Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
De Gea has signed a new four year deal with an option to extend another year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

With the Chelsea manager gone, Martínez, cup of coffee in hand, said: “When he beat us 6-3 last season he was such a nice man. I prefer him like that.”

Hahahaha loving quality, Martinez has so much class

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Liverpool don't pay the same wages though. That said, that Liverpool line up last night should have been smashing through loving Carlisle at Anfield rather than scraping through off some shoddy Carlisle penalties.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

PirateBob posted:

If that's their excuse, here's an idea: buy half as many wastemen, attract better ones with twice the wages.

capex isn't the same as opex though when it comes to running a business. Transfer fees are a one off expenditure and wages are an entirely different kettle of fish. Like I said in the league cup thread, Liverpool's issue is ongoing revenue, one they massively dropped the ball on in the 90s/00s by not upgrading their stadium and capitalising on the Liverpool "brand" when their stock was still high. Now they're in/around league placings that other similarly sized teams like Spurs are, except Spurs can at least offer living in London.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ewar Woowar posted:

I think this is what saddens me the most. Rafa made so many positive changes to the youth and scouting set up (which Rodgers has benefitted from hugely) and now I feel that's all been undone and we're back to square one again.

Were the scouting changes that good? You signed some loving dross under Benitez too.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ewar Woowar posted:

I know it's fun to paint Rodgers out as an inept moron but he played his part in us coming second too. He got the best out of Sturridge (who was fantastic along side Suarez or without him), Coutinho (who had been wildly inconsistent at Inter), and managed to integrate a whole lot of youth successfully (Sterling, Flanagan, Wisdom etc).

Regardless, I think he should be let go. There are better options out there and I think the current team needs a firmer, more experienced manager- one that can sort out the mess off the pitch too.

Rodgers won't be remembered as a great or even good Liverpool manager but the season before last was the most enjoyable and exciting Liverpool I've seen so I'll always like him for that.

Coutinho is only 23 and made *checks wikipedia* 28 appearances for Inter over his entire time there, of course a young player struggles for consistent performances if they're not playing consistently with a few injuries thrown in. It's hardly a managerial master stroke that an obviously talented player gets some maturity and consistency to their performances as they age, however that said, take away the occasional wonder strike and he's not been particularly fantastic for Liverpool of late either.

Sterling is no longer at the club and Rodgers/Liverpool hilariously mis managed that whole saga, where are Wisdom and Flanagan now?

About the only thing you've said there that can really be credited to Rodgers, is Sturridge playing well, but is that going to continue now that when both Sturridge and Benteke are fit, it's obvious Sturridge will go to his most hated of positions, wide right, the reason he left Chelsea? Otherwise Benteke becomes a very expensive bench warmer.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Star Error posted:

Flanagan has gone back to his day job starring in the Bash Street Kids

:xd:

EvilHawk posted:

Coutinho was injured a hell of a lot at Inter iirc, so not really going to give Rodgers much credit for keeping him fit. Playing him deeper turned out to be a bit of a masterstroke though.

The Sterling situation wasn't mismanaged. He wanted out and we got what we wanted for him. Maybe we could've kept him, but it would have been for massively inflated wages and I'm not keen on players holding the club to ransom.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest that Sturridge will be forced out wide. He played up front last weekend with Benteke and Ings, in a front three very similar to the one two years ago. Now Benteke is injured Sturridge is going to be our main striker.

Sterling's situation was mismanaged though, the public nature of the transfer saga and how Rodgers made use of one of his two best players during that run of poor results in the back end of last season.

You can't refuse to pay your best players the wages that the clubs you want to be competing with for trophies/league positions will pay them, then sell them on, and then still expect to make the top four at the expense of one of those clubs. Nor can fans be glad Sterling didn't get what he wanted for him to be sold to a club that will finish higher than you this season, then bitch when you're not challenging for the title or even fourth spot.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 25, 2015

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Rojo and McNair out injured so we'll get to see some funny Phil Jones faces this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blinkz0rz posted:

lol at anyone thinking a geordie is anything remotely approaching attractive

Or a Norwich where they're all inbred

• Locked thread