Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Either way, stay off I-84.

Very much this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

B.Wales! posted:

So my plan is to arrive in Port Angeles on Friday morning, ride Hurricane Ridge then head west towards the coast and south on 101 to explore Portland for the afternoon, where I'll be spending some money at Rich's cigars. Then I've got a place to stay in Vancouver, so I'm thinking I'll crash there and try to do a nice day trip loop in northern Oregon to do on Saturday, then I'll head back up I-5 through Tacoma on the way home Sunday morning, unless anyone has a better alternative route. I try not to do more than about 6 hours on the bike per day. Thanks everyone for the advice.

You really don't want to do I-5. It's the least interesting road you can take for hundreds of miles in any direction, and is boring as hell on a bike.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

quote:

I already have a fast torquey carand I'm almost 40, so I'm not looking for a cheap thrill

I can see you've never ridden a bike before if you think your car is 'fast'.

Even a midsize entry level bike will out-accelerate a modern muscle car, and actual fast, street legal bikes put down times on regular touring tires that, in a car at the drag strip, would require a roll cage and fire extinguisher to be let on the track and warmed up Hoosier drag slicks to make those times.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Pope Mobile posted:

For anyone that rides in Portland, I'm asssuming/hoping you know about Germantown road. I somehow road the entirety of it (just off of 26 to the St Johns bridge) without a single car in front of or behind me.
It was amazing.

Judging from how much my coworker bitches about his commute over Germantown Rd, I'm not inclined to believe your fanciful story without photographic proof.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Skier posted:

Get your old man suit, PDX people: http://www.aerostich.com/popup16or .

Holy crap, and like just a few blocks from me too. Definitely going to this tomorrow or Saturday.

I just wish I had the scratch for a 'stich right now, but getting one would cost more than my current bike cost, soooo... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

They are worth it and you can use them on any bike

Let me rephrase that: I will buy a $1000+ suit after I can scrape together cash for a new rear tire to replace the bald one I currently have, and get a clutch and brake lever that aren't snapped off/bent from the PO's crashing of it. Also maybe once I can get some new plastics for the tail so my subframe isn't just hanging out in the air with no way to lock my passenger seat.

I really want a nice waterproof one piece for commuting, but it's kinda low on my bike priorities at the moment.

• Locked thread