Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Mods: If this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know and close or move the thread.

O'Reilly, the big publisher for programming and computer science stuff, is having a big sale until September 18th (US Pacific Time). 50% off all eBooks and video lectures.

:siren: Here's the link: http://shop.oreilly.com/category/deals/b2s-special.do?imm_mid=0d7dc0&cmp=em-na-books-videos-lp-promo_b2s5_20150903 :siren:

The discount code, in case you don't notice it in the above link, is B2S5.

Please recommend quality eBooks and video lectures itt for other goons to buy and never actually finish.

(Again, if this is the wrong place to post about this please let me know... but considering the stuff that's on sale here I figure that it deserves its own thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Programming Python, 4th Ed has some great info on tkinter, systems programming, and network programming that I found very enlightening. I found it for 8 bucks in print at Fry's though(seriously), so maybe shop around.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
I found "Programming Computer Vision with Python" to be really useful for homography and image correspondence. A lot of the matrix work is a little bit hard to translate into code at times, but this does a good job of kinda' laying out things and building upon itself without immediately going into the Python trope of, "Let's Use a Library!" (Which, admittely, they do for SIFT, but I'll allow it because everyone does that for SIFT.) It's a nice middleground between the very abstract formulation and the very applied OpenCV methods. It doesn't really use any OpenCV, opting instead for matrix libraries a la numpy, which means it's easy to translate into other languages when your prototype is done.

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022923.do?green=394082DE-1337-5094-0296-B43BE962F2E4&intcmp=af-mybuy-0636920022923.IP

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I bought Learning C++ by Making Games in the Unreal Engine and it's nothing special. Its title should instead be Learn C++ and then follow my step-by-step instructions to make a game in the Unreal Engine.

The first half of the book is a typical C++ tutorial. The second half is the part where you do stuff with the Unreal Engine. The first two or three chapters of that second half are covered already in the official documentation for UE4 (edit-- at least for the Blueprints stuff), but the last few chapters of the book contain actual useful information in the form of step-by-step stuff... so the only way to get the insight is to follow along piece by piece.

At the very least, it's a good demonstration of how to translate what you know about working with Blueprints into how to do most of the same things via C++ instead.

I give it a 2/5 mostly because I already know enough about C++ to skip the first half of the book. If I were completely new to the language I'd probably rate it 3/5.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 6, 2015

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Programming Python, 4th Ed has some great info on tkinter, systems programming, and network programming that I found very enlightening. I found it for 8 bucks in print at Fry's though(seriously), so maybe shop around.

I really liked this book. I was able to learn python in a place where I didn't have the internet! I think I spent about $30 on it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I agree with the above poster. I bought this book a couple years ago when it was on sale because I also heard about the tkinter recommendation from elsewhere on the internet... and it is really worth the buy. The book covers everything and the author's tone and teaching ability is pretty good.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Bumping to remind everyone that the sale ends in the next couple days. In case you were putting it off, 50% off all ebooks and videos doesn't happen every day..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

Love Stole the Day posted:

Bumping to remind everyone that the sale ends in the next couple days. In case you were putting it off, 50% off all ebooks and videos doesn't happen every day..

I've been using WCYAZ for at least two years now for 50% off ebooks. Still hasn't expired yet.

• Locked thread