Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I didn't see a thread for this, if someone wants to make this a Credit Union thread I can edit in an OP if someone makes a good one.

So basically, like many people I'm sick of Banks and would like to check out credit unions but don't really know where to start or what to look for.

Here are a couple of good links.

Five Bes Credit Unions - Lifehacker
A Smarter Choice
41 Best Banks & Credit Unions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
What area do you live in? I am in the PNW and rather like BECU and FTFCU. I bank with the latter (and have for a decade), and I have family at the prior - plus they're one of the highest rated CU's nationally.

Dazzo
Jun 22, 2006

I'm a huge fan of Alliant (alliantcreditunion.com). Their savings account interest rate is currently 0.946% and checking interest rate is 0.648%, it's easy to find a no fee ATM for withdrawals and even if you can't they will reimburse ATM fees, and they have amazing customer service.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Dazzo posted:

I'm a huge fan of Alliant (alliantcreditunion.com). Their savings account interest rate is currently 0.946% and checking interest rate is 0.648%, it's easy to find a no fee ATM for withdrawals and even if you can't they will reimburse ATM fees, and they have amazing customer service.

I've had nothing but great experiences with Alliant, in fact just this week I closed on a house and Alliant called me for two wire transfers, said I could save money on the fee if they put the money in one account before sending it through so I wouldn't have to pay two wire transfer fees. What bank does that? I was very impressed.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I continue to sing the praises of BECU here in Washington State.

They have been so good to us for the last 12 years or so....we really plan to stay with them for a long time.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm actually in Washington State, and I've heard good things about Alliant. What's the benefit of going with a local state CU over something like Alliant?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm actually in Washington State, and I've heard good things about Alliant. What's the benefit of going with a local state CU over something like Alliant?
Probably nothing. You can go into any CU (basically) and withdraw all your monies no problem. The only thing I am unsure of is certified checks, but I assume that is something all CUs will do for a small fee - First Tech does it for free. And that is literally the only time I've been into FTF in the last 1.5yrs!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Disco Salmon posted:

I continue to sing the praises of BECU here in Washington State.
They have been so good to us for the last 12 years or so....we really plan to stay with them for a long time.

-Blackadder- posted:

SiGmA_X posted:

Probably nothing. You can go into any CU (basically) and withdraw all your monies no problem. The only thing I am unsure of is certified checks, but I assume that is something all CUs will do for a small fee - First Tech does it for free. And that is literally the only time I've been into FTF in the last 1.5yrs!

TBH I have not had to use certified checks in years and years so I don't know if BECU does that or not. Most likely they do...they seem to have everything else covered, including medallion signatures. I also get 4% interest rate for the first $500 in checking and main savings, and a blended rate afterwards. So overall, its not bad :)

Alliant is great too from what I hear :) I will be opening an account with them as well soon, but BECU is nice IMHO because of the fact you can go into a branch if needed and speak to a person, as well as deposit cash etc. Its nice to have that option. I love the online banks, but I really like having the actual bank to go to when needed. I am kind of old fashioned I guess in that respect.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 8, 2015

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Well I am in Washington but I'm not really near a BECU branch. However I looked at some CU review sites and apparently BECU is really popular and well known despite being local, it had more reviews than Alliant on the sites I saw.

I'd like a good online banking setup, free checking, and a nice low interest cc, since I only have a rewards card.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

Well I am in Washington but I'm not really near a BECU branch. However I looked at some CU review sites and apparently BECU is really popular and well known despite being local, it had more reviews than Alliant on the sites I saw.

I'd like a good online banking setup, free checking, and a nice low interest cc, since I only have a rewards card.

Well, I love the online system they have...its pretty good. At least I think so! They recently started a few months back, the online check deposit through the app so I use that a ton.

Checking is free, and we just got our credit card updated with the new low rate of 6.9% from 8% if that helps any :) Only thing is I wish the same day payment would go through faster for the VISA. Right now, if I do it early, like 6am that morning from checking to the VISA....it will usually be credited to my acct by about 9ish that night. One thing though for a rewards card.... BECU offers one on their VISA, but its a $25 year fee to upgrade the VISA to that. I never used the rewards much they offered tbh. I usually just do the cash back option.

The car loan, the LoC, and HELoC all go thru quickly though so that is nice.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
A credit union that has Kasasa checking/savings account programs is probably worth checking out. My credit union (Trailhead CU, only available in Portland's Multnomah county or immediate family members who have an account) gives up to 3% APY for checking and 1.5% APY for the savings account. That's only on the first $10,000, after $10,000 it goes to whatever their standard APY is. The terms seem to be the same for normal bank "free" checking accounts: 10 debit card purchases, at least one direct deposit or ACH automatic debit post and clear, receive/review monthly eStatements. APY seems to depend on the credit union, but as far as I can tell they all are above the normal rates. Also all ATM fees are reimbursed and I don't think there's a limit to how much they reimburse. Kasasa isn't everywhere, but their site links you to a website that gives APY percentages here https://www.depositaccounts.com/kasasa/

I've honestly only had good experiences and heard good experiences with credit unions. I've had one in California and one in PDX and both have been great. Golden 1 credit union has branches up and down California. I only went into the branch once or twice, but I never had any problems and everyone is always super friendly. Some of my family uses Valley First with no complaints that I've heard - My grandma has had an account for 20+ years and shes the type to complain loudly if she has an issue ever. It's only in California's Central Valley & Oakland. It has the Kasasa program, but only offers 1.50% APY.

It might be worth updating the OP with location and credit union people post? :)

e: I find it amusing, but it took a year before I actually stepped foot into my current credit unions branch. Everything was done online and via email (scanned drivers license, etc, to their accounts person).

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 9, 2015

Princess Putout
Aug 10, 2004

HI, I IS DAISY
I'm a big fan of https://www.navyfederal.org/. Membership criteria can be limiting, but if you've got a military/DoD family member or split living costs with a member, you can get membership. Biggest credit union in the nation, pretty consistently top tier in terms of rates and customer service.

Alternately, if you've got military in your family you can go with https://www.usaa.com/. Not technically a credit union, but also has an excellent track record for rates and customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm with BECU and one of the nice things is that their smartphone app has check depositing by photo. I get the occasional phishing phone call but they're pretty obvious.

• Locked thread