted off us. We could just GO places. No worry about the range and where we could plug in.

I'm with Gay Nudist Dad on this one. Sounds like a bicycle would be perfect, and the carbon footprint on that is (probably) less than an electric car (where do the batteries go when they die?). Maybe someone up your way can hook you up with a cheap motorcycle so you can see if you'll like it. It's not much like a scooter, honestly.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Pope Mobile posted:

Great day for a ride. Hit 6 out to Tillamook and met up with some family. Now we're at rockaway beach and going to track North on 101 until cannon beach then hit 26 back two Portland.
Forgot how piggish the bike gets when riding two up.

Wave as you pass Banks!

... I'll know.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

B.Wales! posted:

I had planned to, but realized I was due for an oil change and didn't have enough rear tire left to do it and make it home safely. Next time I will be going to San Fransisco and spending a lot more time in Oregon.

Let me know next time you're in OR, I'll buy you a beer. Or hook you up with :420:, whichever.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Hey, alright! Welcome!

You have the right idea about tootling around for a while. Also, don't do what I did, which is go on a group ride with a bunch of people on some extremely hairy roads when you've only been riding for 3 weeks.

Get comfortable, start doing some gentle twisties, keep up your slow-riding practice in a parking lot, and try to ride every day. Even just a little each day will help you keep all the good stuff they taught you in BRC in mind.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I take Skyline>Germantown every night to go home (west). It's pretty awesome in the event that I don't get behind some cock-knocker from who works at Intel and is being super cool by going maybe 25 the whole way.

It's also one of the most fun rides in town, imo. You can go up Skyline for real fun if you're feeling like doing some twisties. There are some little offshoot roads (Mcsomething.. I forget the name) that are super twisty and a lot of fun.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Verge posted:

i don't understand how you guys commute in Portland. poo poo's painful

Well, I take some blood pressure medication so I don't have a ragestroke in the morning on 26. Then, in the evening, I take Skyline to Germantown to Cornelius Pass to the highway to home, and it's generally loving cool and blissful and wonderful. Well, except the highway bits, although some days are better than others.

Plus, there's always :420:.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Daemoxx posted:

This is a large amount of why I both live and work in Beaverton. That, plus looking at rent numbers in Portland makes me depressed.

I'm a super new rider though, just tried out the freeway for the first time today. Went great, think I may have waited longer than I actually needed to, but oh well. I have way more fun on the bike than I ever do in the car. :D

Yep! It's awesome. If you get a chance, do the Hagg Lake loop (Scoggins Valley Hwy). It's curvy but not insane, and a lot of fun (and also beautiful) and you don't have to pay a park fee unless you decide to park and do stuff.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

October has been poo poo so far. Typical, I get a new motorcycle and Oregon decides to push my poo poo in with the coldest, rainiest start to fall we've seen in a few years.

Also :whatup: Lynza, I didn't know you ride motorbikes. Or I forgot.

If the OP sees this you can add me to the list for Portland riders. Now that I have a bike with fancy heated grips I'm going to see if I can stomach riding all winter.

Friendo, you gotta sack up. Get you some warm dry gear and ride all year!

Your bike is too rad to sit all winter.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Skier posted:

Get your old man suit, PDX people: http://www.aerostich.com/popup16or .

Ewwww, Gresham!

I'd be down if I hadn't spent a lot on a Klim set. Eh well, I think I did alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Got a new biek to replace the ol' Ninjer. Digging the Wee Strom quite a bit, getting used to the size of it has been tough, though. I could easily flat-foot the Ninjer, can't do that at all now. Backing in/out is a lot of little baby steps, or I can lean to one side and use a whole foot.

Put about 750 miles on it in the last couple weeks, mostly riding to the beach and back, but it's such a delight to punch it and actually, you know, punch it. Passing lane? Oh yeah, buddy, lemme at 'em.

Planning a trip up to Mt St Helens at some point, but it's been hot as balls and night rides are a lot more pleasant.

• Locked thread