Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I had a landscape company put in a new oak tree, among many other things, which totaled about 2 grand. This tree is probably pretty expensive as its 12 feet tall or so now. I water it pretty much every 3 days. About 3 weeks later it looks like poo poo. I called him and he said he'd find someone to 'find out what's going on'. They are pretty lovely and I have no confidence in their diagnosis ability. So before I go to another place, thought I'd check if SA has any resident arborists. Thanks for caring about my sick tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe
It doesn't actually look that bad, buddy. It hasn't been in the ground that long, and there may be some root stress happening, but my guess is that there is a local pest that is happily rejoicing the arrival of a new arrival. Is this the only pin oak around?

Does it freeze in your area? If so, the normal changing of the seasons will likely clear this up as the leaves drop and it enters dormancy. Oaks are tough trees; also, don't expect tree leaves to be clear of blemishes. Nature messes with stuff.

Edit: Ah, I see now that isn't a pin oak, but this still applies.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

freemason9 posted:

It doesn't actually look that bad, buddy. It hasn't been in the ground that long, and there may be some root stress happening, but my guess is that there is a local pest that is happily rejoicing the arrival of a new arrival. Is this the only pin oak around?

Does it freeze in your area? If so, the normal changing of the seasons will likely clear this up as the leaves drop and it enters dormancy. Oaks are tough trees; also, don't expect tree leaves to be clear of blemishes. Nature messes with stuff.

Edit: Ah, I see now that isn't a pin oak, but this still applies.

Thanks. Yeah there aren't any bugs visible. Looks like a fungus or something. It is loving hot here and it will freeze this winter. So hopefully it kills the spores

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

As far as I can tell, your tree is likely suffering from its placement on one of those trendy 'vertical gardens' that are neither practical nor ecologically-friendly. I'd recommend uprooting and replanting it in the ground.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
You can also call the county extension service and they'll come out and take a look at it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

mostlygray posted:

You can also call the county extension service and they'll come out and take a look at it.

Excellent idea

Cugel the Clever posted:

As far as I can tell, your tree is likely suffering from its placement on one of those trendy 'vertical gardens' that are neither practical nor ecologically-friendly. I'd recommend uprooting and replanting it in the ground.

Lol I have vertigo from looking at those inept pics too

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Tubakia leaf spot according to him. Sounds foreign and terrorist oriented. I'll check the extension, then DHS.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
That's pretty common and usually a purely cosmetic problem. Winter will clear it up, at least for this year (it's more common in the later part of the growth cycle, so it may pop up again next autumn, spores do survive over winter in infected twigs and dead leaves). Trying to treat it would very possibly be worse for the tree's health than just letting it be, but cleaning up fallen leaves can help prevent it from spreading and reduce the odds of it cropping up again if that worries you.

Unless it's severe enough to cause your oak to drops its leaves significantly earlier than other oaks of the same species in the area do, there's nothing to worry about.

Waci fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Waci posted:

That's pretty common and usually a purely cosmetic problem. Winter will clear it up, at least for this year (it's more common in the later part of the growth cycle, so it may pop up again next autumn, spores do survive over winter in infected twigs and dead leaves). Trying to treat it would very possibly be worse for the tree's health than just letting it be, but cleaning up fallen leaves can help prevent it from spreading and reduce the odds of it cropping up again if that worries you.

Unless it's severe enough to cause your oak to drops its leaves significantly earlier than other oaks of the same species in the area do, there's nothing to worry about.

Thanks. The reason I worry is that I get a 1 yr warranty and don't want to be hosed, by yet another, landscaper. Your post and others calm my ignorant fears.

• Locked thread