Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Bike: 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 2008 Genuine Stella yeah that's right just scooters
Years ridden: 11 goddamn years of scooters
Down for: <60mph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Verge posted:

Piaggio makes a three-wheeled hybrid-option scooter. Yes, it leans like a motorcycle and you steer it like one, too. Piaggio m3. I'd buy one if they came with a under-bar engine vs swingarm mounted. I like me a saddle. They're under 10k

I don't think the hybrid MP3 ever made it stateside.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Verge posted:

I've heard terrible things about the Seattle area Vespa dealership, which sells (and maintains) Piaggios. Apparently they're fine to sell the thing but poo poo CS and techs. I don't know if that's universal - I always think of scooters as a non-tinkerer's bike so that'd be lovely.

Yeah this tends to be true.

When Triumph of Seattle was still Lynnwood Cycle Barn and sold scooters, most people I knew went up there for official Piaggio/Vespa dealer service - a 45+ minute trek by scooter so it wasn't really easy to drop your bike off there. Shows how badly people wanted to skip Vespa Seattle. But they lost the scooter dealer licenses for Piaggio/Vespa and for Genuine when they moved to Seattle because Vespa Seattle and Scoot About (Genuine) had the claim and wouldn't accept the competition.

If you do need a shop to work on a scooter in Seattle, you've got options. Fritz Repair (works on anything, just one guy, no bullshit, only place I'll take my bikes), Seattle Cycle Center (also works on anything), Triumph of Seattle, Moto International (sells Aprilia, may take other Piaggio-family scooters). There are some other shops around that take scooters that I just don't know anything about, like Rainier Cycles. Avoid Vespa Seattle (aka Big People Scooters) and ESPECIALLY avoid Scoot About (Genuine//Chinese scooter/Royal Enfield dealer) who are probably worst in the area.

Scooters are just as much a tinkerer's ride as anything else. They're mostly dead simple, single-cylinder with belt-driven CVT, so there's not much to get wrong on them. Maybe my perspective is skewed on scooterists though since everyone I know is in it for the hobby, not just the cheap transportation, and so work on their own bikes - whether just for maintenance or for customization/performance.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Delta-Wye posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a good gear shop in the Seattle area? I just need to get some gloves and look into helmets at the moment, but I will likely be needing more stuff in the future.

Seattle Cycle Center and Triumph of Seattle. The latter will have fancier stuff but both are good shops with nice people. Both are on 99.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clutchpuck posted:

You don't have gardening or work gloves hanging around in your garage or shed? Those are fine for the course.

Yeah I just wore basic leather work gloves for the BRC. I didn't buy anything for it.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clutchpuck posted:

Rode the Ulysses out around Monroe for a bit. Passed a guy on High Bridge Road going the other way on a Grom. Day: made.

There are plenty of those dudes out there. The eastside Ruckus/Zuma/Grom crews lead a big ride out of Duvall every September that winds around and ends in Monroe. It splits into a "fast" group and a "slow" group (it's all relative). The fast group the last couple years has had a few stunt-caged Groms and featured plenty of stoppies.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

bizwank posted:

More like 5 cents, but I get your point. Cost isn't really a big factor for me, it's more about not owning another internal combustion vehicle; our electricity (in Seattle) is super cheap and green so I'm trying to use it instead of fossil fuels as much as possible (my next car will almost certainly be a full electric). Also yeah they're super dooper cool. I understand from reading enough forums that I will probably end up dropping my first bike a couple of times so yeah I might start out with a cheapo 250 to get past that stage; I've rented scooters more times then I can count though and never had a problem with balance, nor with learning how to shift things.

I already have a fast torquey car and I'm almost 40, so I'm not looking for a cheap thrill, more of a solution to not driving a whole car everywhere with just me in it. I don't have any reasonable public transit or carpool option with my cross-town commute.

ABS takes the guesswork out of stopping quickly and safely, which is most important for new, inexperienced riders/drivers. Forcing them to learn without it makes about as much sense as suggesting they don't wear helmets or use their turn signals.

As someone who does a 5-mile cross-town Seattle commute (Capitol Hill to Fremont), that trip + your goal = a bicycle.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I've missed the last two months due to working late and travel, so, goddamnit, I will be there. Probably hopefully on the scooter in my avatar.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Dog Case posted:

Gonna try to make it down to this thing. I'll be the guy on an old Japanese bike with a Gringo helmet and bubble shield.

Do I need to put a tape X on my headlight for this

And your tightest raw denim.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Dog Case posted:

Complies with the latest SNELL standards.

This is one of the Soldiers of Destiny some of whom just did the Scooter Cannonball for charity. 3700 miles in 11 days on 125cc. They are Good Dudes.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Speaking of icy roads, for Seattle-area goons, I suggest you bookmark this: http://www.atmos.washington.edu/SNOWWATCH/

Surface temperatures. Naked numbers are "1-2 meters up," boxed numbers are actual road surface, and boxed italic numbers are elevated road surfaces.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

movax posted:

Signed up for MSF course in Kirkland at LWIT in April.

Recommended shops in Seattle / Bellevue area? I live on the east side, but don't mind driving out. Want to pick up at the least a helmet for the course, probably more gear after that.

I like Triumph of Seattle and Seattle Cycle Center, both on Aurora. Triumph is a little posh and clearly caters to an image crowd, but they're good people, knowledgeable, and not pushy. They carry Revit, Klim, and seem to have either fashionable stuff (armored jeans, jackets that look normal) or full-on adventure kit (Klim). Seattle Cycle Center is a little more mainstream practical in their selections - Olympia, TourMaster - but are also cool and good dudes. For a helmet I'd go SCC, probably. They have good entry-level full-face helmets which I think Triumph kind of skips in favor of shut like Bell Bullitts, but they're a quick drive between them so stop at both.

Triumph will probably price match most sites (Garrett, the owner, says he'd rather lose a bit on a sale but gain a customer) and frequently has deep sales/clearances. SCC might match, will usually will give 10-15% off - watch their Facebook or just ask nice. I'm not sure about MSF discounts from either but I wouldn't be surprised if they both had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I’m from Richland. I don’t have a ton of riding time out there, but my main advice about cops is to beware West Richland. Those cops have earned a reputation for ticketing literally anything.

• Locked thread