Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

SorcerousHam posted:

As a complete outsider to Europe, how is this distribution meant to work with the Schengen (sp?) agreement or whatever allows people to move freely through the EU?

I mean, if they can be distributed elsewhere and then immediately pack up and go back to Germany... how is this going to work? Are they going to force them to stay put? Are they going to reintroduce border controls?

I was about to ask this too. Won't the refugees just go back to Germany? Or are we just going to lock them up in secured apartments to make sure they stick?

Also how does the distribution work? why does refugee A get to go to Germany but refugee B has to go to some Eastern country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

willemw posted:

It doesn't work, that's the whole problem :)

Even without the flaws this proposal seems like a too little too late kinda deal. Shuffling a few migrants around probably won't help when thousands more enter Europe every week.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

waitwhatno posted:

The more I see pictures like this, the more I realize that western culture is just not compatible with western values.

Is Poland officially western now? When did this happen?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

At this point Hungary might be doing them a favor by closing the border. the refugees will probably have a much better time going through Croatia.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Istrian posted:

Live action from the Hungarian/Serbian border: http://www.rt.com/on-air/hungarian-border-police-refugees/

Look like some clashes happened earlier...

Guardian is reporting teargas and watercannon usage.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

At least 20 Hungarian officers have also been injured. This is probably going to turn out real ugly.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

So Croatia has now made a statement that they are full and the military has been put into a ready stance. Any bets on the border closing before the end of the week?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

GaussianCopula posted:

To be fair to Croatia, they did handle the situation according to the treaties they signed, in contrast to Italy, Austria, Hungary, Greece who just want the refugees to go away and be someone else's problem. If they now say "we can't handle anymore refugees" that's their perrogative, especially since Serbia, a country that has an active application to the EU, can be classified as safe 3rd country, in which the refugees would have to apply for asylum.

I'm not really making GBS threads on Croatia or anything. So far most of the smaller countries have done the exact same thing. Just wondering what the next route is for the refugees if Croatia also stops letting them through.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Tesseraction posted:

What are these changes to employment T&C that's causing your mass demonstrations at the moment anyway? Did your government try legalising whippings or something?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/16/finland-economy-pm-idUSL5N11M4ED20150916

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

An integrated person respects and follows the values and laws of their new country ( and thus is willing to abandon any traditions that go directly against them). They can also communicate with other locals (in some countries english is enough) and can take care of their daily poo poo without assistance.

just my 2 (euro) cents.

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 18, 2015

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

What 'end of the line'? Africa will have 4 billion people by 2020, the increase in large part due to the gifts of western medicine and aid.

You mean by 2100? Right?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Many parts of Africa also lack the infrastructure that's needed to maintain super dense populations.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Hungary is covering all the bases:

This is apparently an ad in a Lebanese newspaper.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

kalven posted:

I haven't heard much about the refugees Sweden move to Finland in the papers here. Does anyone have a good source about that? Not in finnish please because I cant read that.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/more_migrants_on_friday_than_in_nearly_a_century/8317074

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I assume the "no" countries will not be participating?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Won't the EU quotas stop the refugees from picking and choosing which country they want to go to?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Ligur posted:

Probably not, dear dickwizard, unless something like "they would lose all benefits for three years if they leave" is introduced, but it probably won't be because human rights this and that. Also what about the 500k or so asylum seekers who remain outside of the quota? They will still pick and choose. Right now asylum seekers refuse to give fingerprints or register themselves in countries they don't want to be in, if some quota system is placed, they will try to avoid being quotaed to the bitter end and those who end up in Eastern Europe will gently caress off right away.

My question was made under the assumption that the EU will not complete and hilariously botch the entire quota system (this will probably happen).

Also, now that the precedent has been set the EU can in theory distribute any number of refugees.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

DarkCrawler posted:

I mean how hard it is to just create some form of EU refugee residence permit/identification that shows which country they were assigned to? If they love Germany so much that they will then move there and live illegally outside the system, they won't be having any benefits paid to them so what is the issue?

Obviously if the system is well designed and implemented it will have measures in place to stop people from picking countries. I just think that the system probably won't be that well designed.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Based on a quick look at some population stats I'd guess most of the Ethiopian/Kenyan people in Finland are migrants rather than refugees. I think that is going to skew the employment values somewhat.

Correct me if I'm wrong

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Starshark posted:

The question remains: Are they going to be unemployed forever if they get educated? And if so, why?

Yes, many of them are going to remain unemployed for reasons such as:

PTSD and other mental health issues refugees tend to have.

Lack of language skills (finnish is one of the harder languages to learn).

companies rather picking native workers (racism).

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Tesseraction posted:

How common is it for Finnish speakers to be decent at Swedish? Would it be a suitable foreign-workers language?

Swedish is mandatory on every school level from primary school to university. In theory most finns should be able to speak swedish.

In practice however the entire system has been rigged to make sure everyone passes no matter their actual ability to speak swedish.

Some students do actually learn to speak fluent swedish, but many of them lose that skill over the years because swedish is very rarely used in Finland.

Swedish may help foreigners with some government services but you still won't be able to talk with most of the locals

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

SaltyJesus posted:

A modest proposal: since Finnish and Hungarian are distantly related we should emigrate all Hungarians into Finland or vice versa and give the now-empty country to the refugees.

I haven't yet decided which option sounds more appealing, forcing the refugees to live in the bleak wastelands of Finland would be cruel so I'm leaning towards emptying out Hungary.

We could take all the ethnic Estonians and repopulate the countryside with them. This would leave a small country for the refugees/Russians.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Here's a useful chart that will explain the finnish language:

As you can see it's really quite simple

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 24, 2015

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

who can say :shrug:

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

How can the refugees make transactions if they don't speak the country's main language?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Also, many refugees may send money to relatives in foreign countries which means most of their money will never go to the local economy.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

It's not Keynesian, it's the broken window school of economics.

Windows will certainly be broken when the riots start in central Europe.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Freezer posted:

Finland was barely on my radar before this thread. Now I have them categorized as backwards xenophobes with delusions of grandeur. Good job keeping the immigrants out of the barren jobless frozen tundra I guess.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Starshark posted:

There are no "real refugees" in an Australian camp, they all get sent to third-world hellholes or back to where they came from.

Interesting. It seems Europe still has a lot to learn about proper refugee management.

Out of curiosity, how does Australia differentiate between refugees and economic migrants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The "bad reputation" thing clearly isn't working. During the last few weeks Finland has gone to great lengths to ruin its international image, yet
the Iraqis still consider it the number one option:

http://news.yahoo.com/finland-suddenly-top-choice-iraqi-migrants-103912617.html

• Locked thread