Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I'm trying to get a website off the ground focusing on teaching the physically disabled how to create music with their computer. I'd also be reviewing software that helps with accessibility towards that goal.

Here is my dilemma. I currently receive SSI as my only source of income and Medicaid in NJ and I am worried what implications receiving donated software would have for my benefits.

I would have a website I pay hosting for with video content hosted on a youtube or vimeo channel. I'm not looking for money and any software licenses I receive from interested developers would be Not For Resale.

I would eventually like to go to trade shows and give free courses if this finds any success.

I am wondering what if any tax reporting I would have to do for review copies and other NFR stuff that might be donated. Since I'm not looking to receive any monetary donations would I need to sign any tax forms to start this?

I've had a really tough time finding info on this especially relating to SSI.

Thanks for any info you guys might have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I think you would have to create a legal organization of some kind and then apply to the IRS for charitable status. The new organization will have its own tax ID and require its own tax forms filed annually, and will have absolutely nothing to do with your SSI, unless volunteering for any charity would somehow show that you are in fact capable of earning a living for yourself.

Basically, follow these steps:

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/am-i-ready/how-to-create-a-501c3-tax-exempt-non-profit

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/small-nonprofits-qualifying-tax-exempt-status-without-filing-irs-application.html

Could this apply to me? I'm not in a position to obtain legal services. If I keep it small would it work? As I said, I'd only accept software donations that I can't sell back. If I keep things small and have a paper trail is that feasible?

Spoke Lee fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 9, 2015

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You are not the non profit. Any income it receives is not taxable income to you. Now if you get benefit from these items that is income to you and expense to the not for profit. Unless you are a church you will need to file a tax return and should incorporate in your state. You probably should form a board of directors. Filing for a determination letter is not that hard or expensive though you can easily do it yourself. You can also probably from the corporation online with your secretary of state for $40.

• Locked thread