Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Don't they have treatments for dementia? I could swear I read that they had ways of holding it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Neruz posted:

Invading Russia is a terrible idea and unless you happen to be called Genghis Khan you are best advised not to do it.

And the only reason Genghis Khan managed it was because back then, Russia wasn't as full of freaking Russians. Yeah, general Winter deserves his due, but reading about Stalingrad etc., I've got mad respect for the common Soviet soldier, even counting the atrocities they perpetrated in German territory. I know it's hardly decent to say so, but after reading about the various atrocities the Nazis performed, there were times when I read about said Soviet atrocities and thought 'loving krauts deserved everything they got, and another ten dollars' worth besides'.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, it doesn't, really, not at all- you don't defeat evil with evil. But god-drat, it was hard to keep that sense of satisfaction down at the time.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Neruz posted:

Nazis of course being well known for making good and sensible decisions with regards to digging up ancient evils and dark magic. :v:

We talking about real or fictional Nazis here? :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Neruz posted:

TNO definitely subverts the Nazi\WWII genre standards in that it depicts the Nazis as actual human beings rather than acceptable targets yes.

Honestly, I think presenting them like this makes the Nazis more easily hated, not less. We can laugh at a monster who cries MEIN LEBEN while goose-stepping to some pompous arsehole with a funny moustache's speeches. It's less funny, and more terrifying, if we learn about family men going to work, executing thousands and then going home to a perfect nuclear family, or about a traumatized veteran and decorated war hero who focuses his patriotism in the most horrifying directions. It reminds us that evil can come from anywhere, and that simply having a democracy does not make us safe.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
No, BJ, I am your father!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So, just out of curiosity, is Annette a lesbian? Because that's the kind of vibe I'm getting when she talks about Katrin but at the same time I realize she could just be talking fondly about a friend, especially someone who showed he kindness in this really dark time, I'm just curious if that ever gets addressed or if its up for the player to decide.

Does it really matter? Maybe they're close friends, or maybe since it's 1946, that sort of thing doesn't get talked about by anyone. In any case thought, it's not going to stop Anette from going full-on :black101: on any Nazi zombie (or Nazi, for that matter) in the way.

Also, Lazyfire, I think that killing Nazis is a universally good thing, so BJ still doesn't deserve monsters coming after him :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AradoBalanga posted:

Moonwalking super soldiers. Sure, why not? Probably the least hosed up thing BJ has seen over the years.

Training for the Lunar mission undoubtedly :v:

• Locked thread