Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

So basically I have an Xbox 360 with a 20GB hard drive. I want to use this Fujitsu MHW2120BH that someone game me instead.

The Internet claims it should work, I just have to flash it with the appropriate HDDSS.BIN: http://beta.ivc.no/wiki/index.php/Xbox_360_Hard_Drive_Upgrade

This website even has the HDDSS.BIN available for download! Amazing!

Of course it turns out that hddhackr.com only works for WD hard drives, not Fujitsu. So why is that HDDSS.BIN even there? No idea.

I tried to dd it to the Fujitsu drive under Linux, but it turned out that it was *already on the drive*. A diff of the relevant sectors showed they were identical.

After zeroing out the first 50,000 bytes (as recommended by some other jerkoff online) the drive showed up as a USB storage device on the Xbox using the USB connection kit, but could only be formatted to 16GB capacity on the Xbox, and was completely undetectable when plugged into the actual SATA port.

So yeah, is this fixable? Can a non-Xbox MHW2120BH be converted to an Xbox drive or do I have to go give my firstborn to Microsoft?

Edit: also when the hell did I get a Garbage Dick icon, that's new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The bin file is there because you can rip it. You just can't write it to another drive. Get a WD drive.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

That's like, what, uploading an encrypted file to which the key has been literally set on fire. So it's completely useless, but it's there anyway just in case someone wants to download it and stare at it? What the gently caress?

• Locked thread