Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Project hit the first stretch goal for more pretty pictures, and there's a new one up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552912590/fellowship-a-tabletop-adventure-game/posts/1351127

quote:

The 12.5 thousand dollar stretch goal will be to vote on a new playbook for a member of the fellowship. After the kickstarter ends, I'll put up a list of playbooks I have ideas for, and everyone who has backed will get to vote for their favorite. Top-voted playbook will get a full write up in its own mini-PDF, with the new playbook, new companions, new fellowship moves, a new Destiny, a painting by Maddi Gonzalez in the same form as the ones we just funded, and character artwork by H.P. Heisler.

If there's any kind of people you really want to see included in this vote, please, post about it in the comments. If your concept gives me good ideas, it may make the vote list!

Some ideas I have already:

The Constructed, for playing as a hero who was created or built for this mission. They would be based heavily on Inverse World's Golem playbook.

The Ghoul, for playing as a zombie, vampire, or similarly hungry undead creature. The core move I have in mind is for eating your enemies to regain your strength.

The Pair, which would be about playing as two heroes from different peoples who are completely inseparable. Their core move would be for being in two places at once.

The Spider, which would be based lightly on The Drider playbook I wrote for Dungeon World.

The Spirit, for playing as a hero who has no physical form. Walk through walls, rearrange the environment, be really hard to hurt, and have a lot of trouble harming others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Just voted!

Here's the list of the current playbook concepts from the Kickstarter page for reference:

quote:

The Constructed, for playing as a hero who was created or built for this mission. They would be based heavily on Inverse World's Golem playbook.

The Dragon, for playing a descendant or chosen one of the great dragons, blessed with their power.

The Ghoul, for playing as a zombie, vampire, or similarly hungry undead creature. The core move I have in mind is for eating your enemies to regain your strength.

The Hatchling, a monster who has grown attached to someone in the fellowship and has the power to help them.

The Lizardfolk, a reptilian people who are famed hunters and sneaks. Chameleon people, kobolds, komodo dragons, etc.

The Pair, which would be about playing as two heroes from different peoples who are completely inseparable. Their core move would be for being in two places at once.

The Spider, which would be based lightly on The Drider playbook I wrote for Dungeon World.

The Spirit, for playing as a hero who has no physical form. Walk through walls, rearrange the environment, be really hard to hurt, and have a lot of trouble harming others.

And I would like to take this opportunity to push everyone to vote for The Hatchling. I think the concept would fit well with the way the game is structured and whoever suggested it is probably very smart and handsome it was me

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

^^^I listened to this, it sounded like a lot of fun. Really looking forward to running this for my group in the future.

And the Kickstarter total broke $14,000, so we're up to two playbook votes.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah really liking the changes and the way the game is shaping up. Overcome and Finish Them make a lot more sense now.

Just upped my pledge by a few bucks; hopefully enough people do the same to push up over the next stretch goal.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

If your player is climbing down the pit and not being set upon by a vicious hellbeast at the bottom you're doing elfgames wrong

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

The backer poll results are viewable, though I don't know if the poll has actually closed yet. Surprise surprise, the three most conventional concepts won and we will have the Dragon, the Remnant, and the Constructed. The Pair came in a close fourth.

The Hatchling was in last place :cry:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have a question: this Giant has been mentioned a couple of times, and it seems to be playable based on what Astro Ambulance said. Where can I find it?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552912590/fellowship-a-tabletop-adventure-game/posts/1360580

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Covok posted:

I forget and don't know where to look to find this info: outside the dragon and the giant, what other LE playbooks are coming out?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552912590/fellowship-a-tabletop-adventure-game/posts/1383831

The winners were The Remnant, The Constructed, and The Dragon.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

When the Dragon was picked, I wasn't a big fan. Dragons, ho hum, been there done that.

But I really like how this playbook is shaping up, and the move That Wasn't Even My Final Form has me sold. Excited for a kobold to go SSJ3 at a dramatic moment.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Looks like I bought the color print-on-demand hardback two days before Gnome found the errors and took the option down. :v:

It came in the mail today, and yeah, all the page numbers are jumbled up in a ton of places. I kind of laughed at the back two pages of the Squire's info jumping to 655 and 656. Spookyelectric is right about artifacted images, too. The image in the chapter 4 header has a lot of grainy pixels on it. Looking at the final version of the PDF the same issue is on that, too, but it's definitely more noticeable on the print book. The image opposite of the start of The Orc-Boss destiny also has some noticeable artifacting, which is a lot harder to detect on the PDF. You can see it on a few other images if you squint hard, but that's not as distracting. There's no issue with the cropping of the page numbers in the hardback though.

The poor-resolution images wouldn't be too bad but I was really hoping to use the book to run games IRL with people that are completely new to RPGs and the hosed up numbering would be a pretty lovely barrier for new people. Relying on the PDF would mean asking everyone to haul a laptop over or awkwardly flip through a phone or tablet, too. This is kind of a damper on the whole thing.

Yeah I'm going to have to look into returning my hardcover and see if I can get it refunded/replaced. The cover is beautiful and I like the size and feel of it but the pictures are blurry, low-res garbage and the page number thing makes the book unusable.

I still have the PDF but it'll be difficult when someone asks to look at the book and I tell them to pull it up on their phone. A physical book makes things a lot easier.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I requested a replacement book. They asked for some photos and they shipped it the next day. Got it a week later.

The correctly printed book is nice, though some of the images are poor quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Boing posted:

How do I ramp up the difficulty of that challenge within the rules of Fellowship? In that case, when the Elf said "I want to shoot a dazzling arrow in its face to blind it" as soon as they stumbled into the Giant's lair, how should I have interpreted that? Should I have made a hard Cut immediately to say that the Giant's not to be hosed with, and you need to be cleverer than that to keep it busy? Because that doesn't seem right, it's a perfectly sensible way to create an opening on a giant. Or is the underwhelming nature of that encounter more in how the Orc's single 10+ on Finish Them ended it without a fight? I'd like to use the Overlord Damage rule on more than just Overlords and Generals, if I want to particularly play up a threat, but that's not in the rules so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

We just went and rolled with it, which might actually be what I'm supposed to do in this case, but I'd like to know if I have the option of scaling an encounter's difficulty up and down on the fly like I do in Dungeon World, when I say "you can't just hack and slash, the dragon is bigger and badder than you, you'll need to find a way to its weak spots..." - which Fellowship in principle codifies with the Advantage rule. Am I supposed to be able to say "You can't just Keep It Busy, you'll have to Overcome its attacks first"? It felt like none of the players actually triggered Overcome at all in my session.

If it were me, I would make them do more to actually get an advantage over it. A giant is a huge (literally) threat, and while the arrow is a good idea it's not enough, on its own, to give the party the means to immediately destroy it. It's still 20 feet tall and swinging its weapons or fists in mad arcs trying to land a blow. Maybe they blind it but you make a soft cut and now they have to dodge out of the way of the maddened giant charging blindly at them (using Overcome). Now its blinded but its vital bits are still out of reach, so how is the orc getting up there to deal a mortal blow? Time for someone to roll to Keep It Busy while the orc Overcomes the challenge of climbing up on or getting above the brute. And after each of these actions they have to Overcome another attack by the giant. It slams into a nearby wall sending boulders showering down! Oh no! But finally the orc is above, the folks below have kept its attention, and now the orc has a real strong Advantage over the beleaguered giant and it's time to Finish Them.

atholbrose posted:

After I submitted the photos, they said they needed to investigate the issue. Today I got a mail saying that there had been a problem with the file, and that since they had confirmed a fix, a replacement copy had been ordered and will be on the way. So color me extremely please with Drivethru's customer service.

Yeah I was impressed. They responded to my initial email within half an hour. I was expecting it to take days but they shipped out a replacement in no time.