Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

African AIDS cum posted:

Give offensive helmets polarized magnetization with defensive helmets. bam! no more helmet to helmet collisions.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkodTydUR0E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
While an interesting idea it would mean that players with metal plates in their heads would literally never be able to remove the helmets.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 4, 2015

Nov 6, 2002

Also, why don't they just use a tachyon field to detect when the ball crosses the goal line?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
We need some engineer goons ITT to give us what we really want: that's right I'm talking about math and a mockup

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Air bags.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Helmets should be mass produced and made of crumbling metal like cars are so it can absorb impact and then be replaced and then sold to dumb fans

"buy the helmet RGIII was wearing when he finally went down for good!"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
put pictures of scary monsters on the top of helmet so people will turn away at the last second imo

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

indigi posted:

put pictures of scary monsters on the top of helmet so people will turn away at the last second imo

ugh like Jerry Jones needs his ego inflated any more

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Tom Brady would just put opposite facing magnets in the ball so his teammates could recreate the David Tyree catch over and over

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Put airbags in the helmets so that in the event of a violent hit a big smushy air cushion comes out to prevent whiplash and other head/neck injuries.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
hear me out guys

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

NickRoweFillea posted:

We need some engineer goons ITT to give us what we really want: that's right I'm talking about math and a mockup

what if a physicist goon comes in here and just laughs at the idea

cause hahahahahaha it's a pretty dumb idea you just don't gently caress around with magnets that strong if you want to keep your fingers.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Mr. Despair posted:

what if a physicist goon comes in here and just laughs at the idea

cause hahahahahaha it's a pretty dumb idea you just don't gently caress around with magnets that strong if you want to keep your fingers.

Uh we are talking about heads not fingers.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
First I pictured all teammate linemen's heads getting sucked towards one another at the line

Then I pictured them reaching across and having their heads repelled as they tried to grab each other

I think this is a brilliant idea and it needs to be implemented immediately

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

African AIDS cum posted:

Uh we are talking about heads not fingers.

well if you assume everyone is wearing straightjackets on the field to keep their limbs out of harms way, sure. Makes blocking tricky though.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hmmm after thinking about this I think it would probably cause a lot of neck injuries

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

well if you assume everyone is wearing straightjackets on the field to keep their limbs out of harms way, sure. Makes blocking tricky though.
- Riddell CEO scrambling to spread misinformation and lies

Nov 6, 2002

Magicpants posted:

hear me out guys

Not far enough.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

indigi posted:

then kids couldnt watch football because it would be too scary.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"buy the helmet RGIII was wearing when he finally went down for good!"

I think that might have already happened

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

African AIDS cum posted:

How about you peace out of this thread with your meta posting

not metaposting but simply discussing a previous thread you made!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

NickRoweFillea posted:

Fine, Ill run some numbers tonight.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ok, after like 30 seconds of work, for current available materials, and even if you included some electromagnetic system, in order to generate the forces necessary to negate an average NFL tackle, you would need to carry weight that makes the player completely ineffective AND you would likely cause a lot of whiplash and internal decapitation.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Make them wear those old school neck things linebackers used to have

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

Ok, after like 30 seconds of work, for current available materials, and even if you included some electromagnetic system, in order to generate the forces necessary to negate an average NFL tackle, you would need to carry weight that makes the player completely ineffective AND you would likely cause a lot of whiplash and internal decapitation.

In my professional opinion football would be a lot cooler with decapitation in it.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Just visualizing the offensive linemen getting into a huddle then getting a delay of game flag because they couldn't unstick their helmets from each other is loving glorious and we need to implement magnet helmets so bad.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chichevache posted:

In my professional opinion football would be a lot cooler with decapitation in it.

we should just have hurling instead

how no one is getting decapitated in hurling is something I don't understand

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Just visualizing the offensive linemen getting into a huddle then getting a delay of game flag because they couldn't unstick their helmets from each other is loving glorious and we need to implement magnet helmets so bad.

The helmets would be the same charge so they would repel and make huddles impossible

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Good point. Thinking further on that though if they were ooposed it would make for some glorious run plays where two linemen just drag the running back to a first down woth their helmets stuck together because a three-headed magnet monster would be impossible to tackle. Severe neck injuries notwithstanding that would be glorious.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

I had a friend in 7th grade who was fun to hang around except for the fact that he was a die hard ICP fan and really vocally atheist. This was before they made their turn. I always wonder whether he flipped one way or the other.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

swickles posted:

*Walks out of Schutt headquarters carrying large sacks of money*

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What if you gave all football players injections into their skull to make them thicker, much like a neanderthal, and place velcro along the lining of the brain and inner skull so its less inclined to shake around?

e: My best idea yet. Body suits for the players that link them to giant robot football bodies like in the hit movie Avatar only the players feel what the robots feel scaled down to a human except at the head level so everyone can still get hurt in preseason and ruin people's hopes and dreams.

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 5, 2015

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
E: Beaten repeatedly

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 5, 2015

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

What if you gave all football players injections into their skull to make them thicker, much like a neanderthal, and place velcro along the lining of the brain and inner skull so its less inclined to shake around?

e: My best idea yet. Body suits for the players that link them to giant robot football bodies like in the hit movie Avatar only the players feel what the robots feel scaled down to a human except at the head level so everyone can still get hurt in preseason and ruin people's hopes and dreams.

Too expensive. Meanwhile everyone has tons of magnets even on their fridge.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

swickles posted:

Yeah but they wouldn't be concussed would they???????

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
There's no such thing as a dumb question, AAC :)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

nerve posted:

lies

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Reminder they have magnetic trains that are very safe, nobody is killed by them. The big helmet lobby wants to spread panic re: magnets.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
When are we going to have HUDs in helmets like Future XFL has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

nerve posted:

Also no such thing as a magnetic monopole.

• Locked thread