Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
For me, the most interesting part of this whole process is that Sports Illustrated, and particularly ESPN, organizations that have been more than willing to carry the NFL's water in the past, have to be publishing these stories and operating with either the support of several owners, Goodell himself, or both. These stories are scathing indictments that call the league's fairness into question, and they'd never be published by these sources otherwise. The timing of the SI article is no coincidence.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I understand the immense importance of anonymous sources in journalism and how critical they are for any real shot at investigative reporting in pretty much any context. I don't mean to diminish that even though I appear to be doing so.

Here, this part of an article by Charles Robinson (I have no idea who this is) on Yahoo sums up my feelings on the allegations. Take it or leave it if its reasonable to feel this way or not.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/latest-cheating-allegation-against-patriots-is-most-damning-of-all-180544622.html

You put a fake play script in there because even in a "sting" operation you don't get justice until after the game and you don't want to watch your team's scripted plays get hosed while you wait for justice that occurs weeks later and doesn't change the game's outcome. That's before you consider any other mitigating factors, like being black-balled by the league or an organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WugLyfe posted:

Yeah, I found that to be pretty interesting too. I wonder what's gonna happen to try to get a handle on it all, because if all that stuff really happened, there's a ton of poo poo goin' bananas that just doesn't go away.

Gun to my head, I'd say it's more likely to be a rival group of owners than Goodell, but it'd be one hell of a way to spite Kraft. It also leads me to believe that Goodell may not last past the end of the 2015 season as commissioner.

• Locked thread