Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soulfucker posted:

Patch is good, for me the problem will be to get new people to start playing the game to begin with. "Hi-Rez patched Tribes? THAT Hi-Rez? After how many years? I'm sure they'll keep supporting their game and listen to the wishes of the communithahaha"
Other problem is sperglords who competed against Russian Empire in Tribes 1 closed alpha, who will outright murder majority of players for longer than many would find reasonable nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Izam
Jun 6, 2005

kalstrams posted:

Other problem is sperglords who competed against Russian Empire in Tribes 1 closed alpha, who will outright murder majority of players for longer than many would find reasonable nowadays.

For the newbloods/newbies who feel intimidated we could try setting up a workshop. I'm sure most of it will just be figuring out mouse sensitivity, inis, sharpening movement fundamentals, and flag awareness.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Izam posted:

For the newbloods/newbies who feel intimidated we could try setting up a workshop. I'm sure most of it will just be figuring out mouse sensitivity, inis, sharpening movement fundamentals, and flag awareness.

imo a workshop will just be a huge circlejerk. just make a video that is reasonably edited so its not 10minutes of "uhh.. *click click*"

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

When I was learning to play Tribes I watched a shitload of mid-air montages. It helped my leading game immensely. These are Tribes 1 vids but the principle's the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qY8s7X-f30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2et3cKlSSk

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

I just jumped into a game and this guy was still doing this same poo poo with absolutely zero response from the rest of the server. His dedication to this dumb joke is astonishing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

treat posted:

I just jumped into a game and this guy was still doing this same poo poo with absolutely zero response from the rest of the server. His dedication to this dumb joke is astonishing.
Can't let your dreams be steel beams, man.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Remember when the Plasma gun had a bigass hitbox? Whip out your heavy bolt launchers!

Edit: loving autocorrect. Get the heavy bolt and score all of the air mails.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 17, 2015

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I was never all that good at Tribes but picking this up again for the first time in years feels ridiculous, picking up CS after a long period of time doesn't even feel this harsh.

It's good and fun now though, even if I agree that the reputation combined with the skill curve will likely stop this from taking off.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Is it just me or are the physics around skiing different? Granted I stopped playing for about 2 years but it feels significantly different and "off."

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Is it just me or are the physics around skiing different? Granted I stopped playing for about 2 years but it feels significantly different and "off."

AFAIK the physics are the same. They did change some masses I think, specifically there is a heavy pack that drops mass 15% which makes a pretty big difference when getting around and makes a heavy feel much closer to a medium.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Everything effectively weighs less, with more self-impulse on top of that. They also changed impulse/disc damage away from the previous "banded" system, now discing behind you shoots you forward, and not up and forward. Have to actually shoot your feet to get vertical boost. I personally think its a really good change, it raises the pace of the game a bit.

Chasing is also now more viable and fun with Rage/LW built into Lights.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Chasing is pretty much required since snipers got (rightfully) nerfed. I chase with Mortars.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Sniping really didn't get nerfed that hard at all. The fact that someone who is sniping also has a disc, chain, and can have a thrust pack also makes them way more versatile. Not that its a bad thing, but any nerf to sniping is a good nerf imo.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Horizontal Tree posted:

Everything effectively weighs less, with more self-impulse on top of that. They also changed impulse/disc damage away from the previous "banded" system, now discing behind you shoots you forward, and not up and forward. Have to actually shoot your feet to get vertical boost. I personally think its a really good change, it raises the pace of the game a bit.

Chasing is also now more viable and fun with Rage/LW built into Lights.
This is not at all what they did. Impulse always has been banded except for a brief time time on the PTS. It is also effectively reduced since they got rid of lightweight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sitchelin posted:

Chasing is pretty much required since snipers got (rightfully) nerfed. I chase with Mortars.

I don't chase, I just aim with a Beowulf :smug:.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Our favourite crazy Tribes 1 goon has now popped up in the Planetside subreddit saying to post frag videos on another reddit. I don't get him.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Horizontal Tree posted:

Our favourite crazy Tribes 1 goon has now popped up in the Planetside subreddit saying to post frag videos on another reddit. I don't get him.
Wait, that weirdo is now advocating Voat on /r/planetside? :laffo:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So, Reddit has Voat, 4chan has 8chan... where do SA users who are too insane for SA go?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Keiya posted:

So, Reddit has Voat, 4chan has 8chan... where do SA users who are too insane for SA go?

Facepunch

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Something Sensitive?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

kalstrams posted:

Something Sensitive?

This

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Just bumping this thread to say the recent patch for T:A is the most fun I've had online in a team-based shooter since TF2.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
New patch, "Snipers are viable again" Edition:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15j_q6GKzvUM7DtXwTfJuMCW_hfErPgaqdL1-5pOgreE/pub

quote:

Phase Rifle
› Locks an Energy pack in your pack slot.
› Phase Rifle sets your energy pool max to 75, 90 with Rage active.
› Damage per energy increased to 5.333 per energy consumed. Up from 3.
› Fully charged shot consuming 75 energy deals 400 damage. up from 375.
› Fully charged shot consuming 90 energy, after Rage buff, deals 480. up from 450.
› With a max energy of 75, time to regen to full charged shot reduced to 5.35 seconds, down from 8.9 seconds.

BXT1
› Locks an Energy pack in your pack slot
› Charge mechanic removed
› Deals 250 damage in scope or out
› Range increased to 20,000, up from 10,000
› Falloff starts at 2,000 and falls off to 100 damage at max range

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Welp, so much for that attempt at reviving Tribes I guess.

Izam
Jun 6, 2005
Read over the patch notes, some really good things going on but the buff to snipers, chain, and hitscan have left me without the desire to even open the launcher let alone play.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I don't think that this patch, or what the patch is fixing, has anything to do with why the revival didn't happen. For me, at least, it was because Mechwarrior Online came out on basically the same day or whatever and I decided to go play there instead.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

quote:

Pressing Q now selects your weapon that was previously in hand.
Votekick now only requires 35% of all players in the server to vote “Yes” to pass. Reduced down from 70%

I may start to play again

Hyped
Jan 28, 2004
Really excited about the saber launcher change.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Vehicles are now generated on a team wide timer.

“At the beginning of the round vehicle timers are started. Once each vehicle's timer has completed, 1 vehicle is generated, up to the limit per vehicle type. Once that vehicle is taken, it is moved from “Generated”, to in play. The vehicle in play still affects the ability to generate more vehicles of that type. For example: The server has limited shrikes to 1. Once generated, that shrike may be claimed by a player. Because the server has limited shrikes to 1, no additional shrikes will be generated until the shrike has been destroyed.”

This is goddamn stupid. Instead of just grabbing a vehicle as you want, now it's a slapfight to get ahold of one.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Good thing they're still useless or it would be a huge problem.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo, Tribes is back?

Izam
Jun 6, 2005
Tribes is kinda back. Servers are active but still flaky, people are occasionally making content, and patches are standard :hirez: : 2 steps forward, one step down the stairwell. Hop on, get an hour's worth of shazbot, if it doesn't tickle your fancy check back in 3 months.

Hyped
Jan 28, 2004
How do you "punt" the flag? It's embarassing how long I've played this game and always in a capper/chaser role that I don't know this.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Aim forward (as in the direction you are moving) and up slightly, hit X, and shoot at almost the same time. Your disc will hit the flag and send it flying, probably killing you in the process.

Hyped
Jan 28, 2004
Awesome thanks I'll try it out

Hyped
Jan 28, 2004
Awesome thanks I'll try it out

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Woops, I think the stock bind for tossing the flag is Z, not X. So hit Z.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
They're still patching. 1.3 is out with a new CTF map: Hellfire.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the hilarious part is the people in the steam comments who apparently didn't get the memo about the revisit to the game and are saying IT'S TOO LATE HIREZ YOU CAN'T BE GONE FOR SO LONG AND TRY TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT like this is apparently the first update in years or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if they are only having updates because they are training a new programmer and this is a good way for him to get used to things.

Namely always being wrong and constantly yelled at no matter what.

That said, VR support would be cool.

• Locked thread