Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Hello, it's the international football thread.

It's exactly one season before euro 2016, the first European Championships to have 24 teams! Theres a few more rounds of qualifiers in September and October, with the playoffs in November.

===========================
2014-15 in International Football
===========================

Germany, the world-masters, lost to Poland and drew with Ireland in qualifiers. It wont matter because its impossible for good teams not to qualify for the new expanded Euros.

Wales are now the tenth best team in the world.

It all kicked off in Belgrade between Serbia and Albania.

Wayne Rooney is now only one goal behind Bobby Charlton's England record.

San Marino ended a 61-game losing streak with a goalless draw against Estonia. It was their first ever point in Euro qualifiers.

Vincent Kompany almost scored a worldie

http://gfycat.com/EmbarrassedCoordinatedEasternnewt

=============================
Euro 2016 qualifying group standings
=============================

I love international football!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Just a few more wins and we'll be going to france boys!!

Squad for Cyprus away and Israel home:

Goalkeepers: Wayne Hennessey (Crystal Palace), Danny Ward (Liverpool, on loan with Aberdeen), Owain Fon Williams (Inverness Caledonian Thistle)

Defenders: Ashley Williams (Swansea City), James Chester (West Bromwich Albion), James Collins (West Ham United), Ben Davies (Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Gunter (Reading), Neil Taylor (Swansea City), Adam Henley (Blackburn Rovers), Ashley Richards (Fulham)

Midfielders: Andy King (Leicester City), Joe Ledley (Crystal Palace), Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal), Jordan Williams (Liverpool, on loan with Swindon Town), David Edwards (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Shaun MacDonald (AFC Bournemouth)

Forwards: Gareth Bale (Real Madrid), Hal Robson-Kanu (Reading), Sam Vokes (Burnley), Simon Church (MK Dons), David Cotterill (Birmingham City), Tom Lawrence (Leicester City, on loan with Blackburn Rovers)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Wales is England

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

atomic gog posted:

Not at counting apparently

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Blue Star Error posted:

Not at counting apparently

Doh!

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

sebzilla posted:

Wales is England

it is

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

atomic gog posted:

It's amazing that all it takes to be the best team in the world is to not win two finals in a row

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
We live in a world where the current World Cup holders are ranked lower than Belgium and the only two teams with a 100% record in Euro qualifying are England and Slovakia

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

HJB posted:

We live in a world where the current World Cup holders are ranked lower than Belgium and the only two teams with a 100% record in Euro qualifying are England and Slovakia

Belgium are really good though

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Yes but it's Belgium

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

HJB posted:

Yes but it's Belgium

Don't worry, Hazard will infect them with Chelsitus or sleep with someones girlfriend and they'll be poo poo again

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I hope Iceland win their games

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For fucks sake not this poo poo again. I was just starting to enjoy the football and all

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

You used my comment as the title :unsmith:

I know the expanded format makes it a poo poo load easier but it would be cool if Northern Island and Wales both qualify.

Also the expanded format is loving retarded and I hate it.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Guam is actually a fun cool team and Gary White is a nice dude.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

HJB posted:

England are really good

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Hiddink is gone, the Netherlands are probably still poo poo. Hoping for a point against Iceland.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sebzilla posted:

Wales is better than England

Todays fifa rankings agree with you.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hope Germany smash Germany B and Ireland sweep up some serious points and GD assist Gibraltar and Georgia.

Sadly Germany will probably draw with Germany B and Ireland will scrape two 1-0s

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

In an hour and a half you can watch Australia play Bangladesh in a World Cup qualifier

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/08/30/watch-socceroos-road-russia-sbs-september

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
I'm finding the continued resurgence of Tom Rogic extremely cool, I hope his legs don't explode again.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Slight one way traffic for Australia (3-0 after 20).

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
This isn't a match, this is a cat toying with a mouse.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Goddamn poverty induced delayed SBS broadcast I hate you so much

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Tongues posted:

Goddamn poverty induced delayed SBS broadcast I hate you so much

I'm here with ya, up the roos

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Leckie has neymar hair but it's nothing compared to Davidson's hair lmao its au bad

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
This feeling of watching the Socceroos and not immediately getting their poo poo pushed in every couple of minutes is loving bizarre

I'm also enjoying the You Fat Bastard for a keeper who looks like he have never eaten anything other than celery before

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Tongues posted:

This feeling of watching the Socceroos and not immediately getting their poo poo pushed in every couple of minutes is loving bizarre

I'm also enjoying the You Fat Bastard for a keeper who looks like he have never eaten anything other than celery before

It's Oceania all over again

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

It's Oceania all over again

Just put us in UEFA already - we can play our home games in Shepherds Bush in London

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I feel real bad for this Bangladesh keeper, he's real bad but so is everyone else, playing for your country shouldn't involve just having to pick the ball out of the net

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

I feel real bad for this Bangladesh keeper, he's real bad but so is everyone else, playing for your country shouldn't involve just having to pick the ball out of the net

I don't know if it possible to get per-player possession stats, but he surely has had the ball the most by far. The heat map is gonna look like the sun rose in the Bangladeshi goalsquare

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
There ya go, Milligan and Mooy together have had more possession than the entire Bangladesh team.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

There's not a single player on the Bangladesh team with the physique of a semi pro athlete, which I guess is why they aren't even chasing after the ball at any point

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
The 6-4-0 formation has really worked for them.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Believe it or not each of those players is a professional soccer player, in the sense that they are paid to play the sport. The entire team plays in the Bangladeshi Premier League, and has a Transfer Markt total value of 25,000 euros. For comparison, that is half the amount that Ballarat FC in the NPL is worth.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Tongues posted:

Believe it or not each of those players is a professional soccer player, in the sense that they are paid to play the sport. The entire team plays in the Bangladeshi Premier League, and has a Transfer Markt total value of 25,000 euros. For comparison, that is half the amount that Ballarat FC in the NPL is worth.

Paid full time? I'm surprised if the Bangladeshi Premier League is a full time professional affair.

e. dude coming on has sick frosted tips as well as his awesome rat tail ftw

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Bangladesh is cricket mad and has a test match record of W7 L71. I don't know if there's a less successful sporting nation.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

Paid full time? I'm surprised if the Bangladeshi Premier League is a full time professional affair.

e. dude coming on has sick frosted tips as well as his awesome rat tail ftw

Honestly couldn't tell you, there is bugger all info out there at all on Bangladeshi soccer.

Bangladesh might need a Ballotelli-esque haircut restriction clause

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

thassa decent hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Monday Bandele posted:

Bangladesh is cricket mad and has a test match record of W7 L71. I don't know if there's a less successful sporting nation.

That's awesome, we all love underdogs- I know gently caress all about cricket except that all the teams seem to play each other like 50 times a year for weeks on end.

Yesss Moooooooy

• Locked thread