Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cav
Jun 7, 2002

I'm a (3 star) Highway Star.
The NFL is like Game of Thrones, the Patriots are the Lannisters, and they keep winning while everyone is just as bad, but just more incompetent, plus Tywin was the best on the show anyway and you knew you were rooting for him. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cav
Jun 7, 2002

sean10mm posted:

The one takeaway everyone can agree on from all this is that Goodell is literally The Worst.

Roger Goodell is karma's answer to us all questioning how there could ever be a worse sports commissioner than Gary Bettman.

Cav
Jun 7, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't get why the Pats don't embrace the fact they are so good at bending the rules their coach is doing poo poo most people do0n't even think to check for.

It's much more charming than "we're the best ever hurrrrr"

That's my view on it and has been for a long time. But as has been noted, there are a lot of terrible sports fans out there all around.

I am in a 48-team baseball fantasy league using Diamond Mind Baseball (a couple of goons are also in it) and spent 3+ years on Rules Committee. It was basically nonstop dealing with loopholes people would find and determining if there was any sense in changing rules as a result, or people lobbying for rule changes because certain owners got better at working them than others. Basically, it's exactly what the NFL is like, only our commissioner isn't an imbecile constantly throwing temper tantrums because he lets his ego get in the way. Anyway, once people figured out how someone was taking advantage of a loophole, they'd start just making up in their head what you're up to. Like I came up with a method for countering the annual draft by trading players for picks when players are more valuable, then trading the picks back for players at the end of the season when picks are more valuable. Since we can only lose 6 players in the draft, I'm constantly ahead of everyone else. After a while, some owners would suspect on every trade offer I sent them that I had some secret master plan in play that was going to screw them over. And oh yes, there have been plenty of propaganda wars trying to instill the idea that owners are cheaters or their way of playing is invalid for however they're working the system.

In other words, it's pretty much what the NFL goes through, only we have no money in play, and it's a silly fantasy league. So I can only imagine how bad it is a the professional level. I think sports fans are out of their minds if they think their team isn't cheating, working the system or trying to at least bend the rules in some way. As a lifelong Pats fan, I adore Billy Five Aces for being the dirtiest player in the game.

Also, we have a rule in place to cover "spirit of the league" violations and it has been used once in about eight years.

• Locked thread