Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Um, were these pants like, strapped to a rack or something? Because I cannot for the life of me figure out how someone's pants can fly off in the wind while they are being worn :psyduck:

e: were they like chaps or something? Do they button up on the sides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I thought about those, but I can't imagine tear-away riding pants. "Whoops, I'm going down, good thing I have my *rrrippppp* well, poo poo, I guess I don't"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just to get these out of the way -- the cost of operation is not going to make any difference for you. A 5 mile commute will cost like 35 cents of gasoline on a Ninja 300, or 15 cents of electricity on a Zero. And since modern gasoline engines are so reliable that you can expect no major failures from a starter bike as long as you own it, all the Zero gets you out of is oil changes and chains. (i.e. you'll still have to do tires and brakes).

That said, I think a Zero would be a fine starter bike if:

- you're okay with not learning to operate a clutch and gearbox, like every other motorcycle in the world has
- you're okay with dropping and damaging a $10,000 motorcycle that you may be making payments on
- you leave it in eco mode for the first several months, because they have torque output ranging from "middleweight supersport" to "more than a literbike"

Basically they are super cool and would make great commuter bikes, but the financial reasons to buy one are bullshit, they're pretty expensive for something that you should expect to damage at least a little bit, and if you plan to try other motorcycles later (as everyone does) you're hurting yourself by not learning to shift.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 30, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Verge posted:

I also wanna point out that batteries, historically, are not very shock resistant.

:confused: They're solid-state. What issues are you thinking about?

Verge posted:

Also, am I the only one that feels that new riders should have to go without ABS? Am I just being one of those anti-future fogies?

I think new riders should still practice threshold braking, but no, it's an extremely valuable safety feature and I don't think there's any reason to avoid having ABS on your first bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bizwank posted:

More like 5 cents, but I get your point. Cost isn't really a big factor for me, it's more about not owning another internal combustion vehicle; our electricity (in Seattle) is super cheap and green so I'm trying to use it instead of fossil fuels as much as possible (my next car will almost certainly be a full electric).

Ok so it's 70 cents per day for the EX250 vs. 10 cents per day for the Zero. You save $150 in gas over the course of a 50 week work-year assuming you ride every day. You'll pay off the difference between your bike and a EX250 in just fifty years! :P

I mean, not to poop on your idea, but you will be saving no money and making no difference to the planet. The only reason to own an electric bike right now is to say you own an electric bike. Which is cool, but make sure you're clear about that.

bizwank posted:

I already have a fast torquey car and I'm almost 40, so I'm not looking for a cheap thrill, more of a solution to not driving a whole car everywhere with just me in it.

Have you ridden a motorcycle before? :unsmigghh:

Unless you've got something with like 400+ WHP, your car will feel like a slow turd after riding any of these electric bikes.

If you really don't care about motorcycling in itself and you just want something to replace your commute, I would recommend buying a scooter or a small used gas-powered bike. If you're dead-set on an electric motorcycle, I'd suggest the Brammo Enertia, which is more like an electric scooter but should fit your commute just great. If you want a Zero, they're all overkill, so pick and choose for your budget and follow all the other newbie recommendations.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 1, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

Even a midsize entry level bike will out-accelerate a modern muscle car, and actual fast, street legal bikes put down times on regular touring tires that, in a car at the drag strip, would require a roll cage and fire extinguisher to be let on the track and warmed up Hoosier drag slicks to make those times.

The Zero SR, with stock tires, hits 60 in 3.3 seconds.

Cars in that class, +/- 0.1 seconds:

2010 Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SV
2016 Dodge Viper ACR
1997 McLaren F1
2016 Tesla Model X P90D 'Ludicrous Speed'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the escape goat posted:

considering buying a bike and learning how to ride; my father is a Harley guy and the dude I'm dating has an old Honda; both cruisers. I'm more into the idea of getting a sportbike, but don't really know where to start or want to spend a bunch of cash.

What little poking around I've done and my father going HARLEY FOREVER kinda leads me to looking at Buells, more specifically a Blast because they seem like they're 100% geared toward new riders.

Any takes on if they're decent or if they're simply cheap garbage?

Read the newbie thread in this very forum! (You should be getting a Ninja 250).

• Locked thread