Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Athanatos posted:

When are we going to have HUDs in helmets like Future XFL has?

what a stupid way to write the score. I hate that already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Metapod posted:

The helmets would be the same charge so they would repel and make huddles impossible

This would own when two players jump up to do the "air body slam" celebration and both of them get thrown away from each other

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Febreeze posted:

This would own when two players jump up to do the "air body slam" celebration and both of them get thrown away from each other

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Parmesan Basil posted:

what a stupid way to write the score. I hate that already

In the future XFL you only have to get to 29 points to win the game.

So much brain damage makes it impossible to count past 29 so measures had to be taken.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The Big Jesus posted:

Make them wear those old school neck things linebackers used to have

1) What were these things 2) did they actually do anything 3) how come no one wears them anymore

4) a few years ago wasn't there some sort of special mouthpiece that increased range of movement and reduced concussions

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

indigi posted:

4) a few years ago wasn't there some sort of special mouthpiece that increased range of movement and reduced concussions

mah dick :smugbird:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
They could easily make it so the magnets are only turned on after the ball is snapped. And they could turn off after each play, automatically. Would be very easy to do with computers

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

indigi posted:

1) What were these things 2) did they actually do anything 3) how come no one wears them anymore

Neck rolls/cowboy collars are supposed to help prevent you from injuring your neck from whiplash or sudden impacts to your head. From my limited experience playing with one in high school, they come at the cost of severely restricting your range of neck motion (and thus vision). Given the league's movements toward strengthening passing, linebackers are more often tasked with pass coverage which seems like it would be significantly harder with one on. I think the only people I see them on anymore at the pro level are fullbacks and maybe DTs. I have no idea if they provide any real benefit, but they definitely make you look badass, so yes more players should use them.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!

African AIDS cum posted:

They could easily make it so the magnets are only turned on after the ball is snapped. And they could turn off after each play, automatically. Would be very easy to do with computers

but if you turn the magnets on too fast you'll destroy the computers

what then

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
So now instead of carrying large rare earth magnets, the players are now carrying large coils of wire to use as an electromagnet, and also carrying large battery packs along with an antenna and computer controller.
This idea just keeps getting better and better.
Would love to see the reaction when the first battery pack explodes on the field.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ChocolatePancake posted:

So now instead of carrying large rare earth magnets, the players are now carrying large coils of wire to use as an electromagnet, and also carrying large battery packs along with an antenna and computer controller.
This idea just keeps getting better and better.
Would love to see the reaction when the first battery pack explodes on the field.

Just rub some dirt on it.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
give receivers jetpacks. corners too i guess

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

tranime scholar posted:

give receivers jetpacks. corners too i guess

Put a second ball on a drone and make them catch it for an extra 100 points.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Chichevache posted:

Put a second ball on a drone and make them catch it for an extra 100 points.

successfully running an air raid offense entitles that team to call in airstrikes on the opponent

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
a seismometer in the endzone that measures how hard the ball is spiked. chaos dunk-level spikes will award additional points

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

tranime scholar posted:

a seismometer in the endzone that measures how hard the ball is spiked. chaos dunk-level spikes will award additional points

Do the Pats really need any more advantages?

Actually i guess that might encourage them to keep their balls at the right pressure so gronk can spike them harder for more points.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 6, 2015

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

What if every first down you "earn" the use of a Vortex Mega Flight for 1 play?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox27e5q9fbI

Teams could sign olympic sprinters to just outrun the DB and catch 90 yard bombs. Would be sick

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!

African AIDS cum posted:

Teams could sign olympic sprinters to just outrun the DB and catch 90 yard bombs. Would be sick

Now this I could get behind.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

African AIDS cum posted:

as long as Elway doesn't somehow get royalties from it, gently caress it, sure

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
please do not poison this thread more by posting a video of John Elway, known evildoer

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I still have my Vortex Howler somewhere

Real question: why does the NFL not play a game with a Nerf Brain Ball for brain injury awareness month (a thing I just made up).

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

uh oh pancho! posted:

as long as Elway doesn't somehow get royalties from it, gently caress it, sure

After training with the Vortex Howler Elway went on to win 2 Super Bowls in a row. Marino, who mocked him at the time probably has a lot of regret.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
This thread reminds me of a dream I had the other night - in it helmets were augmented with foam mohawks to reduce injury. An arms race of sorts occurred, culminating in everyone spear tackling and the mohawks growing to huge sizes over the course of several seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Wait, who threw the ball in this gif? If it is the dude way in the back who starts casually sauntering towards his murder victims then that guy is a dick. Two people are dead.

• Locked thread