Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Does anyone have any experience with Evergreen Motorcycle Training? They are unusually easy for me to get to.

http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.org

I'm thinking about using them to get my sidecar/trike endorsement. I may also sign up for a two-wheeler class too if it ends up being any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I moved into an apartment with a garage and I'm thinking about getting a vehicle. I've always loved the look of the Urals and am thinking why not feed my third-life crisis by getting a russian piece of poo poo with a sidecar?! I'm supposed to go get my WA license Thursday and I figured I should sign up for the sidecar training class once I qualify for in-state tuition. It's only $125 and according to the website, they provide the rig and a weekend's worth of training both classroom and on the bikes. I know about the way the state structured training and testing and figured the quality varied significantly between sites and was hoping someone could chime in on whether this place is worth it.

Anyways, I haven't ridden on a motorcycle since I was young (like 12?) dicking around on a minidirt bike so it's going to be a bit of a trip. If I like it, I can further consider getting one and I'll have my endorsement already. If not, it sounds like a fun weekend anyways and I could simply not use the endorsement.

Either outcome is waaaaay better than buying one and realizing I hate it :shepspends:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Does anyone have recommendations for a good gear shop in the Seattle area? I just need to get some gloves and look into helmets at the moment, but I will likely be needing more stuff in the future.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I'm still busing it for the foreseeable future - some of those places might as well be on the moon :yosbutt:

A few are close enough to check out, but I may just end up getting super cheap gloves online for the time being just to meet Evergreen's minimum PPE requirements for their training course. I can worry about getting quality gloves later if/when I get the rest of the gear I'll need.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Yeah, I don't think I'll need titanium reinforced knuckles for driving around cones in a parking lot. I'm just (overly) concerned about showing up after waiting forever for the class and getting the boot, heh. I think I have some Mechanix-type gloves kicking around somewhere, I should see if I can find those.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

legendof posted:

Someone in my Evergreen class showed up with swim goggles instead of the "sunglasses or helmet with visor" that are required and was allowed to stay. I think you'll be fine.

My paperwork says "goggles" on the list of eye PPE and I had the same thought.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Trip report: Evergreen S/TEP training is pretty awesome. They had a Ural I could putter around on which was great. I found that getting the tub off the ground and keeping it steady was pretty hard - now I need to get one and practice my flying :angel:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Jesus christ, every time Enumclaw came up (it did a lot?) during my course, this older guy in class would loudly proclaim "THAT'S HORSE COUNTRY" and then do a very obvious "hey, c'mon guys, someone got that right?" look all around.

Of course, I giggled like an idiot every time because they gently caress horses out there.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
So I totally put a deposit on a bike last Saturday :getin:

The weather was pretty lovely on and off so I didn't actually buy it that day. I think I'm going to try my hand at hot doggin it back to Seattle from Bham on WA9 this week if the weather clears up a bit.

Am I going to die a lot, or just a little? :iiam:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I was a bit concerned about keeping up with traffic on such a slow rig, but I found a couple old gopro videos on youtube of a fellow pulling past traffic on i5 and also on i90 crossing the bridge. I was looking for the i90 stuff specifically because I don't want to have to drive around the lake! The guy didn't seem to have any trouble keeping up with traffic at all.

I was thinking wa9 from ferndale all the way down to 228th over to Lake City Way. I drove down it on the way back from the dealership and it's a well maintained road and quite a few spots are limited to 25 or 35mph. Other than some fun looking switchbacks as it goes through some hills and around a lake, it's not too bad. Once you get to Lack City, it's pretty much a straight shot into the city from there by either by hopping on I5 for a couple exits (only a couple spots with merging to deal with) or taking poo poo surface streets through the u-district.

I think corners are going to be okay (throw some weight in the tub and lean) I'm mostly worried about hitting poo poo on the right with the sidecar. I'm expecting lane position is going to be the tricky part so I'm going to endeavor to not slam it into stuff. I'm going to try and find insurance before I do this though just in case lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
It's a ural :getin:

They have a max output of around 40hp but with the front profile of a small car. My understanding is that hitting 70 requires basically redlining the engine and you're going to be maxing out at 55 going up a long hill, but I haven't taken one up to those speeds yet.

Anyways, the video didn't look too bad and that should have been a carbed bike based on the posting dates. My rig is newer with fuel injection and should have marginally more oomph but we'll see if that pans out.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 3, 2015

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
If you get your license suspended, can you still drive a 50cc legally? Zoom zoom!

VVV Right, you need a license, not an endorsement :downs:

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 4, 2015

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Trip report: Survived. 7ish hours is too long for a first ride imho. I know this now.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
It's a pretty decked out Gear Up. I got it slightly used and I think it rides pretty nice. Supposedly the previous owner decided he hated how it (sidecars in general) rode and traded it back in for a two wheeler after 600 miles. Hopefully I didn't inherit someone's poo poo box!

I did get it up to 70 in a flat straight away - she was none too happy, but she did it.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

Bham to Seattle (or the other way I can't really tell) in 7 hours? Sounds like an adventure

Spent a couple hours dicking around in Bellingham/ferndale then took WA9 real slow. I also got turned around in Bothell somehow and ended up accidentally making a 'quick' detour to Echo Lake :psyduck: nothing terrible, it just took forever.

edit: I just noticed I'm around half the posts in this thread. My friends are all tired of hearing about this poo poo though so I'm probably going to be keeping it up, ha!

Edit 2: I wasn't 100% what was going on when it happened (you can see/hear me slow down and go wtf) but when i checked the video I am very glad I wasn't turning left off of lake city way!

Watch the white car to the left. https://youtube.com/watch?v=lrlh87eBa0g

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 5, 2015

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
It was nice enough this weekend to go out and practice my side wheelies :getin: The last few days have been miserable once the sun's gone down though.

http://gfycat.com/GrandioseTornAustraliansilkyterrier

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

It's a hack. Judging by the driveshaft, it's a Ural 2WD hack.

It's a 2014 Gear Up. It's my first bike and it's stupid fun to drive around. I got it a few weeks ago and I can't wait for spring/summer to roll back around again.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Drive....? For a whole hour?!? :psyduck:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Is anyone familiar with Motoshed? It meets my needs okay but is overkill and more money than I should spend on renting shop space.

http://www.motoshedseattle.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://gfycat.com/SomeArtisticHound

Just cruising along by the Baker Dam with some folks.

• Locked thread