Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm really glad I read the thread before I bought the book. I'll hang out and wait for it to get updated/fixed, then you absolutely have my money! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Cat Face Joe posted:

gently caress off

"I had problems with a part of this service and so I will only support it in a way that I feel is reliable."

"gently caress OFF!"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

If anything this is a cautionary tale about using DTRPG for fulfillment. I know of at least one other KS (100 Dungeons) that had issues.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I just wanted to share a great moment I had as a result of this game.

I was describing a Dwarven ship and the Dwarf player held up his finger picked up the description and ran with it. It was seamless and it made me realize how this game has really taught my group not only to share the setting and narrative but to take responsibility for it. The structure of the game really allows us to build the universe in a way that fits with the characters and story.

Thanks, gnome.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

In my current campaign I keep lots of secrets from my players. I'm just 100% open about it. Our Harbinger thought he was the last survivor of an ancient race that ruined their planet thousands of years ago until the Overlord arrived. I'm working closely with him and we've agreed on how he can Command Lore while still keeping the mystery alive. (Basically he gets to Command Lore about the nature and history of his people up to and including the Doom; everything after that is my territory.) Similarly, the players know there is something mysterious going down on the furthest world, even if their characters don't.

Revealing your Weakness to players allows them to direct the story more enjoyably. It allows the players to know they're searching for some sort of glowing magical rocks from another world instead of just shifting about hoping for success. The characters can be ignorant but still head in the correct direction.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It depends on your group, but the "first session" works best if it's people bouncing ideas off each other. I wrote a framework for my setting (just a list of the worlds and broad-stroke descriptions) and then let my players fill in everything.

Ask challenging questions when people get hung up. Don't ask "what do the Dwarves love most?", ask "why can't the Dwarves get enough of what they love most?" Ideal questions should pose a dilemma or problem that can appear on play.

As with anything PbtA, say yes to as much as possible and then build on it.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I encouraged my players to rethink and reskin. Our Elf player ended up designing them as snake-people who were the last bearers of the tech that the Harbinger's race left behind when they peaced out of the system.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

We wrapped up my Fellowship campaign tonight.

The Overlord, a survivor of a long-dead precursor race called the Kaiyans that once ruled over the Thirteen Worlds and created all of the other races, invaded from beyond the stars to bring Order and Peace to the system. The rag-tag Fellowship consisted of: a whimsical snake-like Blue Elf who wanted justice for her people who had been oppressed by Red Elves; a Dwarf who stole a ship and escaped when his people sided with the Overlord; a Uranen Prince from a comet passing back through the system after a thousand-year absence; and the other other surviving Kaiyan who was held in suspended animation for milennia (Harbinger).

They had a number of great adventures (including making a devil's pact with star dragon) and scored some big strokes against the Overlord, finally coming to a head when they figured out a way to return to the ruined planet of Kaiya where it was revealed that the Kaiyans didn't die, they ruined their planet in a bid to escape the system and their corporeal forms. There they confronted the Overlord and, in a surprise upset, defeated her!

I activated my final Move and revealed the ultimate Big Bad, a cyborg Kaiyan who was coming to assimilate everything. They faced him tonight and won peace and prosperity for the scarred but undeterred Worlds and their Peoples.

Gnome, I just want to say Thank You for writing this game. We had so much fun and the system was largely responsible for enabling the characters to feel like heroes while allowing me to chew it up as the Overlord. Not since the first time we played Fiasco has a game really fascilitated this much enjoyment and excitement.

Also, please finish The Horizon so that I can run my peaceful exploration game.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Generals are bosses. When they show up, the Fellowship can expect to expend significant resources if they decide to stand toe to toe. This can be a Balrog, an apprentice Dark Lord of the Sith, or an Alliance Operative. They're the perfect way to end an act of your story or something to throw at the players if it's getting too easy, depending on how you run a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I really enjoy The Horizon; it's perfect for a loose sort of hexcrawl. It would be really neat if some of the moves/advances centered around environmental dangers: storms, wild animals, starvation, getting lost, things like that. I dunno, maybe a Ryuutama-style game would require a very different sort of Overlord.