Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Reddit is a cesspit for any kind of discussion of this crisis, highest rated comment in most threads is about how that little boy is "nothing special, kids die everyday, who would have children during wartime" "The literal opposition of Canada is "far left". gently caress that cesspit.

I've literally not seen any decent discussion whatsoever anywhere about this. I'm glad there is some kind of outrage here, not against the immigration, but the wanton treatment asylum seekers are facing in their struggle to escape literal hell on earth.

The positive outlook so many have when interviewed, simply for being the hell away from Syria is something special, and the reactionaries online are determined to pretend they're all a product of radical Islamism, and not of a region destabilized by a united developed world effort.

Sorry for ranting, but it's a lot to get my head around lately, basically thanks for this thread.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

How common are deaths like the large group found in Austria? That incident sounds like what some immigrants traversing through Mexico have dealt with via "coyotes" who steal their cash and ditch the locked cargo vehicle in the Chihuahua desert.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think the United States should accept refugees in a large number.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yes totally a little girl did that.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also Sweden will elect Nazi's as an entire government soon.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Baron FU posted:

Shut the hell up. These things happen, especially in low income areas where extremism thrives. You are in no position to question how a working class/poor ethnic Swede feels or their experiences regarding islamic immigrants.

I'm tired of rich and intolerant people on this forum hating on the poor and working class.

Ugh gently caress yeah we're gonna question 'working class' Swedes who are bigoted and will elect a former Neo Nazi Prime Minister.

European feelings aren't going to be respected because your xenophobia is killing thousands.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Get these people off the boats and into proper living quarters throughout Europe and the United States shouldn't just wait for these people to 'make it'. Bring them here if Europeans can't be helped to look at their man-made disaster square in the face.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Celexi posted:

it really has to do with US policy in middle east and nothing to do with europe minus UK and russia.

Do not pretend France, UK, and oh that's right I forgot about Poland., had no part to play in the destabilization of the Middle East. France fucks with Africa a lot too, another refugee crisis area.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Kurdi's family fled from Damascus to Aleppo in 2012, and then to Kobani after fighting in Aleppo picked up. He and his family were absolutely displaced by Assad. Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting.

In other news, the pundits in Kafranbel, Syria had a protest yesterday.

:lol: Syria is so much more hosed up than just Assad, those people are no more informed than the refugees who said gently caress it and left.

War isn't going to solve poo poo, because we have a proven track record of not giving a poo poo about that part of the world once we blow it up and pat ourselves on the back for it.

Everybody is just coyly whistling past the grave yard as if they know any drat thing, but military involvement has been a catastrophe not a cure. Assad isn't going away, get over it.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 6, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

XMNN posted:

Cameron was sticking to "We can only solve this at source" until he was embarassed by that dead boy. Like bombing the poo poo out of ISIS and Assad was going to help all the people who are currently refugees drowning in the sea. If it will even help anyone.

No Assad is the sole problem, now please support the mass bombardment of people who have no idea how the gently caress they're even going to make it through the week alive.

Seriously Cameron, and the Tories are vile, and I can't imagine the state of electoral politics that the Tories gained a majority.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 6, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Volkerball posted:

If you're gonna try your hand at whitesplaining, at least try not to be militantly wrong about everything. I never said Assad was the sole problem, but he's the one responsible for the current state of Syria, the vast majority of deaths, and the vast majority of displacement. Ironically, a lot of refugees who knew they could talk the talk fled to ISIS held territory for a while, because it was spared the bombings for a year or two while the regime let them take care of some of the moderate rebel groups that actually presented a long term threat to the regime. Without Assad's bombings, there would be safe places in Syria outside of Rojava. But the bombings happen, and that's 90% of why half of Syria's population is displaced, the majority of whom were displaced by 2013 before ISIS even really existed in Syria. Would you at least maintain consistency and say it's wrong to bomb ISIS because of the civilian casualties that campaign causes? Because if you think ISIS is so depraved that civilian casualties are acceptable, but there's no good reason to destroy the regimes means to bomb bakeries and hospitals, you have no clue about the reality in Syria.

You will not be able to tie anti-war sentiment with being pro-ISIS, I will not play that game, and I have always been consistent, I'v always said Assad is going nowhere, and you continue to believe his downfall is just around the corner.

The guy has Russian dollars, and Russian soldiers, the conflict has grown far beyond your simple deductions that "OOGA BOOGA IF ONLY LEFTISTS GET HEAD OUT OF rear end AND BOMB BAD MUSLIMS TO SAVE GOOD MUSLIMS".

The United States should attend to this refugee crisis, not create dozens more of them.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 6, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stop the Squirrels. - Tony Abbot Prime Minister of Kuwait.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

tsa posted:

Yea how dare Geraldo Rivera actually report news by giving away where U.S. Soldiers were.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

/r/worldnews informed me the UK only has enough land mass to support 65 million people and no more.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Unknown Dyne posted:

Do you think the German people will sit idly by while traitors in their own Government cause the forced dissolution of German culture and of the very German people themselves?

Fascists will get their poo poo wrecked again. :shrug:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The evidence employed right now against accepting further refugees is that ISIS has claimed 5000 holy warriors have already infiltrated Europa since the crisis began.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

ISIS claims a lot of things. Doesn't make them valid.

I think it's rather funny people who are rather xenophobic and anti-Muslim online, who post about constantly killing/torturing ISIS, are prepared to take their bullshit very passionately at face value if it enables their own bigotry.

Afterall: "GERMANY TAKING IN HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF ISLAMOFASCISTS"

"THIS IS UNSUSTAINABLE, GERMANY WILL CHANGE, MERKEL SAID SO"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

So do you think that first world countries are obligated to just open their borders up and allow hundreds of millions of desperately poor people to flow in?

So now it's hundreds of millions of them is it?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Did Denmark participate in the Iraq War?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Apparently Swedish politicians want to put refugees on remote islands, and Swedes are saying refugees would be ungrateful to oppose this measure, and that they've already obtained a better life "without lifting a finger".

Racist Euros now have to pretend refugees all took a plane to Europe now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Reminder the UK expenses scandal is probably all over Euro parliaments as well, so basically gently caress off with this "woe is us poor Europeans". They're all crooked bastards, squeeze 'em with taxes and get these people housed and fed. Also the United States should be looking at way way more than only 65,000.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fader Movitz posted:

Uh, do you have a source for that? I haven't seen anything in Swedish media about it, and we don't have any remote islands. :confused:

Sorry Norwegian politicians. Wrong country.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...e-10498859.html

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mikemil828 posted:

If you are really, REALLY desperate to get to the U.S., sure. Is anyone that desperate? No. Why? Because Europe is just plain the better option, even with the bandits, authoritarian police, etc.

It's because it's closer. Some will come to Texas* our roads are better

*ignore bad things please.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mikemil828 posted:

Given how much Houston ended up resenting taking in actual Americans after Hurricane Katrina, it's pretty funny to think how they would react to having 30,000 Syrians show up.

North Houston suburbs has a lot of assholes with money to spend on complaining about Black people and Muslims, true.

edit: I think there are suburbs in east Houston as well.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Turns out Euro border blockades don't mean poo poo.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Not long until Hungarians will be fleeing Russian tanks, I doubt anybody will give them poo poo for being refugees.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Italians do not want their wages and hours undercut. The Greeks though? Pillage their nation for the good of the Volk. :smug:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ferguson was mocked as its residents burning it down 'over nothing'. The refugee homes burned in Germany were 'sad' but to be expected when the government ignores racist white wishes apparently.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

A good third of the Syrian refugees registered at the employment services in Sweden as of sometime this summer (I forget exactly when) had at least some university education (cut-off was 2 years, I think). Well above other refugee groups.

Excuse me but this doesn't connect well with SERIOUS REPORTS of roving Islamist gangs that patrol Swedish streets enforcing sharia law and control the Riksdag.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

freelancemoth posted:

Discussing immigration on SA is like talking to a pro-lifer; talk about compromise and you are evil.

What's the compromise?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

freelancemoth posted:

Taking into account the needs of Europeans and the migrants.

Nonsense! It's an election year!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Racists don't have epiphany's.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Immigrants and people who don't bother to learn english get rich and do well in America. In Europe they have to deal with Hungarians.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Somebody posted a story/link in GBS that refugees arriving in Finland were leaving because it was too cold and boring?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Overpaid Neanderthal Jeremy Clarkson wanted Britain's driver test to emulate Finland's because they all drift and do crazy things and then you realize it's like 300 of them max in any given decade that do motor sport and nobody's actually met a Finnish motorsport star because he's inside his house.

:lol: here it is:

Tornio (Finland) (AFP) - Hundreds of predominantly Iraqi migrants who have travelled through Europe to reach Finland are turning back, saying they don't want to stay in the sparsely-populated country on Europe's northern frontier because it's too cold and boring.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Great European Model. Bullies in every corner of society.

http://www.rt.com/news/316485-activists-steal-dog-homeless/

RT posted:

Cause Animal Nord called the homeless man, “a Roma.” This followed the publication of a police report, after the man had filed a complaint against the group for stealing his dog, which was stated to be a Pekinese puppy.

“So a Roma, but whatever. In any case the dog is not a Pekinese… Or were there other dogs on the sidewalk?”

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 27, 2015

• Locked thread