Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Why not the northwest? We've got our own set of riding challenges: Consistently wet weather, completely boned construction and infrastructure (particularly in Seattle), The Cascade Loop, cool forest trails, and the need to start a few riding clubs to scare the techies moving in. Post here about PNW riding tidbits/concerns, routes, meetups, and cool stuff as it pertains to Washington/Oregon/Vancouver, why not?

Bike: 2013 Brammo Empulse R
Years ridden: A few months
Down for: Not going 100mph across the 520 bridge in the rain

PNW Goon Riders:

Washington
Squirrel Burger - Greater Seattle Area
NipplesTheCat - West Seattle
Gay Nudist Dad - Capitol Hill
EkardNT - Bainbridge Island
Spiffness - North Seattle
clutchpuck - Edmonds
Pope Mobile - Kitsap Peninsula
Slim Pickens - South Seattle
Worthington - Covington
ChewedFood - Olympic Peninsula

Oregon
ant mouth - Portland
Keldoclock - Portland
Lynza - Near Portland (Rural)
Beaucoup Cuckoo - Portland

Squirrel Burger fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Also, if you're near Ballard and not in on it, third Wednesday of every month is one of the biggest monthly moto meetups around: https://www.facebook.com/backfiremoto

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Keldoclock posted:

Bike: bikeless pleb
Hours ridden: 18
Down for: new rider advice, talking about electric bikes

I ride an electric sportbike (Brammo Empulse R). They were just bought by Polaris and are clearing out old inventory, so depending on where there's a dealer, you may be able to get a recent model for a song. I got mine at over half off due to clearance and being preowned (and also there was a fire at the shop so they knocked even more off the price). In Seattle at least, Seattle E-Bike near the stadium is the place to go to check them out.

Content: May be planning a ride up from Seattle to Vancouver or Victoria at the end of the month. Will need to stop a few places to charge my bike. Any must-see places along the way? I'm thinking a leisurely ride along the 9 North.

Squirrel Burger fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 12, 2015

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't used Evergreen because of scheduling, but I have taken a different learner's course here. Only thing I would recommend is if you have you have your own motorcycle, find a parking lot between classes and practice like crazy. The classes are nice but they allot zero time for free practice, it's pretty much all just drills and then "here's the test, hope you were able to nail it the first time!" So if you're struggling with one particular kind of skill, and the drills weren't long enough for you to learn as you go, you're kinda boned.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

I'll be at Backfire, likely. If you see a Brammo Empulse R with ridiculous Givi saddlebags, give a holler.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Backfire was fun. Got a lot of questions about the Empulse. Curious to see if I can make it up to Anacortes on Friday on a single charge by taking SR9 up.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Have there been any updates to the Washington lane splitting bill because holy poo poo downtown Seattle gridlock at 4pm will never not be a nightmare.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Just stop in at a City Target or something and get some cheapo $5 gardening gloves if it's just for Evergreen. You won't be going over 20 mph for most of the course, the gear is just for legal liability. Upgrade when you're really out riding.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

So I totally put a deposit on a bike last Saturday :getin:

The weather was pretty lovely on and off so I didn't actually buy it that day. I think I'm going to try my hand at hot doggin it back to Seattle from Bham on WA9 this week if the weather clears up a bit.

Am I going to die a lot, or just a little? :iiam:

Have you ridden much? SR9 is okay since you can go 40/50, but for about one week after training anything 30+ MPH was pant-making GBS threads territory, took me a while to work up the familiarity to feel confident on the highway. Worst case, budget the day and take it slow on surface streets coming down.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Is it just me or is it unseasonably cold? Just had to order heated gear for the first time because under 40 degrees with my RevIt H20 gloves is utter clammy hell.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

I need reliable short-notice motorcycle shipping if anyone has a favorite company. Moving to LA for a spell and want the bike there ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Got it sorted. Trust Trailer Dan for everything. The other bidder had no reviews and used allcaps with a hotmail address which had never ever ended well for me.

• Locked thread