Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
All of Highway 20. Past Tonasket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

Some day I will :allears:

That's where it gets good. Tonasket to Kettle is really fun and scenic.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
N Fork Rd / NF-19 out of Oakridge/Westfir past Box Canyon Guard Station, past Cougar Reservoir on Aufderheide Dr, to 126 near Rainbow. haven't done this yet, but on the list.

Quartzville / NF-11 from Sweet Home to 22 south of Marion Forks. incredible, 20 out of 10.

McKenzie Pass watch for gravel at apexes

Beaver to Willamina fun coast connector up to McMinnville area, very roller coastery.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bike: Pack Buell
Years ridden: 10ish
Down for: pavement or gravel roads, with scenery, away from the city

I need to get a better dirt bike and get back out to Walker regularly

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Word is they'll try again next session or whatever.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I want to get out every Saturday that isn't all lovely. Things standing in my way: slick fallen leaves all over the road, flag football games.

Got up to rat tap pass a couple weekends ago and then tried last weekend but had to turn around due to some fallen birch trees in the road.

I suppose a chainsaw goes on my xmas list.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You don't have gardening or work gloves hanging around in your garage or shed? Those are fine for the course.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yep, I'd get in the left lane and cruise at least until WA530 - Hwy 9 north from there is nice.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bham to Seattle (or the other way I can't really tell) in 7 hours? Sounds like an adventure

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Nah we usually get our real cold weather done in November/December. What was it, 1988 or 89 when we had that super snowy November?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's a hack. Judging by the driveshaft, it's a Ural 2WD hack.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Have you checked Bent Bike?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't know much about Vancouver Island but I've done a bunch of touring in California down to Pismo and all over Oregon.

Motorcycles generally get preferential treatment on ferries; first on/first off, and on WA state ferries they expect you to just cut the line to the front, so if you're gonna tour and ferries are involved, I'd leave the truck at home. Might be worth it to ferry across to Anacortes and take the ferry from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend. Washington around the Olympic Penninsula from Port Townsend is worth riding. Neah Bay is pretty cool. Hurricane Ridge is pretty cool. Definitely not super slab anywhere near there.

Oregon coast is cool. You can't go wrong from there all the way to SF. Remember to do the Avenue of Giants in northern California instead of sticking on 101 and make sure to take the turn at Leggett by the drive through tree to get to the coast.

The rest of Oregon: holy poo poo just get out of the city and it's awesome. Quartzville Rd/NF-11 near Sweet Home is transcendent and McKenzie Pass is cool as hell with the twisty roads and giant lava flows. Bend is a fun town and the scenery from there to Dayville and then north to Biggs Junction is super. Then the ride westbound on I-84 through the gorge, gotta see. Maybe go on the Washington side to avoid superslab. Most of this youtube is in Oregon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYnnCa6xIeE

I'm gonna get out to Oregon again this summer and check out Crack in the Ground. e: and this https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43....4ab32df!1m0!3e0

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 15, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Walker valley orv park. Try rat trap pass too

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 31, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd imagine the jeep trails are doable on a big bike too. I mean, in 1st gear with the clutch halfway in.

But there are definitely a million cool places to ride up near Darrington. Rat Trap Pass is here (no idea about conditions now, it's probably snowy pretty low, I've stopped due to snow there in late June before) https://www.google.com/maps/dir/48....297b621!1m0!3e0

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 2, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Rode the Ulysses out around Monroe for a bit. Passed a guy on High Bridge Road going the other way on a Grom. Day: made.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Fear the box maneuver!

Actually, don't. Just drag your rear brake.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Whoah, wait, what? Did somebody from SEATTLE use the words "only about an hour north of Seattle" ?

Are you not a King County Flat Earther?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ADINSX posted:

do people from Seattle not bother leaving the city?

"Edmonds? It takes me an hour to get from Ballard to Capitol hill, I'm not in it for a road trip!"

Don't worry I don't know a Seattleite self-aware enough to get the reference either.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah Fremont up out north is not too bad. I usually hop on northbound at 50th instead of 45th.

There's the Snohomish show happening next month too. Last year they had The Cossacks perform and that was pretty cool.

Lots of real nice riding out between Snohomish, Monroe, and Granite Falls, too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Link high bridge road, Ben Howard, sultan basin, and stop for the view at spada lake. Then take woods creek rd to old pipeline, and work north to granite falls. Take Jonathan road to Arlington and get home from there.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Either way, stay off I-84.

I'd do the Washington side from the Couv to White Salmon, then cross the toll bridge to Hood River and take 30 to The Dalles.

Too bad Maryhill Loops Rd. is a closed course but you get some of the same sort of road architecture on 30 south of the river.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Later dan.

Of all my disastrous Walker Valley riding, I don't think I've ever done that one. You try to wheelie and lost traction instead?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I ride walker in the winter when it sucks to be on roads.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Any of you guys been down to Crack in the Ground, near Bend? Seems like there's just miles of gravel farm road out there, true/false?

Is there a good or bad time of year to check that out?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Hey Oregon folks, I want to go camping in the Middle Sanitam Wilderness at the end of July.

Last time I rode NF-11 it looked like folks just pitch tents or set up RVs in the large turn-outs in the 2-lane section. Is that legit? Can I just find some space and set up? Do I need to pay somebody?

I want to check out Crack in the Ground and it looks like Middle Sanitam would be a stop along a 2 night round trip.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Seconding Hurricane Ridge as a cool little detour if you have the time.

Most of 101 through Washington is not real scenic. Mostly forestry land. Gets nice past Raymond though.

If you have time in Oregon, check out NF-11. Get to Sweet Home and go through town eastbound. Look for Quartzville Road, turn left there. Keep going. When you get to the highway, left takes you back toward Salem and Portland.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
101 PA to Portland will take you longer than you probably expect.

Alt route northbound. Strongly recommend that early part out of Carson. It's longer than 6 hours though https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Por...2d48.118146!3e0

Not a lot of interesting stuff between Portland and Olympia along the I-5 corridor

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
After Alaska, I'm sticking to smaller rides for the rest of the summer... got a 3 day loop planned for the last weekend in July. Day 1 Edmonds to Steamboat Rock State Park, tent camping. I've never taken Badger Mountain Rd. out of Wenatchee, usually I just follow 97/2. We'll see how that route is. Day 2 try to find the longest route from Steamboat Rock to Kettle Falls that includes Keller Ferry. Day 3 blitz WA20 through Winthrop, home.

If there are no wildfires, life should be good.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Cross-town Seattle commute is like TDub or CRF250F territory if you want to go cheap with it. Don't worry they don't make cool engine noises.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Braincloud posted:

From experience, the ride on 20 from Kettle Falls back to Edmonds/Seattle is a loooong day. The roads are bendy and turny and awesome. Beautiful ride!

It is, and the scenery is better westbound than east

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 1, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Do any NF-11?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slim Pickens posted:

Just a reminder that BackFire is tomorrow night in Ballard, down by Hilliard's brewery.

:(

I have another tire to put on and dinner with mom tonight

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A good time to practice out on the road without a ton of traffic to deal with is crack of dawn on a nice Sunday. Ride out to Snohomish and Monroe the back way -180th to Broadway Ave to Springhetti Rd. and Old Snohomish-Monroe road are nice and easy and pretty scenic.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Between Deception Pass and Anacortes is Mt. Erie. Go there if you're out that way.

Or...

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1603/Routes/Sultan-Basin-Road.html#sthash.dFVVckfL.dpbs

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1262/Routes/Ben-Howard-Road.html#sthash.py7YYrxk.dpbs

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/749/Routes/Highbridge.html#sthash.3ZJXwFgw.dpbs

You can connect all three in a nice half-day ride.

Sultan Basin Rd. has a 7 mile gravel section to Spada Lake, which is pretty cool, about where the tight corners start.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Read this thread, it's short and it's got a few suggestions.

clutchpuck posted:

After Alaska, I'm sticking to smaller rides for the rest of the summer... got a 3 day loop planned for the last weekend in July. Day 1 Edmonds to Steamboat Rock State Park, tent camping. I've never taken Badger Mountain Rd. out of Wenatchee, usually I just follow 97/2. We'll see how that route is. Day 2 try to find the longest route from Steamboat Rock to Kettle Falls that includes Keller Ferry. Day 3 blitz WA20 through Winthrop, home.

If there are no wildfires, life should be good.

I'm back from this. It was a really great ride.

Steamboat Rock State Park is probably the best State Park in WA even if you just want to chill out and sleep in a tent.

It's really loving big.

This ferry was small though.

The former captain of the Sanpoil was riding his Harley across that day.

Friday and Saturday were HOT. I think we saw 103F in Coulee City Friday and it was like 101 in Kettle Saturday. Dry heat, at least.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ever hike the rock?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Didn't even do the park's "thing", thought it was bland...

The swim area with the sand bar in the punch bowl is probably the best public swim spot in the state too. The water is crystal clear and there aren't a bunch of lake weeds everywhere.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Are you the guy who blaps his SM around Perrinville?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
He's right though. I haven't had any real business being in Seattle proper for over 10 years and I am happier for it.

And yeah, just outside or even on the edge of the metro there's some nice riding. I just discovered Prospector Hwy on the way into Stanwood last weekend. Gorgeous little run by some farms along the edge of the Stillaguamish delta. Just following the Stilly up is full of nice roads.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 16, 2016

• Locked thread