Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

hardly any west africans come to europe outside of france wtf dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there's a problem of human trafficking of nigerians in particular, but that is hardly their fault and they are hardly middle class

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Lascivious Sloth posted:

For someone who claims others are ignorant of refugee policy/facts globally you sure don't have much of a grasp yourself.

" and for Europe to start relief and assistance efforts in the countries bordering Syria."

Europe does contribute quite a lot to relief and assistance efforts in the countries bordering Syria that host refugees, which are Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, and Turkey. Turkey and Lebanon take the most, which is nothing near what Europe have. This emergency response is run through the UN with orgs such as UNHCR, UNICEF, Save the Children, and many others, as well as local NGOs. EU governments and private and public donors provide grants to relief and assistance efforts in each of these countries acting through the UN emergency response plan, as well as the UNs own central emergency response fund, which is money gathered from all around the world on standby for emergencies.

"in the long term, measures must be taken to pacify the major refugee-generating situation in eurasia and africa, the most prominent of which are Afghanistan, Syria, South Sudan and Eritrea. The refugee crisis can only be resolved if the situations producing refugees are resolved.''

The major-generating situation in eurasia and africa is a badly worded sentence, but I assume you mean "Where most refugees arriving in Europe come from" which are currently, in order; Syria, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Eritrea, Pakistan and Serbia. So you got a few, but South Sudanese do not go by boat or land to Europe, generally. They are mostly Internally Displaced People in South Sudan or refugees in neighboring countries. I'd say that's because they are landlocked and extremely poor so can't afford to travel to Europe.

yes we're doing things, we are not doing enough and what we're doing is in large part half-arsed. we need to have a long-term plan, is what i'm saying, not just emergency measures, because this civil war isn't going anywhere, and living for years in refugee camps is a recipe for any number of disasters. atm we're funding refugee camps and provisional solutions. this is not sustainable in the medium or long term.

for your other point, those were the major refugee hotspots i recalled off the top of my head, so it's obviously incomplete. refugee crises of this sort are obviously not isolated to europe, and if this current crisis is telling us anything it's that the world is increasingly interconnected - another country i left out is Colombia, where millions are fleeing the civil war between the government and FARC, for instance - i also deliberately did not mention the perennial palestinian crisis because the post you responded to was in the Mid-East NO I/P DISCUSSION thread. regardless, this is nitpicking, and far from as devestating to the central point that you seem to imagine it is.

you're also conflating actual refugees with mainly economic migrants from the balkans, and assuming that i'm discussing purely european problems, which is reading quite a lot into my post which is not actually there. my position is that every major refugee crisis is a global problem, though obviously american problems are more convenient for other parties to help with.

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 4, 2015

• Locked thread